Esotic Slips Hud

Apps Esotic Slips Hud V1.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
Esotic submitted a new resource:

Esotic Slips Hud - shows tire slip under braking and slip angle under cornering

Demo Video:

As a big caveat, this app is hard coded to work best with Formula and GT cars (or anything using racing slicks). Some of the work to be done is to somehow graph all the tire compounds in AC and discover the real slip angle curves (slip angle vs lateral force or coefficient of friction).

In terms of the logic I have hard coded values for min_slip (3) and max_slip (10). I have assumed that "optimum slip" is right in the middle of these two...

Read more about this resource...

@Glimiril I have verified the issue that the API is not populating Tyre Slip with tire model 10.

I will have to follow up with Kunos on their official forums to ask for this to be fixed. I have added a few more variables to the top of the python file (need to release a newer version) that should help with achieving a different "look and feel". I'm guessing eventually there will be an INI file, but I'm not entirely sure when that coding will get done (what with my time for AC app coding being limited/finite). :)

Esotic updated Esotic Slips Hud with a new update entry:

tire model 10 quick fix

I have implemented the following code to try and mitigate the issues with tire model 10:

slip_fl, slip_fr, slip_rl, slip_rr = ac.getCarState(0, acsys.CS.TyreSlip)
if slip_fl == 0.0:
slip_fl, slip_fr, slip_rl, slip_rr = sim_info_obj.physics.wheelSlip
#multiple all these values by some amount? 1.0 in wheelSlip = ? in TyreSlip?
mult = 4500.0
scale = 2.2
slip_fl = ((math.log(slip_fl) + scale) / scale) * mult
slip_fr = ((math.log(slip_fr) + scale) / scale) * mult
slip_rl =...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Glimiril and @cr4wl3r0 (and anyone else that would like to control how far apart the wheel boxes are) please note the following line at the top of the Python file:

#the next two lines control how far apart to draw the boxes for each wheel
distanceWidth = 600 #600 is default | use small or negative values to bring the boxes closer together
distanceHeight = 200 #200 is default | -20 for Width and -30 for Height is doable

You can edit these two variable to control the width and height between the boxes.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Last edited:
Love the app, however, on my screen 1920x1080 res, the wheels show up in the upper right hand corner.
Can't move it at all. Why can't I adjust the placement as with other apps? It does not work very well this way

Love the app, however, on my screen 1920x1080 res, the wheels show up in the upper right hand corner.
Can't move it at all. Why can't I adjust the placement as with other apps? It does not work very well this way

It may not be obvious, but you should be able to grab the front left (top left) wheel with your mouse and move it around.

@robnitro Adding an INI file with options is on my ToDo list. Can you describe some of the various ways you'd like to control the size of the interface? Smaller/larger boxes? Closer/farther apart? More/less rotating? Adjusting the colors? I can imagine some folks may want to push the boxes out farther to the edges of the screen, and some folks may want them really tight and all together pushed off to one corner. I'm not sure there's a simple way to make all those various layouts happen, so I may end up making all the variables at the top of the python editable in the INI and then provide some examples of various layouts.

appHeight = 55
appWidth = 35
tyreWidth = 25
tyreHeight = 45
upperDistance = 5
distanceFromLeft = 5
#the next two lines control how far apart to draw the boxes for each wheel
distanceWidth = 600 #600 is default | use small or negative values to bring the boxes closer together
distanceHeight = 200 #200 is default | -20 for Width and -30 for Height is doable
#these two lines keep the boxes from flying wildly around the screen during hard collisions
minAngle = -20.0
maxAngle = 20.0

If you end up fiddling with all those number in the python you may be able to get something you like. Let me know if you have any questions or come up with a combination of settings you like.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Last edited:
@Davemester I'm guessing you could port the tire model 10 code fix back to a previous version, but if you reference the support post right above this it should explain how you can change the sizing of the various boxes and their orientations to each other to your liking. Also, you should be able to click/grab the top left box to move it around (assuming it's not been pinned down).

@Davemester I'm guessing you could port the tire model 10 code fix back to a previous version, but if you reference the support post right above this it should explain how you can change the sizing of the various boxes and their orientations to each other to your liking. Also, you should be able to click/grab the top left box to move it around (assuming it's not been pinned down).

Hey! Thanks, i was able to port the code (although never ever programmed anything so am very proud:) ) and now it works again perfectly. I'm very thankful. As I personally don't really interested in wheel angels, as the colors tell me enouh information, I will stick with the old one. I place it in the corner of my eye.

