rF2 F1 1979 @ Dijon-Prenois - 29th August 2022

rFactor 2 Racing Club event

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
F1 1979.jpg

The 1979 French Grand Prix will forever go down in folklore for many reasons. For starters, it was the first victory for Jean-Pierre Jabouille, the first podium for himself and team mate Rene Arnoux and first win for Renault - all at their home race! This was especially notable as Renault scored the first ever victory for a Turbocharged Engine in Formula 1. But nobody remembers that. This is instead THE scene of Arnoux and Gilles Villeneuve's legendary last-lap dice for 2nd place. If you are unaware of how crazy those last few laps were, just watch this video! Some of the greatest wheel-to-wheel racing of all time, which even moments such as "THROUGH GOES HAMILTON" will struggle to beat in many eyes. Let's see if we can recreate racing that intense!

Eligibility: You must be a PREMIUM member. You must also use your REAL NAME on all RD servers and Discord, and include this in your forum profile. It is the only way of identifying who you are during an event.

[Server Password: blueflag]
[RaceDepartment Discord]

[Racing Club Rules]
[Incident Reporting]

Server Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM OWS

Car(s):
Track: Circuit Dijon-Prenois - [STEAM]
Layout:
Dijon Grande Combe
Track Temperature: 25°C
Fixed Setups: No
Start Type: Standing
Driving Assists: Auto Clutch, Auto Shifting
Time: Day
Weather: (Forecast)
ABS/TC: Factory

Schedule: (EU) Monday 29th August 2022
Practice 1: 19:00 UTC (25 minutes)
Qualifying: 19:25 UTC (10 minutes)
Warm Up: 19:35 UTC (5 minutes)
Race 1: 19:40 UTC (40 Laps)

Time Zone converter

INFORMATION & BASIC RULES
  • All of the standard Racing Club Rules still apply to this event.
  • Custom liveries are both allowed and encouraged!
  • Discord is not mandatory, but is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
CAR LIST
As a bit of a different race, there are lots of different cars with different performances. As such, let's have an eclectic grid where you all choose your car. Please choose one of the cars which has not been chosen.
These cars have different physics and overall speeds. Feel free to test them beforehand before making your choice. I am listing the cars in the 1979 Constructors Championship finishing order to give you an idea of the pace they had. If you are a "faster" driver, please may you choose one of the "slower" cars, as a way of balancing the field a bit.

1: Scuderia Ferrari
- Jody Scheckter: H_Belane
- Gilles Villeneuve: AlB_3030

2: Albilad-Saudia Williams
- Alan Jones: Kresh
- Clay Regazzoni: thom462

3: Ligier Gitanes
- Jacques Laffite: Michel vL
- Patrick Depailler: Free Spot

4: Martini Lotus
- Mario Andretti: Free Spot
- Carlos Reutemann: Free Spot
- Hector Rebaque (Rebaque): Free Spot

5: Candy Tyrrell
- Didier Pironi: Free Spot
- Jean-Pierre Jarier: Free Spot

6: Renault Elf
- Jean-Pierre Jabouille (RS11): ThreeLionz
- Rene Arnoux (RS12): Ingemar Petersson

7: Marlboro McLaren
- John Watson: Stammeleer
- Patrick Tambay: Free Spot

8: Parmalat Brabham
- Niki Lauda: Free Spot
- Nelson Piquet: Free Spot

9: Warsteiner Arrows
- Ricardo Patrese: Free Spot
- Jochen Mass: Free Spot

10: Shadow
- Elio de Angelis (Interscope): Free Spot
- Jan Lammers (Samson): Free Spot

11: ATS
- Hans Stuck: Free Spot

12: Fittipaldi Copersucar
- Emerson Fittipaldi: Free Spot

13: Olympus Wolf
- James Hunt: Jimlaad43
- Keke Rosberg: Steve Le Gallez

14: Autodelta Alfa Romeo
- Bruno Giacomelli: Redvaliant
- Vittorio Brambilla: Free Spot

15: Ensign
- Derek Daly: Free Spot

16: Merzario
- Arturo Merzario: Jan Larsen

SERVER IS NOT UP!

Last edited:
F1 1979 Car characteristics
All cars driven around Dijon-Prenois and compared. Reference laptimes show the time I could get using the same setup, fuel load and number of laps in the car to learn it. Use these as a reference, but of course take it with a pinch of salt as not every lap was perfect to the car. All laptimes are kept hidden, but a +X.X value is shown for how many seconds off the fastest car they were.

1: Scuderia Ferrari (Ferrari F12)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +1.3s)
For the championship winning car, this is a difficult and slow one to drive. Comfortably the slowest car in a straight line, the Ferrari has a very snappy rear end, so there's a lot of oversteer. At a certain point the rear will just lose all grip and snap you the other way as you are counter steering. This probably needs a lot of setup work to get it quick because it was not happy or fast at all.

2: Albilad-Saudia Williams (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +0.0s)
The car with the strongest front-end by a long shot. You can brake late and still chuck it into fast corners much later than any other car. Maybe doesn't have the greatest driveability off slow corners, but it makes up for that elsewhere.

3: Ligier Gitanes (Cosworth DFV V8)
6 Gears (Ref laptime: +0.0s)
What a car! So much grip in the corners, with low ratios means you can be a gear higher than any other car in all the corners. Pitiful straight-line speed is the only downside of this supremely quick car.

4: Martini Lotus (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +1.7s)
Wow this car is awful. This car was the 1978 dominant champion, but it was only because Lotus were the first to crack Ground Effect. They stood still while everyone else refined it and made it much more potent because it is really slow here. Crazy oversteer in high and low speed corners which just makes it impossible to push.

5: Candy Tyrrell (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +1.1s)
An almost-forgiving oversteery car, the Tyrrell will kick out the rear a bit in the high-speed sections, but be very strong in the slower corners. Good top speed makes this a very racy, if slidy, car.

6: Renault Elf (Renault V6t)
6 Gears (Ref laptime: +0.0s)
This car is crazy fast. 5mph up in the speed traps on all the other cars, balanced through the high and low speed corners, and once you are out of the turn, the Turbo spools in and blasts you towards the next braking point. Struggles out of slow corners because of Turbo Lag, but that's it. RS11 and RS12 are exactly the same car.

7: Marlboro McLaren (Cosworth DFV V8)
6 Gears (Ref laptime: +1.2s)
Very balanced in high-speed sections, including throttle pickup. Tail-happy in the slow-speed corners makes it difficult to work out how to best take them, and time slips away easily there.

8: Parmalat Brabham (Alfa-Romeo V12)
6 Gears (Ref laptime: +0.6s)
A strong engine that accelerates faster than the Cosworth DFVs, this car doesn't have the downforce to properly compete in high-speed corners, but once it gets the power down it can just rev higher and reach the next braking point really soon.

9: Warsteiner Arrows (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +0.4s)
While slightly weak in slow-speed corners, this Arrows is a monster in the high-speed corners. May struggle in medium-speed to deal with entry speed other cars can carry, but in 4th or 5th gear corners, nothing else is as fast or balanced through there.

10: Shadow (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +1.7s)
This car is just unrefined and slow. Doesn't feel like I could extract much more out of it. Understeer and Oversteer are pretty random and massively time sapping.

11: ATS (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +1.9s)
Very oversteery car in any corner 3rd Gear or above. Struggles to carry speed into these and cannot be driven with sharp steering inputs for fear of major oversteer moments. Deal with this and you can get laptime out of it though, may need setup changes to make it work.

12: Fittipaldi Copersucar (Cosworth DFV V8)
What initially feels like a horribly understeery car is actually just a balanced car with no grip. Balanced but slow through all corners, this is actually a decent car to drive if you're not worried about overall laptimes.

13: Olympus Wolf (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +0.6s)
An absolute joy to drive, the Wolf is surprisingly quick and forgiving. You can slide the rear a bit and keep the speed up. Not quite ultimate downforce, so will always lose some time in the faster corners, but massively driveable and good fun.

14: Autodelta Alfa Romeo (Alfa Romeo V12)
6 Gears (Ref laptime: +0.8s)
High top speed in this Alfa makes it good down the straights, with the long gearing helping on the exit of fast corners. Horrible understeer though which takes time to get used to, and is made up for with the Torquey engine. Understeer and long braking zones transition to oversteer unpredictably in slow-speed corners.

15: Ensign (Cosworth DFV V8)
A slow car, but one that is easy to drive and pretty controllable. Struggles with overall downforce in the high-speed corners, but is pretty settled in the slower ones and doesn't feel particularly over or understeery.

16: Merzario (Cosworth DFV V8)
5 Gears (Ref laptime: +1.2s)
This car is pretty driveable and not too slow. Struggles with high-speed turn in, but seems relaxed at the slow speed corners and drives out well.

Tier List
This ranking is based on not just overall laptime and pace, but also driveability and overall feelings to drive and race with the car.
1661368766849.png

In the second post of this thread I have written a short summary of each car on the grid. I did laps of Dijon in every single car (Yes, it took ages) and found it to be a pretty good circuit to analyse them, as it has slow, medium and high-speed corners all separate, allowing great chances to feel how the cars are in each.

I ranked them in terms of pace and then driveability and the whole "experience", to split them up into areas people can use.

If you have signed up (@Redvaliant @Monkey T. @ThreeLionz, @H_Belane, @Michel vL ), feel free to use this as a chance to determine if you want to swap cars, or have an idea of which cars to go and test before deciding which one to choose in the end.

If you haven't signed up, use it to help pick your car of choice. Please remember that the car choice should also be a bit of a BOP, so if you are usually a faster driver, I ask that you consider a slower or more difficult car and let the less experienced drivers choose the faster cars. It'll mean closer racing and that's what we want in the end!

If I recall how the original mod functioned, The Ligier and Williams were the class of the field, with the Renault and Ferrari coming up next ( if you could manage the Renault). I happen to like the fat Alfa and its V12, so I'm good.

If I recall how the original mod functioned, The Ligier and Williams were the class of the field, with the Renault and Ferrari coming up next ( if you could manage the Renault). I happen to like the fat Alfa and its V12, so I'm good.
The Renault seems really easy to drive fast because it has epic top speed. The Ferrari probably needs a lot of setup work to make it quick, it was utterly awful to drive and that time I set was a lucky lap. It was the easiest to crash.

If you have signed up (@Redvaliant @Monkey T. @ThreeLionz, @H_Belane, @Michel vL ), feel free to use this as a chance to determine if you want to swap cars, or have an idea of which cars to go and test before deciding which one to choose in the end.
I might choose a different class of car if the Ligier turns out to be too fast. Did try a few laps in a couple of cars yesterday and the Ligier felt the nicest.
However I don't win RD club races so I suspect it'll be allright.

thanks for the tag. Sign me up please with
2: Albilad-Saudia Williams
- Alan JonesFree Spot

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering