Did you Actually get a RTX3080/90? How?

IMG_1424.jpeg

I decided this was worth celebrating with a beer over. What a ride.

I was seriously feeling so defeated from the PS5 restock this morning here in Japan (I couldn't even get it into cart), that I didn't even want to stop at the local PC hardware shop that reopened (It was my favorite store to visit before my wife got pregnant, I used to just go and lurk). I thought "Why bother? It's just gonna be a bunch of overpriced 3060's (not Ti's) and 1050's". My wife convinced me to go, said we're already out and she doesn't mind the drive. Something felt "different" in the air while we were on the escalator. I saw a college aged kid walking around clutching a box that said "RTX" on it like his life depended on it. I looked closer and I saw "3060 Ti". I thought whoa, that's rare... I better run to the high end glass case where they keep the cards more expensive than $700 just in case. It's always empty but hey, maybe?

I see two Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080's, a Nitro 6800 XT, an AsRock Challenger RX 6800. In the next glass case over, another Nitro 6800 XT, a Red Devil 6800 and a Vision 3090. Holy ****! At MSRP! (Japan MSRP but still, not $1800 like what they go for on the second hand market here). Japan has 10% tax but before that, the MSRP was $1050. I consider that a good deal. Especially since Japan has a 15% automatic mark up on every part you buy here due to importers.

I didn't even wait, I looked around and saw the first employee I could and said "YOU, I am buying this!" He might've been taking a crap and on his way to wipe for all I cared, that card was mine. I basically stated the universal language for dibs on it.

I paid $60 for the shop warranty because, why not? If it dies in the first year, I'll get 100% of the value in store points. Points are redeemable on a dollar per dollar value for in-store purchases. Plus this shop has consistently put at or below MSRP parts into all my builds since I moved to Japan. It might be revenue for them, but I'll consider it an honor to thank them for not buying the card during their lunch break to scalp online for $700 profit.

This combined with the Ryzen 5600X I scored last week from Amazon US that just cleared customs in Japan and is on the way to me, the SF750 Platinum PSU I got and the NR200 case, I think I'm gonna name my next build "Out of Stock".

Stay hopeful guys, they're out there. Japan has a lower priority on gaming graphics cards too, so my Europe friends should also be hopeful. Also scalping and mining is just as popular here. I'm guessing there's a major re-stock happening this week or next.

Picking up my ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX GAMING OC 10GB Tomorrow Finally.
Down Under in Perth Western Australia.
Ordered it at the beginning of October 2020. Since then the price has gone up a extra $200, however my supplier honored my Pre Purchase price.
Just waiting for other one to arrive for my second computer considering I Pre Purchased them on the same day.
Now time to sell my Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX GAMING OC 11GB which should fetch a decent price considering 3080's are hard to come by.
Hope it was worth the wait and the upgrade?

Last edited:
Picking up my ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG STRIX GAMING OC 10GB Tomorrow Finally.
Down Under in Perth Western Australia.
Ordered it at the beginning of October 2020. Since then the price has gone up a extra $200, however my supplier honored my Pre Purchase price.
Just waiting for other one to arrive for my second computer considering I Pre Purchased them on the same day.
Now time to sell my Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG STRIX GAMING OC 11GB which should fetch a decent price considering 3080's are hard to come by.
Hope it was worth the wait and the upgrade?
Good deal. I was added to the wait list on October 6th and have a projected order date of July 1st.

What displays or VR are you running?

Good deal. I was added to the wait list on October 6th and have a projected order date of July 1st.

What displays or VR are you running?
NO VR Yet don't really have too much time to race that often as I'm in IT been in business for 26 years and work from home, always too busy to get the time unfortunately.
My Display is 30" LG32GK850G-B QHD 144Hz G-Sync Awesome Monitor which I have two one for each computer, hence why I'm still waiting on my second 3080
My Setup.jpg

Last edited:
I race in VR, Valve Index. But might upgrade to a Reverb G2 if they resolve all the issues. Even the Index pushes a 3070 hard in VR for ACC/RaceRoom. And those sims are much more "affordable" for content, iRacing is expensive. So hoping the 3080 will make them run well so I can quit iRacing if I get more active in a racing league.

