Alright when was that again.....?

With so much grip and downforce the Mercedes will be always hard on tyres, hoping max can grab a place on the first lap to keep things interesting :)

With so much grip and downforce the Mercedes will be always hard on tyres, hoping max can grab a place on the first lap to keep things interesting :)

The FIA also like to work on that. To have the cars creating less downforce. I think after the 1-mode rule, they like to introduce that. It's a change with the floor of the car.

Well, clearly the only thing that we can surmise from this is this is that Lewis can be beat in qualifying by a teammate 20-30 percent of the time, depending on how he feels. But in race conditions Lewis is far superior than both. There have been many times when Lewis raced against Rosberg that Lewis took the lead during the race in a wheel to wheel situation. The only reason that he is not able to do this against Bottas today is because the engine overheats , the tires overheat, the brakes overheat, and the chicanes hurt the car. Lewis is incredible during qualis, but he's twice as better in racing form, Bottas not so much against Lewis.

Let's keep two things in mind here - Lewis is the all-time poles leader because that is his thing. He can squeeze out those tenths when he needs to do it. He's got more poles and wins this year than Bottas already. Second: Rosberg has always known that Lewis was the better driver, and because Rosberg is so much at peace with him self today he is finally able to admit some things, like the fact that he admitted back in April that he was never as talented as Lewis and that against Lewis he was not equipped to win multiple titles against him. Of course the most knowledgeable know just how Rosberg got his title in 2016 in the first place, but I digress.

Your hero, has for the last few seasons, only had to beat Nico and Bottas, to very unremarkable drivers who were made to look exceptional because of the Merc advantages....

You mention Nico being at peace with himself, well something that was lost not long ago was a rare sign of humilty from Lewis in the death of Niki...

He said and i pretty much quote:

"Niki was the reason i went to Mercedes... without Niki i would still only have 1 WDC and been on 22 wins..."

Amazing what death can bring out, if only briefly.....

I honestly think now that Lewis is convinced he could win in the Williams.... same as he is convinced being snapped up by McLaren aged 12 and given the best karts etc was a sign of a racist sport....

Proper quote:

"If I hadn't had the call all that time, I would be a one-time world champion now, and probably on 22 wins or whatever it was when I was at McLaren [21 victories]," said Hamilton.

"And I sit here a five-time world champion. I definitely feel like I owe him a lot."

• Deleted member 963434

gt3 has gentlemen drivers tey pay like 1 000 000 euro to drive at 24 le mans

Deploying anti-Merc measures in the middle of the season after making secret arrangements with Ferrari about their engine will revive FIA's good old nick.

Reducing downforce is another story, drivers generally say they'd go that way for closer racing.

Another question..... as much as i like the guy.... what actually does Toto do?
I mean, did he design the car? the aero package? The engine?
Is he just another guy in the right place at the right time?
Could he of lead Williams to 7 WCC?

Genuine question.

Every thread turns into this embarrassing contest. Seriously gone downhill here recently, the level of discussion. It is possible to appreciate the talents of more than one driver; once you learn that, you can appreciate the sport more.

But it is a contest..... which is about the best team, but everyone, including the teams and FIA realise the fans get tribal over the drivers so that's what get promoted and that is what people talk about....

Most people then simply try to explain the the Lewis fans that yes he is the best driver, but he is also in the best car by a mile, which makes stuff quite dull at the sharp end...

But it is a contest..... which is about the best team, but everyone, including the teams and FIA realise the fans get tribal over the drivers so that's what get promoted and that is what people talk about....

Most people then simply try to explain the the Lewis fans that yes he is the best driver, but he is also in the best car by a mile, which makes stuff quite dull at the sharp end...

But this was always the case. The last 20 championships or so were won in the best car. Are you going to explain to Schumacher fans about how his car was one second faster than competition in 2001, 2002 and 2004? Alonso is the only driver who came close to winning the championship not in the best car in 2012. Vettel won with rocketships, Button won with a rocketship, as did Schumacher. Alonso didn't have the best car in 2005, but his car had the best reliability, so in a way car was a deciding factor there as well. In the 90's most titles were again won with Adrian Newey rocketships and Benetton won a few with Schumacher with all kinds of illegal aids and what not. You'd probably have to go back to the 60's or 70's before the turbo era if you want to see champions winning more by pure driving.

Your hero, has for the last few seasons, only had to beat Nico and Bottas, to very unremarkable drivers who were made to look exceptional because of the Merc advantages....

You mention Nico being at peace with himself, well something that was lost not long ago was a rare sign of humilty from Lewis in the death of Niki...

He said and i pretty much quote:

"Niki was the reason i went to Mercedes... without Niki i would still only have 1 WDC and been on 22 wins..."

Amazing what death can bring out, if only briefly.....

I honestly think now that Lewis is convinced he could win in the Williams.... same as he is convinced being snapped up by McLaren aged 12 and given the best karts etc was a sign of a racist sport....

Proper quote:

"If I hadn't had the call all that time, I would be a one-time world champion now, and probably on 22 wins or whatever it was when I was at McLaren [21 victories]," said Hamilton.

"And I sit here a five-time world champion. I definitely feel like I owe him a lot."

