DiRT Rally 2.0 DiRT 2.0 Update 1.4 Released - FFB Update Next Week

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 2 Update.jpg

Codemasters have released a new DiRT 2.0 update to the game - alongside confirming a new Force Feedback fix is on the way next week...

The new update, deployed to the title yesterday, comes at an important time for DiRT 2.0 with many players starting to become frustrated with a game that is seemingly failing to live up to its initial potential in the eyes of the community.

Having released across both PC and console just a few short months ago, Codemasters have remained active within the community and do seem to be responding to the feedback of the players, whilst at the same time releasing a robust if slightly controversial program of post launch DLC.

Although this update offers a number of useful tweaks and fixes, it is perhaps the final sentence of the below change log that will interest players the most... the long awaited force feedback update is set to be deployed to the game next week - hopefully addressing some of the issues that appear to be at the forefront of community members experiences to date.

DiRT 2.0 V1.4 Update Notes:
  • Online Custom events can now be set up as human only
  • Plain black and white liveries added for most vehicles
  • UI indication added for when ghost cars are stopped due to time penalty
  • Leaderboards will now support going to the top from all positions
  • AI will no longer select unreleased vehicles
  • Speedcar Xtrem wheels will not disappear
  • Improvement to Silverstone joker lap detection
  • Costa Rican added as a nationality
  • Tyre warnings are improved when in the service area
  • Reset line improvements on Mettet
  • Delta Daily will now award correct credits
  • Improvements to Opel Manta 400 engine audio
  • Turning off Personal Best ghosts will keep them off for the remainder of the session
  • Visual improvements to some vehicles
  • Proximity warnings will not be shown on retired vehicles
  • Resuming championships will not damage previously undamaged components
  • Stability improvements throughout title
Please note that a further update will follow in the next week, which will focus solely upon FFB – so if you’re wondering where that is, it’s just around the next corner!

DiRT Rally 2.0 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

For news, discussion, mods and more head over to the DiRT Rally 2.0 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Sure the game has it's flaws and Codemasters botched up the launch, but competition on rally sim front is really low. For me it has replaced Dirt Rally, which I kept playing for 4 years
DiRT Rally 1, Project CARS 2, WRC7,V-Rally 4,Dakar 18, Forza Horizone 4, DiRT Rally 2.0...
its Rallyssance !!
P.S. Today FFB update good jobe for T300RS, but pCARS2 - ideal.

The update improved the FFB for me although, I'd still like some subtle front grip-loss cues, a bit of torque-steer with FWD, and more rut-pull effect. RBR still does a better job with those things, even without the physics mods. In fact, hitting ruts at high speed in RBR can end your rally (with a crash or by just removing my arms from their sockets:p:D).

The bigger issue right now is with Micro-stutter that makes the game border-line unplayable. I've tried most of the popular fixes (low-hanging fruit) to no avail. Lowering graphics settings makes zero difference. I've yet to explore the linkage between micro-stutter and the wheel-driver issue, or disabling other usb-devices but, it's the worst stuttering I've encountered in a long time. It's been evident since release but, seems to have gotten worse as time goes on.

He said "rally sim", PC2 has no rally, FH4 is no sim, Dakar 18 is off-road rally(completely different discipline), V-Rally is no sim.

Disciplines are different yes, but how the cars handle should still be fairly similar.

They both drive on dirt and other loose surfaces, as well as tarmac using similar offroad racing suspension parts and tire compounds....physics and ffb I'd assume, would be very similar.....most rallyX cars are just beefed up rally cars using different tire compounds with more power and shorter gearing.

PC2 has multiple off-road classes, trucks, rx lite, WRX, retro WRX and group b rally cars...it just doesn't have rally stages.
Also pc2 & iracing both use loose surface physics, dynamic tracks and dynamic tires which Dirt 2 does not....and most likely the difference in the enhanced feel over Dirt 2.

So if we're gonna nitpick which is a sim or not, dirt 2 not having the above-mentioned features and pretty poor tire model....I would label it a simcade at best, so ya it's fair to compare it against those other titles lol :)

Last edited:
I actually like the RallyX cars in PC2 / iRacing / AMS. It does seem that all of those titles can do loose-surface physics quite effectively, and the tire-models transition between dirt and tarmac very nicely too. So yeah, they could likely do a very competent job of providing convincing staged Rally-car behavior too.

I actually like the RallyX cars in PC2 / iRacing / AMS. It does seem that all of those titles can do loose-surface physics quite effectively, and the tire-models transition between dirt and tarmac very nicely too. So yeah, they could likely do a very competent job of providing convincing staged Rally-car behavior too.

Agreed, tho I don't think AMS has loose surface physics but does feel good none the less.
I really enjoy the transition feel from dirt to tarmac in both those sims listed, when you enter the tarmac for the first few meters the tires still lack grip as the dirt is carried onto the tarmac and cleans from the tire tread. Dirt is more of light switch effect that turns into a feel of driving on a pool table with tires airdown to less than 10 psi.

Last edited:
Agreed, tho I don't think AMS has loose surface physics but does feel good none the less.
I really enjoy the transition feel from dirt to tarmac in both those sims listed, when you enter the tarmac for the first few meters the tires still lack grip as the dirt is carried onto the tarmac and cleans from the tire tread. Dirt is more of light switch effect that turns into a feel of driving on a pool table with tires airdown to less than 10 psi.
Good point about AMS but, Reiza did a good job none the less.

