Don't judge a book by it's cover...

Or a racing sim by it's graphics. I have to eat humble pie here and also apologise to @Gijs van Elderen. After my set up session the other night, I thought I would head into the club server for the upcoming Brands hatch Audi server. I did a couple of laps. came straight on here and posted a negative comment in the sign up thread about the poor graphics. This afternoon before I started my nightshift I thought I would have another go with the Civic on the same track using my new found knowledge from my set up session and with notes in hand I had another go. After about 10 minutes of fighting my way round this track, I started to make changes then go out and test then back in for more changes then back out and test. After an hour of testing, I hadn't even noticed the graphics because the feel of this track in my opinion was awesome. I still hadn't conquered the hatch but it just goes to show, that yes in a perfect world we would have photo realistic graphics with perfect physics, ffb, the whole works, even a fit blond giving you a BJ as you're racing but unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. So, my fellow racers, don't judge a book by it's cover or even a sim by it's graphics :)

rF2's graphics, while it's obviously an outdated engine, is more than capable of providing immersion.
Also it's crisp, screen tearing free , runs excellent in my crappy system , has natural look ( to my eyes is similar to natural look of AC and not to "cartoonish" look of PCars) and when starts raining, i am still impressed of how good it shows the variable condition of the track ( tarmac getting wet, line also, then when rain stops, tarmac drys really great ).

There is no perfect sim out-there.

The only issue for me is that it's really expensive and that is keeping me from buying it (still playing with demo version, only the Chevrolet Corvette C6.R), but the feeling that i have with all my senses ( eyes, hands, ears) , is the best from all sims that i have ( even better than my 2nd in my list: Assetto Corsa even though i have almost ~900hrs with it, rest are GSCE, iRacing, Raceroom) .
Some times i close AC and load rF2 and immediately wish that AC had the same great "feeling" (really close and is getting better and better though) .

So yeah, i don't believe that rF2 has problematic looks. It gets the job more than done.
But i agree that it's probably it's major weak aspect ( not more than it's price though, 85$ is hilarious ) .

not more than it's price though, 85$ is hilarious
Mmm, the 85 $ deal is for fan-boy's :barefoot: who want to "donate" that way. Or if you are 100% sure you'll play rfactor 2 multiplayer more as 5 years, the lifeime package is the best deal.

The correct price is 43,99 $ or 39,5 euro's : It's a 1 year multiplayer + Lifetime Offline mode + all future content will be for free.

If you still want to use multiplayer after 2,3,4 years (= 36 $ in total) : You are still better off to renew every year (12 $/year). But offlline + content and build updates are available forever :)

It's the cheapest sim out there. :geek: (except for GSCE)

Now go and buy! :cool: (just kidding! :D: But it's nice to know what the option are if you would. ;) )

I don't play offline (or rarely), so i still think that it's expensive.
GSCE and Assetto Corsa are cheaper and forever free even for multiplayer.
So correct price is 85$.
44$ is for a limited edition.

GSCE follows the ISI pricing model and beats ISI on price. However, GSCE doesn't have realroad and weather.

AC has add-on DLC. How much will that cost going down the road?

One important aspect that is keeping me from purchasing rF2 is it's small number of high quality scratch built tracks.

I'am very attracted to their Indycar and would purchase this today if the majority of the tracks (high quality) they race at were in this game. This also goes for some of the other series like the FIA GT3, Endurance and the tracks they race at.

Last edited:
I'm not even noticing the gfx I'm to busy trying not to bin it lol.It's a sheer pleasure to drive in this sim,the fact that you need maximum concentration when driving at the limit is pure immersion.I would like to see some more high quality tracks available, but the ones that are HQ are very good.

If you mean hillariously cheap, I agree :D Considering a lifetime of free content updates, a lifetime beeing many years in this case.
Since you know about iRacing and Raceroom I'm even more sure you meant cheap ;)

Yes, iRacing is out of question. I did 3 months free test and it was uninstalled in a week. Expensive and doesn't drive nice.
Raceroom is with 0$. I have spend only 12.3$ for it (ADAC 2013 and a DTM 92 car) , so it's super cheap (don't like it either way) . I know that if i buy all content , even 50% discount, it will be expensive.

Assetto Corsa cost me really few money (50% discount on steam + DLC1), so best value. Lifetime free.
If i add more DLC , i don't know. Maybe less than 60$???

rF2 is expensive. Off topic stops from me and i am sorry.

that's just running full whack (think reflections are on low, not keen on super sharp reflections in any sim) GTX 970.
im using MSI afterburner screen capture key.

if jaggies are your problem have you set this line in your PLR file:

"Texture Sharpening":0,
"Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

I still see jaggies on the white pavement lines and a few other areas. I will have try your edits and see if that improves my graphics.

Agreed, up to a point. When I was 3-4 seconds off the pace I felt the same. Now I'm on pace... Not even close.
I agree, the advancements in physics engine (including tyre model) really makes itself be known in RF2. SCE is still awesome, but you really feel the RF1-ness when you start getting to the limits, regardless of car.

SCE is still my 2nd favorite though and damn amazing fun :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back