DIY PC Sim Racing sequential shifter from BMW 5 F11

Hi! I would like to share with you my project about building/adapting sequential shifter for sim racing (Assetto Corsa mostly). So I have been looking around web to buy some device, but finally ended up with buying a shifter knob from BWM 5 F11, which is fully electronic shifter (called GWS). Depends on this, I've been able to adapt it with help of Arduino. Now it is fully functional PC shifter, which includes all behaviours from real BMW car. You can use it just as automatic transmission, but anytime you want you can switch to manual/sequential mode and control gear change yourself. You can switch both modes during gameplay as needed.

I encourage you to watch showcase video I have done:

Hope you like it! In case of bigger interest around community I will think about creating a guide/project manual how to build it by yourself.

Hi! I would like to share with you my project about building/adapting sequential shifter for sim racing (Assetto Corsa mostly). So I have been looking around web to buy some device, but finally ended up with buying a shifter knob from BWM 5 F11, which is fully electronic shifter (called GWS). Depends on this, I've been able to adapt it with help of Arduino. Now it is fully functional PC shifter, which includes all behaviours from real BMW car. You can use it just as automatic transmission, but anytime you want you can switch to manual/sequential mode and control gear change yourself. You can switch both modes during gameplay as needed.

I encourage you to watch showcase video I have done:

Hope you like it! In case of bigger interest around community I will think about creating a guide/project manual how to build it by yourself. i it look great

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea