F1 | Kubica Secures Reserve Role With Rebranded Alfa Romeo Squad

Well, as an engineer, but without having your magic crystal ball, I would say that this may be caused simply by different aero settings (more downforce in corners, more drag on straights).

Anyway, why don't you just answer maelstroms question ?
Logically reasoning, that could be the case. But why would anyone with a sane mind, run more downforce than direct competitors, with such losses on the straights (on low df tracks like Montreal)?
If that is done at Montreal or Monza, it's done to compensate for a serious problem with the handling.

You don't simply run higher downforce at low downforce tracks (in normal case).

Last edited:
Hang on Russell was utter garbage too though..... compare Russell to Norris.......
Or is it down to the car?
In that case in fairness to Robert if he and Russell were in the Mercs then Russell would of been faster but Robert would of been up front too...
Bottas is slower than Lewis but on paper he is 2nd fastest driver in the world to unthinkers..
Bottas is unbeatable when he has his day, though. It's just that these days don't happen often enough to him.

More in-depth info about the “why”:

Seems like a clever move by Alfa

This where te F1 journo's make me laugh, they are all part of the big propaganda perpetuating myths and dare i say 'fake news'.
Whatever Alfa say about Robert, without Orlens money they wouldn't have gone near him.

Of course he can't drive a loose car, that's why he won WRC stages on gravel :roflmao:

I have seen some fanboys on forums over the years but you make some of the Dale Jr,Jeff Gordon,Forza,RF2 & AC fans look very sensible.You know so much about Kubica yet when someone asks you a relevant question,you dont give an answer & go off on conspiracies or make irrelevant & ridiculous points like this."Part time rally driver can drive his F1 cars loose" because engaging with the actual question might make you admit the truth that RKs career in top line racing was sadly over when he had the bad rally crash years ago.

When RK tested & then got the F1 deal with Williams there was a ton of goodwill from fans hoping that it would work out for him.It is difficult enough for any driver to leave F1 & make a comeback.Schumacher & Kimi were never as fast in part 2 of their careers so with the arm injury & being out for so long RK was going to find it even more difficult.

I have seen some fanboys on forums over the years but you make some of the Dale Jr,Jeff Gordon,Forza,RF2 & AC fans look very sensible.You know so much about Kubica yet when someone asks you a relevant question,you dont give an answer & go off on conspiracies or make irrelevant & ridiculous points like this."Part time rally driver can drive his F1 cars loose" because engaging with the actual question might make you admit the truth that RKs career in top line racing was sadly over when he had the bad rally crash years ago.

When RK tested & then got the F1 deal with Williams there was a ton of goodwill from fans hoping that it would work out for him.It is difficult enough for any driver to leave F1 & make a comeback.Schumacher & Kimi were never as fast in part 2 of their careers so with the arm injury & being out for so long RK was going to find it even more difficult.
Thanks for putting me in good company Jonny!

Thing is, every driver has parts attributed to him and even with a chassis swap, they must bolt these on the car. That's one reason I don't wanted to expand.

I expected to be called a conspiracist here, but really I'm not here to defend Robert.
Also I'm not here to insult, however it's frustrating seeing some ridiculous propaganda making the rounds.

The baseline is it doesn't make sense to judge the performance of either Williams drivers, because the season was a massive sacrifice of performance... First of all, the team is a family business, priority was to save parts.
FFS the whole year all one could listen to on RK's radio, was "lift and coast level 1", "level 2"... all the way to level 5".

He was always being encouraged to use lower engine modes and never push. If you don't believe, log in to F1 TV PRO and see it for yourself.

That his car used parts from winter testing in Barcelona is also no secret, if you dig deep enough.

Trust me, I wouldn't be so determined to explain things for nothing.

You will be (I hope) pleasantly surprised about Robert's form this year.

Last edited:
"I think that day has passed"
"how do you explain why Russell was so much faster in Kubica's car in Spain?"
You might be right, but basing on his style of communication, that is always "underpromise, overdeliver" I still trust in his skills, and he feels stronger with his background vs "old times".
Second question: maybe Former Lotus F1 CEO and Team Principal is giving the answer:
Maybe yes, maybe now, no need to judge. Happy to be able to see another verification in the future.

