F1 2020 Work-In-Progress Thread

btw today im gonna post a "season mod", similar to lucas351 one. I repainted every car to match the real color, and changed logos. Had this one ready from a bit, but never released it. Have a lot of projects in mind! Just have to do screenshots of the mod, then it will be out

Last edited:
Lotus Racing Team
Lotus Racing Team WIP.jpg

Once its finished it will be a mix of metallic, gloss and matte colours

Well time to have another go, this time something that actually existed, still a fair way to go but hope to have mods for pretty much everything, still trying to get used to spanning images across panels but i'm getting there slowly, any tips as I struggle with lining up images across 2 panels?

Anyway here you go, this is what i have got done so far.

Arrows 1.jpg
Arrows 2.jpg
Arrows 3.jpg

Well.. I finally decided to give this process a go. Find below my first attempt at a custom livery via recreating Tim Holmes Designs McLaren Apple F1 2017 livery.

View attachment 398048

View attachment 398049

Cheers

i think for the apple should facing the other way, i know the bite on the apple is on the good side but dont know, some ''design'' need to be mirroring to look good like for this apple, try it pretty sure its will look better ! I mean each side of the car the bite should facing to the TV

Btw you did pretty good on the gradient for a first attempt! Not exactly like the Tim Holmes colors, i think the dark blue should get off, i dont see any dark blue, still a minor detail. If the design doesnt exist, thats look pretty great

I did one myself with gradient and its pretty hard and was only with strip in gradient, you did the whole car and look perfect

Bc1 srgb for diffusal with intel plugin bc1 linear for spec map
the skin itself is BC7 SRGB. for the spec i put DXT1 on Nvidia DDS because when ERP Archiver highlight most _s it uses standard RGB DXT1, not BC1_DXT1 from Intel. but maybe i'll try.
i use green on the white base color, orange on decal similiar to Alpha Tauri specular setup.

the skin itself is BC7 SRGB. for the spec i put DXT1 on Nvidia DDS because when ERP Archiver highlight most _s it uses standard RGB DXT1, not BC1_DXT1 from Intel. but maybe i'll try.
i use green on the white base color, orange on decal similiar to Alpha Tauri specular setup.
If you use green on white, with proper spec map its should be matte 0,140,0. A normal glossy effect its the redish orange but dont remember the rgb code. Like using green at 0,140,0 and decrease the 140 you will start to be less matte. The spec map isnt the same using linear (use by Codemasters) and the srgb spec. So if you used the green on white, you are not on the good save setup on the dds for sure. When i will be at home i will gave you the discord of Ryder (erp archiver) the f1 2020 modder are often there to help and show some tip like a table with all spec map effect etc

i think for the apple should facing the other way, i know the bite on the apple is on the good side but dont know, some ''design'' need to be mirroring to look good like for this apple, try it pretty sure its will look better ! I mean each side of the car the bite should facing to the TV

Btw you did pretty good on the gradient for a first attempt! Not exactly like the Tim Holmes colors, i think the dark blue should get off, i dont see any dark blue, still a minor detail. If the design doesnt exist, thats look pretty great

I did one myself with gradient and its pretty hard and was only with strip in gradient, you did the whole car and look perfect

Thanks for the feedback Steven!

I will try flipping the Apple logo on the left side of the car and see if it looks better.

The gradient was created through visual interpretation and, then in my excitement, I pushed through to get something presentable. I'll have to figure out a way to more perfectly match the colour gradient to the concept livery.

The concept car is from 2017 and the target car is 2020 so what I initially called a recreation, has in actuality turned into more of an homage. ;)

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback Steven!

I will try flipping the Apple logo on the left side of the car and see if it looks better.

The gradient was created through visual interpretation and, then in my excitement, I pushed through to get something presentable. I'll have to figure out a way to more perfectly match the colour gradient to the concept livery.

The concept car is from 2017 and the target car is 2020 so what I initially called a recreation, has in actuality turned into more of an homage. ;)

Cheers
Also then logos like Mobil CNBS CNN and etc. make them black or white, dont use multicolor logos on one car and also watch for their clarity, theys should be easy to read without decrypting them.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.