F1 2017 F1 2017 - A Sim Racing Review (and a Giveaway too..)

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Review.jpg

Formula One 2017 from Codemasters promises plenty of bang for your buck, but does it deliver? We take the game for a spin and find out what makes this new racing title tick...

First things first we have to applaud Codemasters for the job they have done with regards to filling out the content in F1 2017. Gone are the apparent yearly recycle of older games, and in it's place we have plenty of new (old) content, expanded online and career features and what promises to be a totally overhauled handling system in the new game. This is refreshing and a step in the right direction for a series that honestly started to feel a little jaded in recent years.

Now with the new stuff on the surface, have Codemasters managed to pull everything together in a coherent way, and more importantly does the game live up to the hype? Only one way to find out, watch our review video below....

As mentioned in the article headline, we have some copies of F1 2017 on PC to give away to lucky readers! If you fancy your chances of winning a copy of Codemasters brand new Formula One game, check out the review above and try your luck!

See you all on track August 25th.... !

Formula One 2017 releases Friday August 25th on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

F1 2017 Review 2.jpg
F1 2017 Review 3.jpg
F1 2017 Review 4.jpg
F1 2017 Review 5.jpg

If you like your Formula One games then get yourself over to the Formula One 2017 sub forum and join in the discussion! We will be having Club and League racing once the game goes live, mods, car setups, news and chat, all for you to enjoy! Join in, have fun and go discuss!

Have you enjoyed our review? Do you feel more or less inclined to purchase the game following our video? Do you think F1 2017 can lift itself up to the top of the F1 series quality pile? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It's hard to trust anyone that shifts with their left hand. :laugh:

1. I'm not sure whatever "tire model" is there can be considered better than your average SIM. It may be that people are getting confused between the added downforce of the cars and a better tire model.
2. The A.I. are amazing. I have long held the belief that people whine since they try and bully them because they aren't a person, but try it with these A.I. (other than the start) and they will pass you 95% of the time. I ran against 93% A.I. and placed about mid pack. And I have seen them defend.
3. Career. Whatever.
4. If this is a better SIM, the "blazingly fast" pad players (or those who love assists) should be knocked down a peg. We shall see. Excuse me if I rarely believe gamers when it comes to car handling.
5. Not mentioned typically is one of the most important features...the actual wheel is quicker to react to your input. It's very helpful and one of the most overlooked features in any racer.
6. Be sure to crank up the ffb and lower the wheel weight as much as possible.
7. Wheel spinning/oversteer is way over-emphasized (I terms of importance/difficulty relation) by gamers. Any race car can light them up. But, what's great this year is that, like I imagine in real life, you can spin out up to 4th.
8. Is anyone going to race the short tracks? Would anyone race, say, Brands Hatch?
9. Setups are still the same. They need massive work. But at least they are somewhat relevant.
10. Using the T-Cam is an assist. So, don't pretend you use "no assists" bucko. :laugh:

I need to really soak this game in (8 of 10 from me) because this is the last one I will ever play if F1 goes forward with the halo. Idiots.

So, you can now do an F1 race at Brands Hatch Indy? Champ Car flashbacks intensify...

Unfortunately not. I was simply making the point (badly, I guess, lol) that the short tracks are licensing fluff. When you consider they had the license to Jerez, Brands, Imola, and one other (I forget) in 2013, classic cars and classic tracks are a no brainer. But they went the easy way out. If may be that F1 didn't like it, which I'm sure holds the game back considerably.

Look at the classic F1 cars. They're beautiful. And then look at the current ones. A bunch of dicks with wheels fighting each other.

That's hilarious. We have had vaginas too, don't forget. That pocket rocket that Lotus tried to foist upon us, along with other "too-clever-for-the-good-of-F1" teams.

Look at the classic F1 cars. They're beautiful. And then look at the current ones. A bunch of dicks with wheels fighting each other.
Besides the dicks, the modern cars look very good, I'd say. The Ferrari looks ferocious, much more so than some of the overly clean cars of the past like the FW18. They'd still look better if they weren't wide again as the fatness looks really bad from certain angles, and especially if refueling was still allowed and thus the cars were shorter, but this is much closer to being ideal than it was before.

I've seen the classic cars so many times, on the other hand, that they mostly just bore me. The '98 McLaren and the '02, '04 and '07 Ferraris are the only real exceptions there. Maybe the RB6 as well. Without the other cars in their respective years (no, having a lot of '02-'08 cars doesn't change that) to compare them to, they don't really stand out very much, especially cars like the MP4/6.

The sh*tty graphics as we've seen in Dirt 4

People on the grid has no cast shadows.
All animated character looks like they made of plasticine. All the graphics over-saturated like toy miniatures. Spectators infinity-looped character animation are the same sh*t as we've seen in Milestone's games as in Dirt 4 too.

Codemasters is going backwards ...

ps.: sounds are amazing as usual in Codemasters games

ps.: sounds are amazing as usual in Codemasters games
I love it whenever people mention this ridiculous argument. Are you so used to the manufactured TV broadcast sounds that you actually think they're realistic? Have you gone to a race since 2014? The sound capture devices are placed in different spots away from the engine in each car, which will naturally make them sound different than they would if you were the one hearing them with your own ears from the cockpit of a Williams or a Force India (which are supposed to sound 95%+ identical in fact).

Last edited:
I love it whenever people mention this ridiculous argument. Are you so used to the manufactured TV broadcast sounds that you actually think they're realistic? Have you gone to a race since 2014? The sound capture devices are placed in different spots away from the engine in each car, which will naturally make them sound different than they would if you were the one hearing them with your own ears from the cockpit of a Williams or a Force India (which are supposed to sound 95%+ identical in fact).

what's the point of your reply? Show a better game with more realistic F1 engine sounds . I bet you can't find

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[QUOTE="Rob, post: 2557868, member: 140186"
10. Using the T-Cam is an assist. So, don't pretend you use "no assists" bucko. :laugh:
[/QUOTE]
:laugh::roflmao:
That made me laugh. Nice one. :)

Last edited:
The sh*tty graphics as we've seen in Dirt 4
You should check your graphics-card. Graphics in Dirt 4 are amazing here and much better than Dirt Rally, but my card can handle 4k between high and ultra options.

But didn´t like F1 2016 at all, actually hate the graphics. Oversaturated and very low track details that kills the sense for speed plus no rubber-marks for remembering breaking points. Driving F1 is a lot easier in AMS for me.

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 37 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.7%