F1 | Mercedes Running Controversial Steering System In Barcelona

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Not content with producing clearly the fastest car in Formula One every year since 2014, Mercedes have been trying another new trick in Barcelona today - the much discussed DAS steering system.

DAS I hear you say? What's that? Well, according to Mercedes it stands for Duel-Axis Steering - however the reigning champions are keeping tight lipped as to what the controversial feature actually achieves within the new W11 Grand Prix car.

Thanks to the unprecedented amount of live TV coverage from the opening test sessions of the season, fans and sport insiders would very quickly notice Lewis Hamilton apparently pulling his steering wheel towards him when on the start finish straight at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, only to then push the wheel forwards again just prior to entering the braking zone into T1.

Many suspect the new feature influences the toe settings of their new car, pushing the W11 into very new, and slightly controversial ground.

Mercedes James Allison firmly believes the DAS system is legal, and should be allowed to stay on the car ahead of the Australian Grand Prix - leaving the Formula One field very much in another race to catch back up with the Silver Arrows... again.

“I probably won’t shed a great deal more light than what you saw on the TV but yeah we have a system in the car, it’s a novel idea,” Allison said. “We’ve got a name for it, it’s called DAS, if you’re interested, and it just introduces an extra dimension for the steering, for the driver, which we hope will be useful during the year. But precisely how we use it and why we use it, that’s something we will keep to ourselves.”
"this isn’t news to the FIA, it’s something we’ve been talking to them for some time. The rules are pretty clear about what’s permitted on steering systems and we’re pretty confident that it matches those requirements.”

He added: “I’m pleased we got it on the car, it seems to be useful, and we’ll see over the coming days how it benefits us.”

Original Source: F1.com

Get yourself over to the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment if you want to learn more about the world of Grand Prix racing with our awesome motorsport community.

Mercedes DAS.jpg

Ya... "Mercedes, what is the name of this new system?" "The name is DAS... Das Cheat".

It's the drible of the German Ronaldinho.
hahaha, nice. But I not see as cheat, does not affect aerodynamics or something.
and I guess that FIA will not allow to use on GPs, looks like only testing of new 'feature'.

hahaha, nice. But I not see as cheat, does not affect aerodynamics or something.
and I guess that FIA will not allow to use on GPs, looks like only testing of new 'feature'.
aero - no, but still reduces drag because toe angle

illegal - also no, apperently FIA knew about it since the beginning as was kept up to date so I think it may find use in races aswell, it may get bannend come 2021 but for now it should be allowed, because its mechanical

aero - no, but still reduces drag because toe angle

illegal - also no, apperently FIA knew about it since the beginning as was kept up to date so I think it may find use in races aswell, it may get bannend come 2021 but for now it should be allowed, because its mechanical
Yeah, maybe.. And not help the driver (assist). Maybe FIA will allow this..

I don't see how this system could be legal. Article 10.2.3 of the technical regulations clearly says:

"No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion."

DAS allows the driver to change the toe angle - part of the suspension geometry - while the car is in motion. As soon as one of the other teams lodges a complaint, this system will surely be outlawed

Since Lewis is kinda egoist and not inclined to share his car with me, I can't say what it does. But it fells like more of the good'ol regulation juggling that, usually, don't make F1 more balanced. So, my joke is just a joke with no technical value... but has 97% chance to picture the reality... who knows?

Cheers!

In IndyCar, Chevrolet was dominating when the custom aero kits were introduced. It only took 1 season for the IRL to step in and allow Honda to catch up and balance it out. I'm surprised that after 6 years, the FIA have done almost nothing to either relax regulations or implement rules that would mitigate Mercedes' massive exploitation. Not every team has a half billion to spend...

It's good that Mercedes have put this in the open now so the FIA can make a decision on it before the season starts.

I personally agree with people who have said that it breaks rule 10.2.3 - "No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion"

However this is based on the 2019 regulations, and I've not found a copy of the 2020 regulations yet

Wait a minute...level playing field?
Is this Formula One...home of innovation in motor-sports...or is this kindergarden?
If Mercedes comes up with a novel approach to toe adjustments, why the heck should they have to share it just to appease others?
If it is deemed illegal by the governing body, that's one thing.
It is something entirely different, if teams cry foul simply because they couldn't come up with the concept.
This sport isn't about 'participation trophies'.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 27.8%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 68 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 41 9.8%
  • €3001-5000