Most titles don't represent the dirty tire (onto tarmac transition) effect in a big way although, I've spun quite a few times in RaceRoom as I get back on track. :confused::)

It's annoying to say that but for me it got worse, the G27 is shaking, on the asphalt I feel nothing. I do not know what it can be.
Without a "Min-force" setting, all you can do is increase "wheel-friction" in game, or try more dampening in your wheel driver. You can also reduce the "Suspension" effects in the FFB settings (zero = pre-FFB update feel).

With more advanced wheels, we have smoothing filters that very effectively remove the clunky harshness that often comes with more detail so we can have the best of both worlds; smooth but, still detailed.

Without a "Min-force" setting, all you can do is increase "wheel-friction" in game, or try more dampening in your wheel driver. You can also reduce the "Suspension" effects in the FFB settings (zero = pre-FFB update feel).
I haven't tried a lot with the game-FFB before, but especially the self-aligning torque is now very similar to the foundation-FFB and felt rather strange and uninformative before. I did some FFB-settings to replicate what i tweaked in Sim Commander before and that seems very similar on gravel. On tarmac i needed higher suspension-effects to get more road-feel and some engine-vibes missing and greyed out for whatever reason. Are there wheels with these option available? I know people who love engine-vibes with their FFB.

Last edited:
Does this count?

https://www.facebook.com/Thrustmast...6029474860077/404581700352298/?type=2&theater

Mind you, I completely disagree on setting Damper to 0, because it's an outdated concept that also has the side effect of the Tyre Friction setting having no effect, so it basically makes you lose tyre grip effects (something many DR2 users complain about, unsurprisingly).

I am really happy about this discussion, as I found this video with Jon Armstrong showing his wheel settings.
I gave it a try and now I´m really happy with the FFB-effects on my T150-wheel.

I don´t know anything about real cars on gravel or any other surface - so what counts for me is that I am able to estimate the reaction of the car - realistic or not.

My experience was on military trucks and small tanks - there was nothing to feel in the wheel or the handlebars.
The only feedback was in my seat , and I think that each real car has different feedback through the steering so there might not be the ONE AND ONLY correct FFB for every car in a simulation.

The thing I don´t know is the effect of the changes Codemasters did with this update. But I am happy now!

If you prefer the way things felt previously, then simply head to the Input section of the Options & Extras menu, select your device and then adjust the ‘Suspension’ slider in the Vibration & Feedback tab to 0.

I honestly don't think this is correct. If I put the Suspension slider to 0 after the patch, there's absolutely zero road noise or suspension effects. Before the patch with the default 100, there most definitely was road noise and suspension effects. Not very pronounced, but they were definitely there, and not as a placebo. Then again they don't really say what exactly do they mean by "the way things felt previously". Perhaps they don't mean the default setting of 100, I don't know.

(I will say more about my opinions on the FFB update elsewhere.)

I am really happy about this discussion, as I found this video with Jon Armstrong showing his wheel settings.
I gave it a try and now I´m really happy with the FFB-effects on my T150-wheel.

I don´t know anything about real cars on gravel or any other surface - so what counts for me is that I am able to estimate the reaction of the car - realistic or not.

My experience was on military trucks and small tanks - there was nothing to feel in the wheel or the handlebars.
The only feedback was in my seat , and I think that each real car has different feedback through the steering so there might not be the ONE AND ONLY correct FFB for every car in a simulation.

The thing I don´t know is the effect of the changes Codemasters did with this update. But I am happy now!

That video in the link is from Feb. Pre game release.
From todays build notes they tweaked the suspension ffb setting, seems they added a surface vibration effect.
Christina said they will continue to improve the ffb over time.

I honestly don't think this is correct. If I put the Suspension slider to 0 after the patch, there's absolutely zero road noise or suspension effects.

I agree, to me it seems like they took the road vibration that was present on controls and ported it to the wheel profiles.

Using the same suspension settings I had pre update the new surface effect is way too overpowering and the only way to reduce it, is by lowering the suspension...which also reduces the suspension effects.

Probably would have been smarter to have made it's own slider for the effect or add a min ffb effect slider.

A ffb clipping tool would have been nice aswell to dial in the ffb properly, atm any setting above 50% suspension feels clunky and clipping but unable to verify if it is or not?

What setting would suggest playing with to get more tire detail (not road bumps)

I posted my settings on the previous page but curious if I am in the same ball park as you?

Cheers

@Kurupt CDN I didn't have much time to spend on it, but from some quick tests, I am basically running the same settings I was except with suspension now at 75 (not ideal but seems like a reasonable compromise between cars and countries) and I lowered the SAT by 10 (because they apparently raised the FFB for my wheel by 10 percent, so I had to compensate).

Tyre detail...I'm not sure what you mean, but if it's grip, then tyre friction would be the first I'd tweak.

And yeah, it would be great to have an FFB meter, but I suspect the default values would be clipping quite often.

wheel friction and tire friction, it makes no difference if I leave it at 0 or 150

Be sure to leave damper settings for your wheel at default and not set it to 0 like many people do, because if you do, you lose tyre friction and wheel friction in the game. But even if you do keep it at default, the effect can be fairly subtle.

Last edited:
It is true that most titles are designed to work with the Direct-Input effects at 100% (Damping, Friction, Spring, Sine, etc.). In some titles, it makes little difference but, the Dirt series FFB does rely on these effects.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 73 29.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 50 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 53 21.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 5.7%