Exploding physics with stiff suspensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slide all 16 damper settings on the F312 fully to the max and it happens. It's a problem with the rear axle oscillating that seems to be most directly impacted by the rear fast bump/rebound. When I tune anything to below 95% of the max it stops (and the max is 14000, realistic in a race setup is like... 2000)

I kinda suspect it's also affected by rear bumpstops or something cause I've tried similarly stiff setups for other cars and it doesn't happen.
I always had the "feeling" that there is something wrong with the rear axle on AC.
The fact that the engineer app is unable to calculate damping ratios when you have only a heave spring + arb at the rear is maybe a small indication, it's a not a good way to draw conclusions (i know), but i believe that they probably used the same code for the rear,knowing that it works well for the front. Also, when i calculate damping ratios manually i get different results comapred to that app for the rear, but i get the same results for the front.

Last edited:
There is a specific setup to check this? becouse i cant get the same result
I have tested with the F312T using this:

SUSPENSION :
wheel rate to MAX ( all )
ARBs to MAX ( all )
DAMPERS :
all values to MAX

Even checked with the curbs of silverstone (the big ones) and i cant get the same effect .

I always had the "feeling" that there is something wrong with the rear axle on AC.
The fact that the engineer app is unable to calculate damping ratios when you have only a heave spring + arb at the rear is maybe a small indication, it's a not a good way to draw conclusions (i know), but i believe that they probably used the same code for the rear,knowing that it works well for the front. Also, when i calculate damping ratios manually i get different results comapred to that app for the rear, but i get the same results for the front.

What a boring life must someone have when he tells the same stuff over and over and over again? About a game. Please, Qazdar, do us all a favour and look for a new hobby. Or enjoy the nice weather and perhaps have a beer? Or even two?!

Anyway, there is no need to make a circus of this, at best it's only problematic in very specific situations, and as I said even rF1 had similar issues (plus other funny issues regarding to damping and multiplayer). But on the other hand, there is also no need to go ultra defensive with the game, or accuse the mod to be wrong/unrealistic/not updated (I've seen many comments like this in PRC), I know that Andrea had a lot of data and took the development of the physics very seriously and carefuly, so I would trust in his work.

Just accept that there is a little minor issue that doesn't affect really the gameplay and move on.

Anyway, there is no need to make a circus of this, at best it's only problematic in very specific situations, and as I said even rF1 had similar issues (plus other funny issues regarding to damping and multiplayer). But on the other hand, there is also no need to go ultra defensive with the game, or accuse the mod to be wrong/unrealistic/not updated (I've seen many comments like this in PRC), I know that Andrea had a lot of data and took the development of the physics very seriously and carefuly, so I would trust in his work.

Just accept that there is a little minor issue that doesn't affect really the gameplay and move on.
Too late for that...

There is a specific setup to check this? becouse i cant get the same result
I have tested with the F312T using this:

SUSPENSION :
wheel rate to MAX ( all )
ARBs to MAX ( all )
DAMPERS :
all values to MAX

Even checked with the curbs of silverstone (the big ones) and i cant get the same effect .

I did the same on Mugello. I wasted my time for this bullshit. Nothing exploded.

Thanks David but that makes me now more lol

Thanks a lot for the very detailed bug report.
Indeed a PM would have been enough to fix the problem.
I feel pretty honored to have an article about our car in one of the most read blog ever :)

The reason behind this bug is very simple: I forgot to set min/max values for damper values in the setup.
We never noticed the issue, since we do our setups based on real values.

The base setup is the real setup used by the Omicron team at Spa in real life.

Those dampers have 2 settings with 8 positions (1-8). In reality you can't even set Fast and Slow as you want, but you have only 1 setting for bump and one for rebound.

Here is part of the calculations I've done for the dampers:
Dampers.png

and below a detail of the min/default/max settings.

As you can see the maximum values currently set in the setup menu are way off, and in the case of the Front Fast Bump the maximum real value isn't reachable.

I'll fix that in the next release of the car that will most probably come after AC v1.7.
I will include also the new cool features that KS has introduced in the new AC version (Brakes temperatures, tyre v10...)

Those are the values you need to put in AC.
UIBl23w.png

Bottom line, with correct values, there are no crazy explosions.
With completely wrong values, weird things might happen, but that's absolutely normal.

I've been always very happy with AC, and very impressed by the way it matches reality (comparing telemetry) when accurate data is used.

• Deleted member 130869

Thanks a lot for the very detailed bug report.
Indeed a PM would have been enough to fix the problem.
I feel pretty honored to have an article about our car in one of the most read blog ever :)

The reason behind this bug is very simple: I forgot to set min/max values for damper values in the setup.
We never noticed the issue, since we do our setups based on real values.

The base setup is the real setup used by the Omicron team at Spa in real life.

Those dampers have 2 settings with 8 positions (1-8). In reality you can't even set Fast and Slow as you want, but you have only 1 setting for bump and one for rebound.

Here is part of the calculations I've done for the dampers:
Dampers.png

and below a detail of the min/default/max settings.

As you can see the maximum values currently set in the setup menu are way off, and in the case of the Front Fast Bump the maximum real value isn't reachable.

I'll fix that in the next release of the car that will most probably come after AC v1.7.
I will include also the new cool features that KS has introduced in the new AC version (Brakes temperatures, tyre v10...)

Those are the values you need to put in AC.
UIBl23w.png

Bottom line, with correct values, there are no crazy explosions.
With completely wrong values, weird things might happen, but that's absolutely normal.

I've been always very happy with AC, and very impressed by the way it matches reality (comparing telemetry) when accurate data is used.

Mod Edit: Breach of privacy and doxing is not permitted unless permission has been explicitly granted by the directly affected party. This is the second time you have done this within the 6 month warning period, Gui. See you in 7 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Trophies