Did you Actually get a RTX3080/90? How?

While I feel the same way (I didn't buy the 3090 btw), the RRP price differential doesn't represent the reality. The difference between a scalped 3080 partner card and a 3090FE is not as vast as the paper numbers might suggest.

With the reported price hikes across the board imminent, I wonder if £1400 will seem like such an absurd amount in 6 - 12 months as I make do in VR with a weak card.

I'm personally holding out for a 3080ti (I can dream) for an element of future-proofing as I don't think it will be too long before game makers utilise the extra RAM - certainly within the lifespan of the card.
As of today, the EVGA 3090 card is more than double the cost of the the similar trim level 3080. I am in line for a 3080 EVGA card and I am willing to wait until June when my number will come up. Maybe I will get lucky sooner and spot a card.

As of today, the EVGA 3090 card is more than double the cost of the the similar trim level 3080. I am in line for a 3080 EVGA card and I am willing to wait until June when my number will come up. Maybe I will get lucky sooner and spot a card.
I'm sorry your wait is so long. I agree that only people pushing boundaries (like my triple 4k rig) should buy the 3090, so I hope you get to find the joy of a 3080 soon!

Walmart? The MSI Aegis RS 10TH-061US (RTX 3090 + i7-10700K, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HD)
was listed lasted weekend on NewEgg for US$3K, so I bit. That same PC is currently listed for the same price at Walmart.
Unlike most prebuilts, seemingly all parts here (except perhaps RGB controller) are items avaiable to DIYers.

Good video.
Interesting to see the 8.7GB of GPU VRAM usage in ACC.
Most other titles were a bit above 4.5

vram reading you see is allocation not actually used. It’s not possible to know what’s actually being used sadly. More modern games will generally eat up a lot of available vram. Example cod will eat up 20gb+! Of vram on my 3090 but it’s not like people with 3080’s complain about performance issues due to lack of vram.

Last edited:
I really feel sorry for those who sold their 10 or 20 series card to finance the purchase of a 30 series card.

In Switzerland there doesn't appear to be any graphic cards available, at all, apart from some basic video output cards, primarily designed to give servers a video output.

It's got so bad that somebody even offered me $2500 for one of my 2080 Ti cards last week, and got well PO'd when I said I'm not selling at any price. He flogged his 2080 Ti the day after the Nvidia announcement and ordered a 3080. The retailer has now cancelled the order and refunded him stating that they will not have stock in the foreseeable future. With crypto currencies taking off again and a world chip shortage he now realises that he's likely to be SOL for at least 6 months, probably a year.

I really feel sorry for those who sold their 10 or 20 series card to finance the purchase of a 30 series card.

In Switzerland there doesn't appear to be any graphic cards available, at all, apart from some basic video output cards, primarily designed to give servers a video output.

It's got so bad that somebody even offered me $2500 for one of my 2080 Ti cards last week, and got well PO'd when I said I'm not selling at any price. He flogged his 2080 Ti the day after the Nvidia announcement and ordered a 3080. The retailer has now cancelled the order and refunded him stating that they will not have stock in the foreseeable future. With crypto currencies taking off again and a world chip shortage he now realises that he's likely to be SOL for at least 6 months, probably a year.
Can't he just go onto ebay or amazon and pay a scalper? For $2500 you could get an RTX 3090.

Unless it's direct from Amazon themselves most, if not all Amazon sellers will not ship to Switzerland due to export/import duties. Switzerland is not in the EU so we get stuffed.

Yeah I moved to Switzerland in October lasty year, slowly learning what you can and can't get easiliy.

I did end up getting a 3090 FE via scan, sent to my folks in the UK in their last stock drop, then sent over here and payed duty ontop, it ended up about 7.5% uplift in cost, took ages to send but was fine. Will possibly have pain issues if I had to warranty it, but feel lucky now to have even got one.

There is literally nothing at Digitec now, looked like they were getting some stock before Christmas. But now absolutely nothing. Not surprised people are getting desperate if they sold before the launch.

Looked today and all thats listed are a random lot of pro cards, Quadro and AMD pro cards. and some GT710s. Total disaster.

Yeah I moved to Switzerland in October lasty year, slowly learning what you can and can't get easiliy.

I did end up getting a 3090 FE via scan, sent to my folks in the UK in their last stock drop, then sent over here and payed duty ontop, it ended up about 7.5% uplift in cost, took ages to send but was fine. Will possibly have pain issues if I had to warranty it, but feel lucky now to have even got one.

There is literally nothing at Digitec now, looked like they were getting some stock before Christmas. But now absolutely nothing. Not surprised people are getting desperate if they sold before the launch.

