F1 2012 F1 2012: The End of Modding?

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

Petar Tasev

Ryder25
If Dirt Showdown is anything to go by, CM are hiding away the database.bin which has been the key files to many great mods around this community. Whether they are doing the same thing in F1 2012 or not, I don't know, but please come support me to make sure that they leave the file like in the past so that we can continue to make great mods:

Thanks!

Sign this thread with a comment below to support us and we will send it to Codemasters

Some more potentially bad news.

I have had a couple of car files sent to me.

If F1 2012 follows Dirt Showdowns lead.....car models cannot be got at, at all.

This means skinning will be very difficult, almost impossible to be done to the standard we know and expect now.

Could mean that it's time to say R.I.P to modding as we know it.

With both the Database being hidden away and the lack of models for textures I quite simply fear the worst!

Well if this is true, i won't be buying f12012. I will however be modding f12011 to the 2013 skins and driver names etc. that might teach codemasters if we all play the old game instead.

What are the chances realistically of the file structure changing? If 10 and 11 were like that, surely there's a chance 12 will be?

Well if this is true, i won't be buying f12012. I will however be modding f12011 to the 2013 skins and driver names etc. that might teach codemasters if we all play the old game instead.

What are the chances realistically of the file structure changing? If 10 and 11 were like that, surely there's a chance 12 will be?

Perhaps, we'll have to wait and see. But Dirt Showdown has not followed Dirt 2 & Dirt 3 with the same file structure so as F12010 followed D2 and F12011 followed D3 it just makes me wonder. As for not getting at the models are concerned, I just wonder whether it is because F12011 and F12012 will be written on the same graphics engine and therefore potentially may be interchangable to some extent, as F12010 and F12011 were written on different graphics engines so therefore had little chance of being interchangable. Who knows......just a thought.

I set up a Twitter account and sent my first ever tweet to T4RG4 asking if files to be locked on pc, meaning no modding.

This is a big step for me as I have just learnt how to use a mobile phone :O_o:

Signed.. I do not understand these companies that are doing away with modding.
For some companies I do understand such a decision. However for F1 2012 this is not the case as it was clearly not affecting the F1 2011 sales either.

I have left a response on the CM forums as well (see quote below) and I truly hope Ryder & Co will have an answer soon. Lets hope its all based on a wrong assuption as I can't imagine that after all those years of modding the EGO engine they would throw it overboard

If they do it has to be related to the upcoming RaceNet (cheat prevention). But cheating can be prevented partly in so many other ways by for example adding...boring repetition *drum roll*.......dedicated servers, that check the files of the game before submitting any times to the leaderboards.

Seems that CM is stuck in their old fashioned way of Peer2Peer hosting.

Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. But cutting out one of the coolest parts of F1 gaming on PC, that is modding, would be terrible for tenths of thousands of pc gamers that have used and enjoyed it in the correct way.
Bram H;7363612 said:
After all the amazing work you guys have done for the past few years for the F1 2010 & 2011 community I think you guys deserve a clear answer on this one.

If the bin files are hidden I would like to hear a good explanation why that decision has been made.

Modding (game life extending) can affect sales for a yearly sold product that is the F1 series for sure but in the last few years that didn't happen. So I am really curious if this is either a wrong assumption of the OP or that you are on to something that can have disastrous consequences for the F1 modding community.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back