rF2 F1 1979 @ Jacarepagua *Full Grand Prix* - Monday 18th December

rFactor 2 Racing Club event

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
F1 1979.jpg

Two weeks ago, we had some great fun with the F1 1979 cars around Watkins Glen. That was only half a race distance, so it's time to go for the full Grand Prix! 305km of Jacarepagua gives us 61 laps in the Rio de Janeiro heat, can you keep up with the pace? Will you go for grip or top speed? Car choice will make a difference, so let's see who can come out on top.

Eligibility: You must be a PREMIUM member. You must also use your REAL NAME on all RD servers and Discord, and include this in your forum profile. It is the only way of identifying who you are during an event.

[Server Password: *Available in Private Message upon signup*]
[RaceDepartment Discord]

[Racing Club Rules]
[Incident Reporting]

Server Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM SSM
Car(s):
Track: F1 1986 Historical Tracks - [STEAM]
Layout: 01-Jacarepagua, GP Brasil 23 March
Air Temperature: 32°C
Fixed Setups: No
Start Type: Standing
Driving Assists: Auto Clutch, Auto Shifting
Time: Day
Weather: Sunny
ABS/TC: Factory
1702489519722.png

Schedule: (EU) Monday 18th December 2023
Practice: 19:00 GMT (80 minutes)
Qualifying: 20:00 GMT (15 minutes)
Warm-Up: 20:15 GMT (5 minutes)
Race: 20:20 GMT (61 Laps)

Time Zone converter

INFORMATION & BASIC RULES
  • All of the standard Racing Club Rules still apply to this event.
  • Custom liveries are both allowed and encouraged! Show off your Photoshop (or Google) skills and turn up with a unique car colour that we will all know is you on track!
  • Discord is not mandatory, but is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Please use Push to Talk where possible.
CAR LIST
As a bit of a different race, there are lots of different cars with different performances. As such, let's have an eclectic grid where you all choose your car. Please choose one of the cars which has not been chosen.
These cars have different physics and overall speeds. Feel free to test them beforehand before making your choice. I am listing the cars in the 1979 Constructors Championship finishing order to give you an idea of the pace they had. If you are a "faster" driver, please may you choose one of the "slower" cars, as a way of balancing the field a bit.

1: Scuderia Ferrari
- Jody Scheckter: Free Spot
- Gilles Villeneuve: ThreeLionz

2: Albilad-Saudia Williams
- Alan Jones: Steve Le Gallez
- Clay Regazzoni: RockRacing77

3: Ligier Gitanes
- Jacques Laffite: Jimlaad43
- Patrick Depailler: Free Spot

4: Martini Lotus
- Mario Andretti: Free Spot
- Carlos Reutemann: Free Spot
- Hector Rebaque (Rebaque): Free Spot

5: Candy Tyrrell
- Didier Pironi: Free Spot
- Jean-Pierre Jarier: Free Spot

6: Renault Elf
- Jean-Pierre Jabouille (RS11): Lesley Buurlage
- Rene Arnoux (RS12): Free Spot

7: Marlboro McLaren
John Watson: max1966i
- Patrick Tambay: Daniel R.

8: Parmalat Brabham
- Niki Lauda: Michel vL
- Nelson Piquet: GeekyDeaks

9: Warsteiner Arrows
- Ricardo Patrese: Free Spot
- Jochen Mass: Free Spot

10: Shadow
- Elio de Angelis (Interscope): Free Spot
- Jan Lammers (Samson): Free Spot

11: ATS
- Hans Stuck: Free Spot

12: Fittipaldi Copersucar
- Emerson Fittipaldi: Free Spot

13: Olympus Wolf
- James Hunt: Free Spot
- Keke Rosberg: eN1xes

14: Autodelta Alfa Romeo
- Bruno Giacomelli: Free Spot
- Vittorio Brambilla: Redvaliant

15: Ensign
- Derek Daly: Free Spot

16: Merzario
- Arturo Merzario: Free Spot

SERVER IS UP

Last edited:
I drove a lot of cars yesterday after not finding the Arrows to my liking. The track is very bumpy so turned the head physics down to zero, but still takes some getting used to the amount of cockpit movement. Anyway, the Ligier is good but the Williams is on another level, just so much drama-free grip and laptime. All others were pretty much within a second of each other but some, like the Tyrrell, were hard work in the fast stuff. I decided to go back to my trusty, fat Alfa. The track is almost as fast as Watkins and features another fast sweeper at the end of a long straight, so better get mirrors that can accomodate the big yellow turbo teapot as it flies by @ 300kph and off the track into the weeds.

guess i'll take the yellow teapot again, but only because i'm the most familiar with it so i can semi-drive it properly. GGs if you're in a williams though cause that car is so much faster that i can't see anything but that win by a mile. also will have to see if i can actually complete this race cause after quite a few practice laps these bumps and the corresponding bouncing are actually making me sick :sick:

Last edited:
If the bumps are really that bad, maybe we could switch to Brands Hatch? I'll get opinions from everyone signed up before making a switch though.

Pit stop times are very slow in these cars, so I expect that we will be doing everything we can to stay on track for as long as possible. However, as we haven't done a full length GP with them yet I don't really have a definitive answer.

I have done some practice laps and everything, but tonight's practice session I will do a few pitstops to see the time loss for fuel and tyres. I expect it will be worth fuelling for the whole race at the start and just chucking tyres on during the race distance.

I was actually wondering the same about pit stops as the real cars would have been fuelled for the whole race. I think tyres wont go the distance though, as there are a series of flatout corners in the lap that really load up the Gs.

Setup wise, they ran these cars low and stiff for the GE .I found taking wing off doesn't really help top speed too much and was seeing about 270kph+ down the back straight. Ed has a setup that should be a good starting setup for most cars.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed! To be honest, keeping it on track for 61 laps is probably going to be the bigger challenge anyway, so I was really just looking for a ballpark to make sure I don't have to faff with the ICM half way through! :)

There are multiple tyre compounds, so running a Soft-Hard one stop may be a solution, but so also may going Hard-Hard. As it is Brazil, air temps are set quite high and it may cause the tyres to wear a bit harder anyway and force 2-stops. Still, that's what he long practice session is here for.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.