• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

EU DRM Revival @ Feldbergring - Wed 14 Aug 2019

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Racing Club' started by Craig Dunkley, Jul 18, 2019.

Added to Calendar: 14-08-19
  1. ChikiWaki

ChikiWaki
    Premium

Ratings:
    +139

2. JeroenH

JeroenH
    Addicted to cars Premium

Ratings:
    +49
    Thank you so much! Saving this and I will try to have a good look on it this week. I can't believe how much time you put in to this:inlove: In combination with the spreadsheet from @Ronnie Böhme I think I may be getting a hang on the thought process of getting something that works.

Awesome community!

• Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. ChikiWaki

ChikiWaki
    Premium

Ratings:
    +139
    I really appreciate this post @Bobby Pennington :geek:
    It has, IMO, a couple pearls in it. I've read many different notes on setting up racing cars, but your contribution is clearer.
    I've been struggling with setting up GT3s, now I am starting to see why, though I need to practice and get the feeling for it. I don't think I'll be ready for today's race (GT3 @ VIR), but in the long run it has really helped me. Now, I can follow a proccess of setting up, what to feel for, and the most important part "proTyres manual". It's clear now for me how to understand it, so I can assess if a setup is stiff or soft, and the carcass and core temp. Other material I have, including the helpful and clear flow chart from @Ronnie Böhme, fit into this main stream.
    Your kindness and willingness to help other fellow racers out of their despair is utterly appreciated. ;):)

• Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bobby Pennington

Bobby Pennington
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,832
    Hey guys, while I was out last night, I thought of a few things I failed to mention in my previous post with the guide. I've shared it over in the forums and here is the link to it. Things like this are always a work in progress, but I think what I added to it is good enough to get you started. I didn't mention bump stops / packers, bump stop / packer rate, bump stop / packer range or travel range. We'll get into that later, but it's pretty simple, but it's a lot of writing. You can watch videos or read other resources with your morning cup of coffee.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. Ronnie Böhme

Ronnie Böhme
    UTC +2 Premium

Ratings:
    +298
    Holy cow Bobby, this is a masterpiece. Absolutely amazing. :thumbsup::inlove:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ronnie Böhme

Ronnie Böhme
    UTC +2 Premium

Ratings:
    +298
    I'm sorry to reply that late but I've had a really crazy weekend.

So, I did a few (actually quite a lot) laps with each setup as it is, then with necessary adjustments like tire pressure, because that varies quite a lot with driving style. And then a few with the adjustments that to me seemed necessary.

I went with my own setup first, as a reference and to get into "the flow". I wasn't quite able to challenge my own quali time but got quite close with a 3:45.309

Next was your first setup. It has incredible traction exiting the slow corners and the turn in, especially in the right-hander that drops down a lot, is amazing. Yet at least for my driving style it is too twitchy in mid- and high-speed corners and I was always on the edge of losing it. This was showing in the tire pressures as well as my rears were at +1.2 - +1.5 psi (over the optimal value) all the time. So I fixed that and got a 3:46.001out of it. Since it was still too twitchy for my taste I've tried to fix that too. The main problem in my opinion is the low rear ride height which doesn't allow for enough suspension travel. I've raised it to the max at the rear and lowered it to the min at the front and got a quite predictable setup but couldn’t go any faster. It wasn't slower either, just more stable, thus less work to go fast.

Last was the hybrid which felt completely different, in a good way. I would have taken it as race setup anytime, just as is, but then I noticed I couldn't go fast enough. Despite the great handling I struggled to get into the 46es. So I've tried to find the Problem. First of all I've raised the front tire pressure by one click to keep the value at optimum in the fast right-hander after start / finish and the 3rd gear right-hander at the back"straight" risking a bit of overpressure in the tight turns but that is okay. That was immediately almost a second quicker. So I went for the rake setting again, maximising it as before, this time more for aerodynamic reasons. This made me so fast on the straights, because I could keep the momentum through the fast corners, that I had to raise 6th gear by one klick not to hit the limiter before start / finish. Et voila 3:45.12. After leaving the game ContentManager even told me that I would have theoretically beaten my pole time by almost 3 tenths. So with your permission I'd like to keep that setup if I may.

I hope that helps a little and is somehow what you've hoped / expected from this little experiment.

• Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  7. ChikiWaki

ChikiWaki
    Premium

Ratings:
    +139
    First of all I would like to appreciate the time you spent on this experiment.:):D No worries about the delayed response, I know you have your "stuff" going on.

Yes, indeed it helps me a lot. :thumbsup::geek:

The 1st setup is just too nervous in the mid-high speed corner. Very stable braking and slopes, and as you pointed out, amazing acceleration. Rising the rear and lowering the front really makes it very stable, less stressful to drive. But as you said, no difference in time, so better a more trustworthy setup.;)
    Hybrid, the idea behind keeping the negative rake is that allows for more changes in the setup, in case a need to twitch it a tad, highest rear and lowest rear (keeping the lowest possible negative rack) doesn't allow much tunning. But as you has shown me, there are many other ways of keep tunning the car.:rolleyes:
    So 1 more click on front tyre pressure, true, that makes the tyre pressure to be optimum at those critical turns you mention, and the overpressure in the slow corners is not that important. Lesson learnt.:geek:
    Definitely better the lowest negative rake possible, in terms of "confidence" on the front end of the car. I've learn to deal with the light front, but I don't like at all.:cautious:
    And lastly, one higher 6th gear, awesome. I'd already added one more click to your 6th gear. So now we have a very high-speed-end-of-the-straight car. :cool:
    Of course you can keep it and use it freely, it's your setup! If you don't mind, I also would like to use it :unsure: You know that I cannot even get close to 1sec diff. with respect to your raw speed. :cry:
    My goal is to be within 1.5 to less than 2.0 delta from your time, tops. :ninja:
    Again Ronnie, I really appreciate the time you've dedicated to my quest for knowledge. :thumbsup::)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  8. Ronnie Böhme

Ronnie Böhme
    UTC +2 Premium

Ratings:
    +298
    You are very welcome and of course you can use the setup whenever and wherever you like.
    One last word on the rake thing. You are absolutely right about limiting your setup options by going to extremes. But this car is special in that department. I've never seen (or noticed) that much negative rake at any car, usually I go for around 10mm to 20mm with a GT3 car for example and only very occasionally with extremes, depending on the possibilities of the setup.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  9. Bobby Pennington

Bobby Pennington
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,832
    Thank you Ronnie. That means a lot coming from a guy with your pace. It's a little scary putting your process and knowledge out there when there are so many more knowledgeable guys than me and I would be so embarrassed. I keep waiting for that moment where someone shows me an important piece of the puzzle I missed or got something backwards. I'd feel really bad if I led guys down the wrong path. If I do, I guess they'll find me at the end of it waiting on them because I'm master of that path:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.