rF2 F1 1979 @ Watkins Glen - Monday 4th December 2023

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Great cars. I went down on the wings and shortened the gears and was seeing 281 in the straight and then, in the fat Renault's draft, 294kph! had a few spins after getting ahead of myself, but love these cars. Full race, Ed. Let's do it.

29bf3bf04dfd937247a2c7130cd47ef4.jpg

At first i was running 1-1 wings, but not to be too stupid i eventually cranked it up to 3-3 to have at least some cornering capabilities, had a slow getaway and way too conservative into turn one otherwise i could have contested for the lead at the end of the straight. Defenitely had the most fun blasting by people on the straight while a second behind at turn 1 :roflmao: just too many mistakes with early downshifts resulting in multiple spins. Without a draft i was doing 290 at the end, with a slipstream i've seen 297

Full race, Ed. Let's do it.
Yup, I'm going to commit to a full race the week after next because why the heck not! I potentially will be a bit too tired for a full race next Monday, hence why I'm delaying it an extra week. But it gives us time to work out the track to race on.

I am cautious about running somewhere with long straights like Monza and Hockenheim due to how OP the straight-line bois like the Renault and Brabham will be over the DFV cars. For the same reason I don't want to do for somewhere like Monaco or Jarama which has no straights for them to come back with. Watkins Glen and Dijon which we have already raced these on were nice and balanced for this.

Ideas I have:
Brands Hatch 1986 - Lots of high-speed corners and one slow-speed one. Does have some straights for the high-speed ones to catch up.
Toban - Fantasy track which has come from rF1 and feels like a classic GP circuit.
Estoril - classic GP circuit from the right time period.
Long Beach '79 - I did visit the circuit a few weeks ago and it was very cool.
Sebring (DLC) - It's cool
Imola 80's (DLC) - Not sure if the 30kph speed difference through Tamburello is advisable though.

Which ones do you guys like the look of or do you have any further ideas?

Last edited:
Yup, I'm going to commit to a full race the week after next because why the heck not! I potentially will be a bit too tired for a full race next Monday, hence why I'm delaying it an extra week. But it gives us time to work out the track to race on.

I am cautious about running somewhere with long straights like Monza and Hockenheim due to how OP the straight-line bois like the Renault and Brabham will be over the DFV cars. For the same reason I don't want to do for somewhere like Monaco or Jarama which has no straights for them to come back with. Watkins Glen and Dijon which we have already raced these on were nice and balanced for this.

Ideas I have:
Brands Hatch 1986 - Lots of high-speed corners and one slow-speed one. Does have some straights for the high-speed ones to catch up.
Toban - Fantasy track which has come from rF1 and feels like a classic GP circuit.
Estoril - classic GP circuit from the right time period.
Long Beach '79 - I did visit the circuit a few weeks ago and it was very cool.
Sebring (DLC) - It's cool
Imola 80's (DLC) - Not sure if the 30kph speed difference through Tamburello is advisable though.

Which ones do you guys like the look of or do you have any further ideas?
My choice : Brands Hatch

Long Beach or Estoril sounds good.
I'm currently exploring the F1 1988 mod and that has some nice tracks included as well.
Jacarepagua, Jerez and Adelaide come to mind.

Jacarepagua is a great shout, and Adelaide polled high when I did this as a mystery circuit. I personally despise Jerez - especially the 80's version with no real straights - and feel like it would fit into the category of hurting the Renault or other top speed cars.

Jacarepagua is one of the great F1 tracks - but it is fast, very fast. I like the idea of Toban. A lot of the 88 tracks are really just updates to rf1 tracks and as such are quite poor regarding fidelity to the actual tracks. Zandvoort or Zolder are two options that are a mix of high and medium speed corners.

Is there an old Zandvoort model out there? 80's Zandvoort could be worth a test to see how the different philosophies compare there and if it's too swayed one way.

Jacarepagua is a great shout, and Adelaide polled high when I did this as a mystery circuit. I personally despise Jerez - especially the 80's version with no real straights - and feel like it would fit into the category of hurting the Renault or other top speed cars.
adelaide would be a great balance i think, slow and tight corners for the downforce cars and 1 long and a semi-long straight for the speedy boys. was great to drive with the F3s

Jacarepagua has been chosen. Come along and sign up!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.