Looked today and all thats listed are a random lot of pro cards, Quadro and AMD pro cards. and some GT710s. Total disaster.

General rule of thumb is around 6 months to a year after the rest of Europe gets it. At least I bagged a Reverb G2 from Digitec on Friday, and they still have stock if VR is your thing.

You could also check Brack and Microspot for stuff, but I'll let you into a little secret, for the most part they share a large warehouse, so if it's out of stock at one, then it'll be out of stock everywhere.

Oh, and this is nasty. If you're looking for a new version of an older product you won't get it, you won't even be able to order it, in fact the the Swiss dealers will even deny its existence until they have sold out of their stocks of the older product at full price.

Anyway this is going too far off topic, so I'll end there.

I got one before christmas by browsing the local classified ads after hearing about restocks.

I would watch online for potential restocks and verify they were happening by looking at the second hand market, and then when I saw a few happening in my area I pounced on the first decent card I could find.

I ended up picking up an Aorus Master 3080 for only a a bit over MSRP. At the time my local craigslist analogue had several different cards available due to a convergence of restocks. The zotacs were the most common and you could even find them for MSRP if you called around enough. At the peak of the restocks you could find both the AMP Holo and the Trinity for roughly MSRP. Funny how quickly things change.

I live in Vienna and the craigslist analogue i was using is called willhaben.

It's got so bad that somebody even offered me $2500 for one of my 2080 Ti cards last week, and got well PO'd when I said I'm not selling at any price. He flogged his 2080 Ti the day after the Nvidia announcement and ordered a 3080. The retailer has now cancelled the order and refunded him stating that they will not have stock in the foreseeable future. With crypto currencies taking off again and a world chip shortage he now realizes that he's likely to be SOL for at least 6 months, probably a year.
You're kidding right $2500 and you didn't take it?
You could have somebody buy and ship you even one of the over-priced 5700XT and still have well over a $1900 left until the market calms down a bit.
Sure! you'd take a hit on performance versus the 2080Ti but you'd at least recoup some money from that originally over-priced card.
You'd also be sitting 'pretty' for and pop-up deals in the future at which time, you could sell the 5700XT.

Last edited:
You're kidding right $2500 and you didn't take it?
You could buy an over-priced 5700XT and still have well over a $1000 left over to 'hold' until the market calms down a bit.
Sure! you'd take a hit on performance versus the 2080Ti but you'd at least recoup some money from that originally over-priced card.
You'd also be sitting 'pretty' for and pop-up deals in the future at which time, you could sell the 5700XT.
Looks like 2080 Ti's are going for $1200-1300 on eBay.

You're kidding $2500 and you didn't take it?
You could buy an over-priced 5700XT and still have well over a $1000 left over to 'hold' until the market calms down.
You'd also be sitting 'pretty' for and pop-up deals in the future.

Yeah and then what do I do. There is absolutely sod all available in Switzerland, nothing, nichts, nada. The only graphic cards you can freely buy at the moment are just video output cards intended for servers as they have little or no GPU capabilities - the integrated graphics on my 9900K is magnitudes more powerful than these cards.

With that in mind a 2080 Ti in my rig is worth way more to me than $2500 all dressed up with nowhere to go.

The massive chip shortage at the moment coupled with fake imaginary currencies taking off again means that I doubt GPUs are unlikely to be freely available until the middle of next year. Honestly I feel damned lucky I managed to bag a Reverb G2 last week.

Yeah here in Switzerland it's gotten to the point where you cannot even buy a 5500 or RX580 or a 1660 let alone the dizzy heights of a 5700xt. Only professional cards are available to buy at great expense. Or a gtx 710...

Like agree it makes sense to make money if you have stuff to juggle, but if you only have one card and enjoying it best keep your head down and wait till it blows over.

BTW I've got 2 radeon Viis to sell now. Reckon I might get some decent cash for them.

A co-worker just scored an RTX3070 FE at MSRP a few minutes ago from BestBuy here in NC.
Seems they got a bunch of 3060 variants in and a few 3070FE cards.
If you've got the BB app you may get lucky.
I've put videocard purchasing on an indefinite hold.

Last edited:
I went to Best buy near me for a new mouse, Walked by the case with the video cards in and there it was a 3090FE 1499.00 Picked that up and the mouse and left happy. Did not install it yet setting up a new rig and have a Titan Pascal in there now which actually works very good for X plane . The only sim game I ever played was Project Cars and it was a great game. Now on to bigger and better Racing games. Is there such a thing as falling in the rabbit hole when building a motion sim rig? I put a ride on train on my farm for my 14 grandkids, and I did fall into the rabbit hole on building that.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.4%