With me it was just a case of dumb luck. I hadn't pre-ordered one anywhere, but for about three weeks or so I've been checking various websites to see if they had any 3080s in stock, without success.
But on Sunday evening, I happened to check out a website here in Germany called mindfactory.de. And they had five
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OCs in stock. I thought, that's too good to be true, where's the catch? But I ordered one anyway, and got a confirmation mail a few minutes later to say that the payment with Paypal had gone through, and my card was reserved for me. And it came on Tuesday morning. Happy days!
I must have hit exactly the right ten minutes because I went back to the site a few minutes later to look and wanted to send a link to my son-in-law to say: I've finally found one! But they had dissapeared in the meantime because they were sold out.
I paid € 983.90, which is absolutely outrageous I know, but it was still worth the money from the performance upgrade standpoint. It replaced a 1080, and it is really a quantum leap. I'm now skint, but totally chuffed :)
A small update, and the confirmation of what incredible luck I had back in November last year. I thought €984 was a rip-off, but I just took a look online at Alternative here in Germany, and 3080 cards are now going for €1800 :confused:
They have 3090s in stock too, but €2800 for a video card? Has the world gone completely mad?
I think I'll have to wait a long time till I have another stroke of luck like that, I'm still totally flashed about it. Good luck to all you guys still looking, I hope you succeed soon

A small update, and the confirmation of what incredible luck I had back in November last year. I thought €984 was a rip-off, but I just took a look online at Alternative here in Germany, and 3080 cards are now going for €1800 :confused:
They have 3090s in stock too, but €2800 for a video card? Has the world gone completely mad?
I think I'll have to wait a long time till I have another stroke of luck like that, I'm still totally flashed about it. Good luck to all you guys still looking, I hope you succeed soon
Yes people thought I was stupid buying a 3090 now it’s worth double, was a good investment

Purchasing that 3090 at MSRP is what encourages GPU prices to be what they are.

The market is completely wrecked right now and nothing you buy is helping the situation, MSRP or not. People willing to spend $1500 on a 3090 at launch just shows how acceptable it is to release such a card. You can justify it any which way you want, but I'm still in queue for an MSRP 3080 since September and I'm currently using the 6800XT that I also bought at launch and waited 6 weeks for, for roughly MSRP. I would still be using my 1080Ti had I not been lucky to be put in a priority queue for the 6800XT.

Listen to that last statement. "Lucky", to be put in a queue? That right there shows how destroyed buying a GPU is right now. The more we pay for cards, MSRP or not, will only solidify the current pricing for future releases.

To post something on-topic:
I've seen a 3080 for 839€ available a week after launch at the German Notebooksbilliger.de
While refreshing the 40 gpu tabs...

Instantly hit the buy button and selected "pickup at your local store when available and pay it there and then".

That was September, 26th 2020.
In early November the same happened for a 3070 but I actually got it 2 weeks later.

So happily running my 3070 for 679€ since then but this week I got an email out of nowhere:
"your 3080 would be available but due to lockdown, we would need to send it to you directly. You'll get a provisional invoice during the next days. Please do the transaction and we'll get it ready for shipping afterwards".

Checked the exact email address and server, legit! Got the invoice, same legit email and bank account was the correct one.

Sent the money, got the card on Friday :)

Can't really believe that my order was honored after these month and still for the same 839€.
30% more performance for 23% more money.
A rare scenario for pc hardware :D

But to be fair: I don't see any improvement, since my 10600k is the limiting factor in ac, rf2 and acc anyway...

I undervolted it so thanks to the more dense cooler behind the same exact shroud and fans as the 3070 (both tuf models), the 3080 has a lower power consumption as the 70, all coil wine and rattle is gone due to that and the card stays a lot cooler and quieter as the 70.
While still having about 20-25% more performance headroom :)

To post something on-topic:
I've seen a 3080 for 839€ available a week after launch at the German Notebooksbilliger.de
While refreshing the 40 gpu tabs...

Instantly hit the buy button and selected "pickup at your local store when available and pay it there and then".

That was September, 26th 2020.
In early November the same happened for a 3070 but I actually got it 2 weeks later.

So happily running my 3070 for 679€ since then but this week I got an email out of nowhere:
"your 3080 would be available but due to lockdown, we would need to send it to you directly. You'll get a provisional invoice during the next days. Please do the transaction and we'll get it ready for shipping afterwards".

Checked the exact email address and server, legit! Got the invoice, same legit email and bank account was the correct one.

Sent the money, got the card on Friday :)

Can't really believe that my order was honored after these month and still for the same 839€.
30% more performance for 23% more money.
A rare scenario for pc hardware :D

But to be fair: I don't see any improvement, since my 10600k is the limiting factor in ac, rf2 and acc anyway...