If I'm able, do I have the permission to rewrite the UI maybe? So there would only be four lights, with the same color function (maybe change colour to distinguish breaking slide and slipping silde if it isn't the same). but in a more compact UI? I wouldn't post it or take credit for it. (Maybe you can point me where to start? :) :) )

Thank you, again! Merry Christmas!
Dávid

Hey! Thanks, i was able to port the code (although never ever programmed anything so am very proud:) ) and now it works again perfectly. I'm very thankful. As I personally don't really interested in wheel angels, as the colors tell me enouh information, I will stick with the old one. I place it in the corner of my eye.

If I'm able, do I have the permission to rewrite the UI maybe? So there would only be four lights, with the same color function (maybe change colour to distinguish breaking slide and slipping silde if it isn't the same). but in a more compact UI? I wouldn't post it or take credit for it. (Maybe you can point me where to start? :) :) )

Thank you, again! Merry Christmas!
Dávid

Thanks for asking, and congratulations on modding/coding your first AC app! The great thing about python apps in AC is that all the code is readily available. I started SlipsHUD with code I got from Trashcutter on Github: https://github.com/trashcutter/TractionLoss

I haven't tried running running his version in awhile, but it may work well enough for you to get the idea (and may actually be closer to what you are wanting). Some things changed (were broken) with the V.10 tire model, so it's hard to say.

If you'd like to start a new app that's fine by me. If you'd like to coordinate on this app and contribute code and UI design I'm cool with that too. I was thinking about making some "presets" that users could cycle through with various looks/designs, or at the very least making all these settings INI entries and providing examples.

I've been fiddling about with some different color schemes for the tire slip. Nothing final, but if you'd like to check it out the download is here:
http://esotic.com/media/SlipsHUD_Esotic_20161224.zip

We can continue the discussion here in the public forum, but if you'd rather make it private feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Thanks for asking, and congratulations on modding/coding your first AC app! The great thing about python apps in AC is that all the code is readily available. I started SlipsHUD with code I got from Trashcutter on Github: https://github.com/trashcutter/TractionLoss

I haven't tried running running his version in awhile, but it may work well enough for you to get the idea (and may actually be closer to what you are wanting). Some things changed (were broken) with the V.10 tire model, so it's hard to say.

If you'd like to start a new app that's fine by me. If you'd like to coordinate on this app and contribute code and UI design I'm cool with that too. I was thinking about making some "presets" that users could cycle through with various looks/designs, or at the very least making all these settings INI entries and providing examples.

I've been fiddling about with some different color schemes for the tire slip. Nothing final, but if you'd like to check it out the download is here:
http://esotic.com/media/SlipsHUD_Esotic_20161224.zip

We can continue the discussion here in the public forum, but if you'd rather make it private feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. Currently I have no idea of the language of the code, all i did was find where to put your additions. :D So I think the realistic scenario is that when I have time, I will fiddle around, educate myself, and if I come up with something worth sharing or implemeting, I will come to you, first hand. ;) as I imagine it now, I only have to delete some of the UI elements of your code (scale, animation of wheels turning), and put the four squares closer, maybe smaller). Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see :)

Thanks again :)
Dávid

Optional layouts and new colors under breaking

The python file now contains a displayOption variable and 3 optional layouts you can try. Two of them are compact versions and one is a regular layout scaled up for use on a 4K TV. There are also new colors under braking. Purple designates the beginning of optimal braking, yellow is for the end of optimal braking, red means you've locked up a tire, and when the rear tires are light blue they are slipping more than the front tires. It's not abnormal for the rear tires to show some blue...

noShow option for making the tyres transparent

@PhilVitt Please note this update implements what you have suggested (mostly). Something like this has been on my ToDo list for a while. I'd prefer to have all the wheels be visible/invisible at the same time, so if any wheel is visible they all are, but that would require a bit more coding, and I've not devised an elegant solution for that yet. :p

This version will show/hide the tire boxes individually. They will always be visible under braking, but they will become...

@hugopor The V1.5 should have all the tires be transparent until one of them has something worth showing (yellow/purple or blue/red). The only reason you'll see white/black/grey is because if one of the tires are showing relevant data then all the tires are showing some data, which prevents you from only seeing 1 or 2 tires being shown at a time. When I was testing it felt odd to only have 1 or 2 or 3 tires on screen and not all 4.

@Esotic
Is there any way to bring the tyre boxes closer together/make them bigger I have tried to change the script but it didn't seem to make any difference at all.
Please find attached the two text files to hopefully show what I did and if you could point me in the correct direction.
I understand that you are busy and I expect a reply as and when you can do it.
Thank You Cornwall4ever/Chris

Attachments

• SlipsHUD new.txt
    22.6 KB · Views: 65
  • SlipsHUD-NEW.txt
    22.6 KB · Views: 65

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back