rF2 F1 1992 @ Shanghai - Sun June 19th 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Hated the track tonight and never gone well here so was not expecting much.

Quali 1: Never got a clean lap in and was P3.

Race 1: Poor start and was run wide at turn 1. Settled into 4th behind Mohan, who I got past early on. Chased down Ferry and Andreas and reached the tail of the battle just as Ferry spun off the track on lap 5. Andreas looked a bit shaken by it and I pressurised him into a mistake in the last corner but he kept the position into turn 1. He then messed up the exit of turn 4 and I could go past before the entry to turn 5. Andreas dived down the inside of turn 4 though but I cut back and kept the lead. Martin came out of the pits on lap 9 just behind us and I'm sure had fun watching the battle unfolding ahead. Andreas was slow around the hairpin just before the long straight so I had that safety buffer but he would catch up to my rear by the end of the straight. Lap 11, Andreas pulled off an amazing manouevre around the outside of turn 1 to take the lead after I got a slow exit from the last corner. I tucked in behind but misread his line into turn 5 so had to taking avoiding action by cutting the corner and using the outside of the exit to get back going. Martin got past and I was about 2 seconds behind and we were on the penultimate lap. Martin ran a bit wide a few corners later and I must thank him for allowing me through at that point. :) I pushed as hard as I could to close the gap and starting the final lap there was just over a second in it. By turn 11 I was on his tail. I knew I was quicker around turn 12 and 13 that led onto the long straight, but I also knew he was faster in a straight line. I got a good exit from the corner and got in his slipstream, but I could not drive past him on the straight as he moved to cover the inside. I noticed he braked a bit late and ran wide at the hairpin so I cut back and got my nose in front. He managed to keep the speed up and pulled along the inside of me heading into the final corner. I gave him room on the inside of the corner, he tried giving me room on the outside but I had to take to the run-off and I just pipped him to the line. It was my best ever lap at Shanghai to end an epic race.

Quali 2: On my only clean lap, I was 6 tenths up but overshot the hairpin so was only 4th.

Race 2: Made an Ok start but lost the rear in turn 2. A couple of cars got past but I kept it on the tarmac. Going into turn 11 I looked up the inside of the Dallara ahead but he moved over to overtake the car infront of him at the last moment. I turned right after seeing Georgios in my left mirror earlier on the straight just to avoid the Dallara but Georgios was now on the right and hit the side of my car (apologies). Into the turn 14 hairpin, I was between the Williams and the Dallara but the williams overshot and hit both of us. I was carrying some damage now and spun at turn 3 allowing most of the field through. Down in 17th, I slowly picked my way thtough the field to get back up to 5th at the end, one more lap and I would of had 3rd.

Thanks to Lee, RD, and all those who raced :)

I forgot about that Steve, I think I lost a wheel also in that incident, all I can do is blame it on the lag several of us was suffering from tonight, It seemed to me you almost stopped in the corner which must have been the lag, sorry.

Monaco should be fine as long as there's no lag, I think it was F1-93 we raced there awhile back and it was great fun.

I slowed because Huber was having a moment and i needed to avoid him.

I think i covered 263 laps on Scotts server this week.
Q1- 1:37.459 got me P5. The top 4 were in the 1:36s and my PB was a 1:37.412 in practice.
R1- i got away well enough and stayed out of trouble going into turns 2 and 3 and came out P5. Wayne was in P4 just a second or 2 ahead but i couldn't do enough to catch him. Ferry must have made a booboo and slipped back and i was in P4.
Ferry caught up with me and i tried to keep him behind me but,he got a run out the last corner,so i thought i'd make him go round the long way into turn 1,which he did! Right round the outside of me lol Awsome Ferry ;-)
Finished P5.
Q2- 1:36.982 (PB) got me P5.
R2- got away well and held P5 into turn 1,avoided Adam as he ran a little wide on my inside,as we approached turn 2,Grzegorz Wlodarczyk in P7,has a rub against Mr Smoulders and tales P6,he then thumps into me sending me into a spin,he then hits Adam which it looks like it corrects Adam back online entering turn 3. I think he sets off in P4 or P5? Fare?
I drop to last place,P22. I just got my head down and chased everything that moved! lol I made some passes and got myself into P9 behind Mateusz. I was quicker through turns 7 and 8 and over the next lap i got in position to make a pass. Entering turn 7 i got right under his gearbox and pulled out turning right into 8,just as Mateuzs got oversteer and he flicked right and caught my front left wheel and i went into the kitty litter. Racing incident,no problem.
I dropped to P9 and i think it was a Ferrari spun in turn 13 which gave me P8.
A word on chatting tonight during quali and race. I've noticed lately people chat when 'they',and the person they want to chat to are finished. Not when the last car has passed the finish line,as it should be,no? Maybe an idea would be to wait untill everyone returns to the garage?
I think what made it worse tonight was admin asked for hush,and then 'they' replied with a 'sorry',then someone else replied saying the race was over, when there were still cars running.
First modern track i've ran with this mod and i really liked racing here. Server was busy and more finishers that usual it seemed.
Thanks to RD and everyone.
Roll on Monaco :)

I am not saying I was the person you bumped into. (I dont think I was) However without trying to cause friction Adam, You state "somebody brakes too early and we have contact".

It is the job of the person following the car to brake early enough to avoid any contact regardless when and where the car in front brakes, surely?

You and me had some good racing in race 2 and you overtook me nicely and the battle was all clean good racing. Hope we continue as I am new to RD too. I just have this "thing" about cars following and not braking enough to stop crashes!! Reading through the forums, this happens too often. (Please, I do not blame you, lol)

I am not saying I was the person you bumped into. (I dont think I was) However without trying to cause friction Adam, You state "somebody brakes too early and we have contact".It is the job of the person following the car to brake early enough to avoid any contact regardless when and where the car in front brakes,
It was me he was talking about Ken. I braked to avoid hitting the cars in front. Unfortunately it appears there is a view that if a car is in the way you should take your normal line at normal speed. I might try it next week could probably cause some havoc in turn 1.

I'm very disappointed because I realized that I do not know anything setup.
And this change a lot things .
This is the 2* race with my wheel.I do not know if I need more time to adapt,but i am having a lot pain on my neck arm and my left foot.
I can not practice for a long time, I also can not concentrate.
For some instants on the race ,i was very dangerous (Well i think).But i need more pratice.
I loved to race with you,i am very happy ,See you on next race.

Mohan, it sounds like your monitor is either to high or to low. Probably to high. Also try raising your pedals. It sounds to me like they are to low. What kind of seat do you use?

"simple chair",and i think you are right.I have a simple table for PC ,and i put the wheel on it.i tryed to put the pedal a little away ,but the position wasnt good too.And on the middle of the 1* race my left foot got very cold,i think was becouse of the position,i brake with left foot.I will try to buy a good cockpit.
See you next race (monaco) i will love it.

If you've just started using a wheel and pedals Mohan,it may take a little time to get used to the positioning. It took me a long time to get mine right.
I have an office seat that tilts back,it is comfortable and i don't feel the need to go out and spend money on a race seat,,,,,yet!
I built a desk myself. It's higher,wider and deeper than a normal desk and that allowed me to raise my pedals enough to stretch my legs out and lean back in the chair. The front of my desk is angled so that my wheel sits flat facing me,like in an F1 car as apposed to angled in a road car.
It has taken me a long time to get to this stage. If you have the money then you may get there alot quicker lol Good luck ;-)
I'll try and post some pix soon.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back