I undervolted it so thanks to the more dense cooler behind the same exact shroud and fans as the 3070 (both tuf models), the 3080 has a lower power consumption as the 70, all coil wine and rattle is gone due to that and the card stays a lot cooler and quieter as the 70.
While still having about 20-25% more performance headroom :)
Make sure you download HWInfo and run it while gaming, check to see if you're getting thermally throttled. You'll lose 10-15% performance that way and it'll make it seem like the 3080 isn't much of an upgrade. I don't know which 3080 you got, but most of them have really awful thermal pads on the memory chips.

Make sure you download HWInfo and run it while gaming, check to see if you're getting thermally throttled. You'll lose 10-15% performance that way and it'll make it seem like the 3080 isn't much of an upgrade. I don't know which 3080 you got, but most of them have really awful thermal pads on the memory chips.
Thanks for this comment! Definitely important for many!

I'm already running hwinfo64 though and the Asus tuf is one of the best cooled cards, and silent after thermally normalized against others.

Memory at +500 never goes past 100°c and the gpu itself happily stays below 70°c, with the thermal limit put to 85 by myself in afterburner.

The limits read out showed a constant power limit, after undervolting it shows voltage and usage limit, which is how it should be :)

The performance gain is fully visible for the min fps when I run an acc replay maxed out and choose a trackside cam.
Well.. 22 to 29 fps aren't that superb, but it's 30% :p

There was a time where 30% extra performance came at the same price point. That's how hardware works. Things get faster and entice you to purchase new things. By the logic stated above, there will be an infinite increase in price for things that get faster in performance.

What a terrible world to live in should that occur.

How quickly people forget.

There was a time where 30% extra performance came at the same price point. That's how hardware works. Things get faster and entice you to purchase new things. By the logic stated above, there will be an infinite increase in price for things that get faster in performance.

What a terrible world to live in should that occur.

How quickly people forget.
If that was towards me:
The 3070 has 100% more performance for 35% more money compared to my old 1070 (505€ to 679€).
That's generational leaps as they should be, although it would've been nice for the 3070 to only cost 505€...

About 3080 vs 3070. Normally the best bang for the buck is at the lower performance end.
I5 vs i7 for example. 33% more cores for 54% more money.

So an 80 card getting you more bang for the buck than the 70 card is very rare!

It wasn't directed at anyone specifically, just an observation that the state of the market is completely cooked and the way it gets there most of the time is the complacency of the consumer. The 80 class cards and above should always offer less 'bang for the buck' as the higher you go in a product stack, the lower the value proposition normally becomes. However, I see people justifying ridiculous price creep with the "well it's faster so it should cost more". This is not how PC hardware and the majority of consumer electronics work.

Normally, we upgrade our devices due to something faster being available to purchase after a certain amount of time owning the old or current device. I've rarely, if ever, replaced a PC part due to failure, yet I've upgraded my PC countless times. This shows a want, rather than a need, to replace my current hardware. If we replaced devices simply because they stopped working, we'd hardly ever buy new things compared to the current rate of upgrade cycles. Therefore it's on the manufactures of these devices/products to offer a compelling reason to buy new things when we don't really need them.

If we continue to excuse the price increases we've seen across the Turing and now Ampere generations with the product stack shift, overall increase in MSRP, the fallacy of only the "founders edition" being more expensive than AIB partner cards, the insane existence of the 3090 at $1500, etc. we are creating a world where it's OK to pay 50% more than last generation for the same product segment for 50% more performance. The cycle will never end if this happens and we'll be paying tens of thousands of dollars for GPU's before we know it.

It sounds stupid but that's the logical conclusion to the argument being made by many to support what we've seen over the past 2 - 3 years. Inflation should only be responsible for a very small amount of the increase and should be consistently aligning with financial markets. Even then, the cost of production of each card, not accounting for recent shortages of silicon and other materials required for PC hardware, should be going DOWN since the amount of units sold is MASSIVE compared to 10 years ago. Yes R&D plays a significant role in cost but what magical leaps have we seen recently in anything PC hardware related compared to when 3D accelerators were literally changing the game when introduced 15+ years ago? Hardly anything.

The constant +30% each generation is getting SO boring. As is the predictability of performance in a given product stack. 5%, +5%, +5% +5% for each tier by time the stack has been completely fleshed out.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Trophies

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Forum trophies