Last edited:
This where te F1 journo's make me laugh, they are all part of the big propaganda perpetuating myths and dare i say 'fake news'.
Whatever Alfa say about Robert, without Orlens money they wouldn't have gone near him.

That is a terrible article by Mark Hughes.He is normally a good F1 journo.
Alfa Romeo"We heard good things about you from Renault & Williams.They attribute some of their recent success to you because of your great feedback in the simulator"
Kubica "Ok.That's good.How much are you going to pay me to do this simulator work"
Alfa Romeo"We were thinking we could call you a reserve driver,let your sponsors have a couple of stickers on the car & you could pay us $2 million dollars.That way you would add value to the team..."
Thanks for putting me in good company Jonny!

Thing is, every driver has parts attributed to him and even with a chassis swap, they must bolt these on the car. That's one reason I don't wanted to expand.

I expected to be called a conspiracist here, but really I'm not here to defend Robert.
Also I'm not here to insult, however it's frustrating seeing some ridiculous propaganda making the rounds.

The baseline is it doesn't make sense to judge the performance of either Williams drivers, because the season was a massive sacrifice of performance... First of all, the team is a family business, priority was to save parts.
FFS the whole year all one could listen to on RK's radio, was "lift and coast level 1", "level 2"... all the way to level 5".

He was always being encouraged to use lower engine modes and never push. If you don't believe, log in to F1 TV PRO and see it for yourself.

That his car used parts from winter testing in Barcelona is also no secret, if you dig deep enough.

Trust me, I wouldn't be so determined to explain things for nothing.

You will be (I hope) pleasantly surprised about Robert's form this year.

:D Cannot wait for next years excuses.
"RK was not given any time in the car for F! testing"
"RK was given a second string DTM car with old parts"

That is a terrible article by Mark Hughes.He is normally a good F1 journo.
Alfa Romeo"We heard good things about you from Renault & Williams.They attribute some of their recent success to you because of your great feedback in the simulator"
Kubica "Ok.That's good.How much are you going to pay me to do this simulator work"
Alfa Romeo"We were thinking we could call you a reserve driver,let your sponsors have a couple of stickers on the car & you could pay us $2 million dollars.That way you would add value to the team..."

:D Cannot wait for next years excuses.
"RK was not given any time in the car for F! testing"
"RK was given a second string DTM car with old parts"

Next year, I'm going to sit and laugh my ass off on my chair, because I will remember what you wrote here :roflmao:
Screenshots are made and waiting for the day :)

Next year, I'm going to sit and laugh my ass off on my chair, because I will remember what you wrote here :roflmao:

Huh? Who in the hell is going to care about how he gets on in testing?
Or even if he gets out in 1st practise when they all run different tyres fuel etc anyway...he is a tester in 2020, he may well be a great tester, but you will be the only one cheering or caring..

I'll answer with a question: How is it possible that a car loses performance from FP1 to FP2 and from FP2 to Q1? IIRC there were two 'normal' GP weekends where this has not happened.

You didn't answer my original question! You claimed that Kubica's poor performance was down to the chassis he was given. Russell's much faster time in Kubica's car seems to contradict that that theory. It looks much more like the driver than the car to me.

Huh? Who in the hell is going to care about how he gets on in testing?
Or even if he gets out in 1st practise when they all run different tyres fuel etc anyway...he is a tester in 2020, he may well be a great tester, but you will be the only one cheering or caring..

I genuinely hope you get the laugh because that will mean RK has either run well in DTM or been so fast in testing that he is promoted to the F1 Alfa Romeo race team half way through 2020 or 2021 season.It would be a great comeback story.

You didn't answer my original question! You claimed that Kubica's poor performance was down to the chassis he was given. Russell's much faster time in Kubica's car seems to contradict that that theory. It looks much more like the driver than the car to me.

Copy from my post above:

"Every driver has parts attributed to him and even with a chassis swap, they must bolt these on the car. That's one reason I don't wanted to expand."