My wife is my hero, she's a wonderful person who inspires me everyday. Now that I have cleared up your confusion, I have to ask why you do you think that any of that would matter to me? Look, I like Lewis because I simply don't like any of the other drivers out their today, except for Ricciardo. Lewis, and Ricciardo are the only two drivers who continually impress me in today's F1 landscape.

Now, as far as any problems that you may have with who he has raced for in the past and present I don't know what to tell you to soothe you except that, McLaren and Ron Dennis wanted Hamilton okay, Hamilton, and no one else will do. It's the same with Mercedes, they came to Lewis because they envisioned him in their car, and again no one else would do, and before you mention Hulkenberg, well he was a second choice, as in - if they couldn't have who they felt was the best driver for their team, they would settle for the Hulk, and that is in no offence to Hulkenberg personally.

Basically it doesn't matter in the end because those teams wanted Lewis, they came to him. The only question that remained after that was - what will he himself do with the opportunities offered to him.

There you go.... Obviously someone bigger, and greater than us all, felt that Lewis should be in the position that he is now - hence the opportunities vs others.

But this was always the case. The last 20 championships or so were won in the best car. Are you going to explain to Schumacher fans about how his car was one second faster than competition in 2001, 2002 and 2004? Alonso is the only driver who came close to winning the championship not in the best car in 2012. Vettel won with rocketships, Button won with a rocketship, as did Schumacher. Alonso didn't have the best car in 2005, but his car had the best reliability, so in a way car was a deciding factor there as well. In the 90's most titles were again won with Adrian Newey rocketships and Benetton won a few with Schumacher with all kinds of illegal aids and what not. You'd probably have to go back to the 60's or 70's before the turbo era if you want to see champions winning more by pure driving.
Totally agree except for the last bit: Prost did it in 1986, taking advantage of the Piquet - Mansell war.

It is actually impossible to compare current F1 to earlier decades of F1 racing, because the cars' reliability and the teams' professionalism is way, way superior.

oh my Watching FP3 and they all complaining about minimum lap times......never ending story :ninja:

Knock Knock someone go and tweet ( I don't or i would ) to change the format kind of like MotoGP
where there is only half the grid per session

OR better still

Get rid of FP3 and make it a qual race like crofty suggested
top ten go straight to Q2
bottom ten run Q1 with the top 2 progressing to Q2

Max cars on track Q1 - 10 and Q2 - 12

Get rid of FP3 and Q3 .. a second race would be much better !

Also the best traction or was that 2006

Either way I remember Martin watching the replay of one start he remarked " incredible " and comparing Alonso to a racing game :laugh:

Brundle said yesterday the Mercedes was like a scalextrix car the way it handled.....

I love Martin's little quotes....like when he said that the driver only makes up 10% of the cars performance....

Yes i agree. But when you say the same about Lewis some people can't cope with it...

Lewis wasn't too happy about F1 back when he wasn't winning everything...
He was saying only what some are saying about F1 over the last few years.......

2013:
"Britain's former world champion Lewis Hamilton says he fears Formula 1 fans will lose interest in the sport because Sebastian Vettel is so dominant.

Vettel, 26, is on the brink of a fourth consecutive world championship after winning the Korean Grand Prix.
Hamilton said he did not watch races when Michael Schumacher dominated.

"I remember waking up to watch the start of the race then going to sleep and waking up when it ended because I knew what would happen," said Hamilton."

Max Verstappen is a good driver, that's it. Personally I have always been more impressed with the performances of Daniel Ricciardo when he was with Red Bull. The only reason that Verstappen looks better than both Gasly and Albon is because his teammates have to drive a car that is made and molded from the Verstappen template, and that's the point to Verstappen's success over his teamates today.

Red Bull didn't make cars molded to any particular driver when Ricciardo was on the team because there was no clear number one driverat the time, and that explains why Ricciardo handled Verstappen much better than both Gasly and Albon. The problem with that though was that Ricciardo was a threat to the senior Verstappen's plans. That is why Red Bull continuously gave Ricciardo bad cars, while Verstappen had better cars after 2017 but before those shenanigans started happening, Ricciardo continuously outscored Verstappen for points every season.

You see, the only reason that Ricciardo isn't on the team today is because Ricciardo didn't have a father and former F1 driver sitting in the paddock during every race negotiating deals, and speaking for him. Ricciardo had to do everything on his own merits (just as a young man should be taught to do) and Ricciardo did just that. Verstappen has an ex-driver father with who knows how to talk and negotiate for his son, and that is why Verstappen isn't the real deal, he didn't do **** on his own. He had daddy do it for him. Now he has teamates who are forced to drive cars that are not configured to their liking. No one would wear a custom suit that was tailored for another man's body, and I can imagine that is what both Gasly and Albon feel as though they are/were wearing an uncomfortable suit.

Today Rosberg echoed the same thing that I have said for so long - Ricciardo should be driving for a better team. He's much better than Verstappen because he proved it during his Red Bull years.
I wonder where people who say one driver gets a better can than the other driver get this information from, since teams will never admit this in public. Some people seem to forget F1 is more a constructors championship than a drivers championship. They get the money based on constructor points, not when a driver becomes WC. So, why would RB give Ricciardo a worse car than Max? That would result in less points for the constructors championship. Ricciardo is a great driver who should drive in a top team. I was sad he left RB, since with him RB could have a better car at the moment, because that is wat RB is missing at the moment... 2 drivers that can outperform the car.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back