Details about the engine of Assetto Corsa

Have Kunos revealed any details about their engine? It seems a very nice engine. What sort of polycount are they using for the models? They look very similar to pCARS models, very detailed and smooth. Lighting seems very natural and clean. Looks like a PC version of GT5 too me. Really can't wait

it's in house made engine. DX11 only, compatible with DX10.1 cards. Works also on older Dx10 cards but might have fps hit.
We use around 50-60 thousand polygons for LodA. Normal maps are supported and used everywhere, lot's of shaders, HDR, real time reflections, real time shadows, blablablayaddayaddayadda...

Here's how screenshots are made. We try to find a very nice place of the track, while a very nice car goes through the replay... we press print screen on the keyboard (or whatever key when using fraps), we then put the resulting screen in the AC logo template and post them around. Sometimes we're amazed ourselves by the results and there are plenty of "do we did this really?" comments in the office :p

Do we made any compromises in the graphics? Yes plenty of course, but made in a way that you practically never see them when racing. I dare say it looks better when you driving, than when you're taking still screenshots.

it's in house made engine. DX11 only, compatible with DX10.1 cards. Works also on older Dx10 cards but might have fps hit.
We use around 50-60 thousand polygons for LodA. Normal maps are supported and used everywhere, lot's of shaders, HDR, real time reflections, real time shadows, blablablayaddayaddayadda...

Here's how screenshots are made. We try to find a very nice place of the track, while a very nice car goes through the replay... we press print screen on the keyboard (or whatever key when using fraps), we then put the resulting screen in the AC logo template and post them around. Sometimes we're amazed ourselves by the results and there are plenty of "do we did this really?" comments in the office :p

Do we made any compromises in the graphics? Yes plenty of course, but made in a way that you practically never see them when racing. I dare say it looks better when you driving, than when you're taking still screenshots.
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds and looks a very capable engine graphically with alot of promise. The models look superb. I raced alot of NetKar, most of it here at RD with the NKP club and all it ever seemed to lack was the visual fidelity, it looked good but suffered badly with aliasing that i could just never get rid of whatever i did.

This new engine just from the screens is showing a far cleaner looking image to that of what NKP could do. Obviously the models themselves look extremely detailed and confirmed by the polycount there you just said.. But you need the lighting aswell to do those type of high poly cars justice and this engine looks to do that with ease.

Off topic i know and i assume bottom of the list but will AC include a freecam of some sort?

Freecam you mean like doom mod in nKP, like "walking" around with your mouse and keyboard and such? Yes already in.
tumblr_kv4399hWWz1qzdr4go1_500.jpg

well right now we have the usual trackside cameras around the track, plus you can press a key, exit the car and position your camera wherever you like, you can also change FOV on the fly and exposure... obviously it's an open pre-alphawhateveryouwanttocallit, but I don't see why limiting this feature.

Of course this means you can also go to places outside the track that are "ugly", but hey it adds to flexibility for screenshots and videos, so why limit it... but I'm not the one deciding for this so don't blame me if it's not there in the final version (me washing my hands lol)

P.S. Just realised... you're THE Lee ross... BSNismo... the guy that makes those jaw dropping videos... wow, really admire your work, congrats.

well right now we have the usual trackside cameras around the track, plus you can press a key, exit the car and position your camera wherever you like, you can also change FOV on the fly and exposure... obviously it's an open pre-alphawhateveryouwanttocallit, but I don't see why limiting this feature.

Of course this means you can also go to places outside the track that are "ugly", but hey it adds to flexibility for screenshots and videos, so why limit it... but I'm not the one deciding for this so don't blame me if it's not there in the final version (me washing my hands lol)

P.S. Just realised... you're THE Lee ross... BSNismo... the guy that makes those jaw dropping videos... wow, really admire your work, congrats.
LOL er thanks. I think the THE bit was a bit extreme, make me sound like the king of england or something. Wish Bram would stop doing that aswell haha. I just make videos for fun nothing else. Thanks though all the same.

Regarding your post, that sounds excellent and exactly what i was hoping for. Thanks

And LOL @ pre-alphawhateveryouwanttocallit

So..with the walking cam for example at vallelunga, exit the car first and walk to the pit and then walk up the stairs to the 2nd floor and jerk the door of yours like FPS game, then, can I see you?

Then, don't give us things like a gun or rocket launcher even though it's a real sim, of course you can give us too. :rolleyes:
LOL, i just had a epic comedy moment there.

Ok imagine this, it's the biggest weekend of your racing life, your halfway through the race at monza coming down the start/finish straight, going at top speed, then all of a sudden choppers start flying over, followed by 12 tanks tumbling through the outter edges of the circuit making their way accross, with 120 troops running behind, fighter jets flying very low over the top of you, your car comes to a sudden halt and you think to yourself "what the hell is going on" , the soldier replies... it's Judgement Day Sir.

sorry i'll stop ranting now, i was just imagining battlefield 3 soldiers & Vehicles (their graphics) intergrated in AC and this scene above happening!

LOL, i just had a epic comedy moment there.

Ok imagine this, it's the biggest weekend of your racing life, your halfway through the race at monza coming down the start/finish straight, going at top speed, then all of a sudden choppers start flying over, followed by 12 tanks tumbling through the outter edges of the circuit making their way accross, with 120 troops running behind, fighter jets flying very low over the top of you, your car comes to a sudden halt and you think to yourself "what the hell is going on" , the soldier replies... it's Judgement Day Sir.

sorry i'll stop ranting now, i was just imagining battlefield 3 soldiers & Vehicles (their graphics) intergrated in AC and this scene above happening!

You have just described the Syrian F3 Championship.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back