I genuinely hope you get the laugh because that will mean RK has either run well in DTM or been so fast in testing that he is promoted to the F1 Alfa Romeo race team half way through 2020 or 2021 season.It would be a great comeback story.

Tactical placement of safety fuse! Well played!

Don't want to be suggestive, but there is a good chance Alfa will change both of their race drivers for next year.

From the latest information, Antonio Giovinazzi has been told he'll be out, if he doesn't outperform Kimi, while the Iceman himself thinks about chasing the title in WRC.

Personally I would love to see Kimi and Robert drive together in one team, flashing their exhausts at the two Williams cars! These two get well together.

Outgoing Williams driver Robert Kubica has secured a reserve driver role with the newly rebranded Alfa Romeo squad for 2020.

Having returned to Formula One in sensational style at the beginning of last season, only to see his performances in the reluctant FW42 fall below the expectations of both team and driver, Robert Kubica has secured an extended stay within the Formula One paddock for the coming season - securing a reserve driver role with the Alfa Romeo team for the year ahead.

The arrival at Hinwil of the 35-year-old Kubica coincides with the arrival of personal sponsor PKN Orlen, the Polish oil company joining Alfa Romeo as co-title sponsor of the team, leading to the squad rebranding as Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN for the coming year.

Signing up as reserve driver sees the Polish driver come full circle in Formula One for 2020, having made his debut for the team back in 2007 when they ran under the BMW banner. Highly regarded during his time at the squad, winning the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix and securing a career best fourth in the drivers title,race during the same season, the added experience of Kubica and the sponsorship dollars associated with his Orlen backing will no doubt be useful to the team in the year ahead.

For his part, Kubica is delighted to return to a team he knows well from earlier in his Grand Prix career;

“I am really happy to be starting this new chapter in my career as I join Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN. This team holds a special place in my heart and I am pleased to see some faces still here from my years in Hinwil. Time and circumstances are obviously different, but I am convinced that I will find the same determination and hunger to succeed. I am looking forward to helping Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN make the next step forward.”

Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN will retain an unchanged driving lineup of Kimi Raikkonen and Antonio Giovinazzi next season, however former reserve driver and now IndyCar star Marcus Ericsson is expected to depart the team following Kubica's arrival, leaving the Polish driver as first choice should either race driver be unable to participate in a Grand Prix during 2020.

Kubica is still thought to be pursuing a race opportunity for the year ahead, with a DTM drive for BMW expected to be the most likely destination.

Have a question about the world of Formula One? Start a thread in our Formula One sub forum and let the community be your guide!

View attachment 341781

Copy from my post above:

"Every driver has parts attributed to him and even with a chassis swap, they must bolt these on the car. That's one reason I don't wanted to expand."

Once again, you can't say this sort of thing and refuse to back it up with evidence. Better not to say it.

Once again, you can't say this sort of thing and refuse to back it up with evidence. Better not to say it.
Chassis swap doesn't include the PU, Gearbox, Electrical systems and a whole lot of other bits and pieces, that are assigned to the driver, not to the chassis.
Additionally later in the season, some parts were not perfect fit with others (this has been said about the aerodynamics packages).

Claim that they used same cars is the biggest fuarking myth.
That's not even possible, since every car is personalized for the driver.
Parts management/production - When a front wing was damaged, they had to install one in other spec, which in turn wasn't optimal for the other parts like side pods and rear wing.

The whole season there was not enough parts produced in the factory, causing many parts to be used way over their normal durability window.

I just hope they will fold down or get real, because things like that are a disgrace to Formula one and any driver.

Waiting half a year for personalized steering wheel is awesome too. Proper Formula one stuff....

Chassis swap doesn't include the PU, Gearbox, Electrical systems and a whole lot of other bits and pieces, that are assigned to the driver, not to the chassis.

And you know for certain (not just assuming or guessing) that all of these things were changed before Russell drove Kubica's car?

Other than promotional value I don't get what the added value of Kubica for a team at the moment. His first F1 adventure was over a decade ago, where he had some really good races. Now driving a year with Williams also won't give the team a headstart or insight on how setup a car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back