F1 2017 F1 2017 - A Sim Racing Review (and a Giveaway too..)

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Review.jpg

Formula One 2017 from Codemasters promises plenty of bang for your buck, but does it deliver? We take the game for a spin and find out what makes this new racing title tick...

First things first we have to applaud Codemasters for the job they have done with regards to filling out the content in F1 2017. Gone are the apparent yearly recycle of older games, and in it's place we have plenty of new (old) content, expanded online and career features and what promises to be a totally overhauled handling system in the new game. This is refreshing and a step in the right direction for a series that honestly started to feel a little jaded in recent years.

Now with the new stuff on the surface, have Codemasters managed to pull everything together in a coherent way, and more importantly does the game live up to the hype? Only one way to find out, watch our review video below....

As mentioned in the article headline, we have some copies of F1 2017 on PC to give away to lucky readers! If you fancy your chances of winning a copy of Codemasters brand new Formula One game, check out the review above and try your luck!

See you all on track August 25th.... !

Formula One 2017 releases Friday August 25th on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

F1 2017 Review 2.jpg
F1 2017 Review 3.jpg
F1 2017 Review 4.jpg
F1 2017 Review 5.jpg

If you like your Formula One games then get yourself over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum and join in the discussion! We will be having Club and League racing once the game goes live, mods, car setups, news and chat, all for you to enjoy! Join in, have fun and go discuss!

Have you enjoyed our review? Do you feel more or less inclined to purchase the game following our video? Do you think F1 2017 can lift itself up to the top of the F1 series quality pile? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Spinning on every corner huh.
Rather, getting death slides with absolutely zero response from the wheel until the car is already sideways, which is an ISI thing. Easiest place to test in rF2 was out of slow hairpins, where I'd just keep one finger on the wheel to see how it reacts to different kinds of throttle application and it would do next to nothing every time, regardless of the FFB settings myself and that friend used. This is definitely happening more often in 2017 now as well, especially in the Renault as it was already the car most prone to death slides in 2016. It's still rare as I can easily handle the cars and I'm consistently on pace with the 110% AI, and like AC's it's still predictable, but it's definitely closed the gap to rF2's unpredictability in that sense, which is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I would say memorising a circuit is the key, instinct is for when the unforeseen happens.

That was interesting. Superb driving from Scott. And he shows how to a nice clean lap without getting all 4 wheels over the white line. Just how it should be done. Very nice video.:thumbsup: Quite a useful video, thanks for sharing Paul.

Not for me. The lack of feeling in the brakes and the tyres is exceptionally crippling, and the cars overall feel much too easy to drive even in spite of that. The cars do feel good, but there's too much emphasis on bumps and other irrelevant data and the downforce seems to be extremely inconsistent compared to AMS's Formula Ultimate cars. It's almost impossible to drive beyond the limit like in 2016 in the modern cars, so the skill ceiling is probably going to come down massively overall. The biggest surprise to me was the MP4-13, which is phenomenal, responding much better than any other car I've driven so far.

It is indeed very different so far.

You can adjust all of those "bumps and irrelevant" forces if you want to, something no other F1 game has been able to do in the past. You actually have several sliders to adjust to your liking now, along the lines of Assetto Corsa.

You can adjust all of those "bumps and irrelevant" forces if you want to, something no other F1 game has been able to do in the past. You actually have several sliders to adjust to your liking now, along the lines of Assetto Corsa.
That reduces the feeling of grip as well, which makes the game worse. The on-track effects are not separated from one another in 2017, which is a huge problem as in order to get what you actually need, you need to load up on the unrealistic bumps as well.

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Finally took the plunge yesterday. I love F1 so I couldn't really resist adding it to my collection. I managed to get it for £19.98 from CDkeys. First impressions are that it is very very nice. More testing tonight I think. Love how the benchmarks can be set up now. Upto five laps, any track and you can pick any camera. Spot on that is.:thumbsup:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 10.0%
  • €3001-5000