Direct drive wheel base and VR headset doesn't work together

Hy, I was reading a lot of articles and forums about my issue, but I didn't find a fix for my problem.
The problem is, when I screw in my Fanatec CSL DD to my sim rig from beneath the screws dig into the wheel base and the sim rig so electricity flows to my sim rig and when I put on my VR headset or touch it, it goes grey. If I unscrew my wheelbase and isolate it with a rubber or paper towel it fixes the problem. How can I insulate the bolts or fix this problem?

Its likely going to be a physics problem. Plastic washers top and bottom of the bolt sides, maybe ? It may be an earthing issue - but its odd, I've had several fanatec bases and none have delivered any power or change in potential with the rig. Steel of course and mine have been mostly alu.

Plastic washers I think?

And perhaps an insulating layer between the base and the deck - rubber mouse mat or similar cut to shape?

Last edited:
Its likely going to be a physics problem. Plastic washers top and bottom of the bolt sides, maybe ? It may be an earthing issue - but its odd, I've had several fanatec bases and none have delivered any power or change in potential with the rig. Steel of course and mine have been mostly alu.

Plastic washers I think?

And perhaps an insulating layer between the base and the deck - rubber mouse mat or similar cut to shape?
I tried rubber washers to both side but I think as the screws go through the wheel base holding metal piece, they touch the metal and the washers don't do anything. Tomorrow I will try painting the screws, using teflon tape and using heat shrink on the screw treads, and hopefully something will work. I tried earthing it to my PC case but didn't work. If I'm in a 1 meter radius of my sim rig the VR headset goes crazy.

• Deleted member 197115

That's grounding issue, the best solution is to run wire from CSL DD to the ground.
Here's relevant discussion.
OSW DD wheels were notorious for this, surprised Fanatec commercial wheel still has this problem.
Next time buy Simucube. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's grounding issue, the best solution is to run wire from CSL DD to the ground.
Here's relevant discussion.
OSW DD wheels were notorious for this, surprised Fanatec commercial wheel still has this problem.
Next time buy Simucube. :D
I will make a longer grounding cable and connect it from my CSL DD to a metal pipe, or should I try connecting it to a socket with ground only? I think I will sand down the anodizing from my wheel base for better contact.

Can you draw a wiring overview for us? I'll probably can't help you, but I know that this shouldn't happen.
Maybe you've got a ground loop from having the Wheelbase and PC in different wall sockets or something like that?
Or a powered USB hub in the signal chain?

I'd think that it's intential that the Wheelbase is electrically connected to the rig, so the ground from the wall socket grounds the csl dd chassis, which then grounds the rig too.
Otherwise the DD motor could lead to a different potential between Wheelbase chassis and rig via EMI/induction.

So I'd guess the issue is that the VR headset and the Wheelbase have a different potential and aren't connected to the same ground.
Which is a bit weird, since the headset should be grounded via the USB port to the same ground as the PC PSU and all wall sockets in the house should have a common ground too.

So my guess is a ground loop. Without full info about all wires of the PC + Rig, it's difficult to help you (for people that actually know how, I'm just guessing with very basic knowledge).

Can you draw a wiring overview for us? I'll probably can't help you, but I know that this shouldn't happen.
Maybe you've got a ground loop from having the Wheelbase and PC in different wall sockets or something like that?
Or a powered USB hub in the signal chain?

I'd think that it's intential that the Wheelbase is electrically connected to the rig, so the ground from the wall socket grounds the csl dd chassis, which then grounds the rig too.
Otherwise the DD motor could lead to a different potential between Wheelbase chassis and rig via EMI/induction.

So I'd guess the issue is that the VR headset and the Wheelbase have a different potential and aren't connected to the same ground.
Which is a bit weird, since the headset should be grounded via the USB port to the same ground as the PC PSU and all wall sockets in the house should have a common ground too.

So my guess is a ground loop. Without full info about all wires of the PC + Rig, it's difficult to help you (for people that actually know how, I'm just guessing with very basic knowledge).
I have a 6-way safety power strip connected to one wall socket and everything is connected to there: pc, wheel base, display, VR headset

But this stuff is all black magic to me as I don't understand how this works at all, I measured continuity and made a grounding cable but don't know what I am doing...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.