Community Question | Your First Sim Racing Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Us sim racers tend to quite like our toys... from rigs, to wheels, pedals, button boxes, VR headsets, apps, software, PC's and plenty of stuff in between.... and for those of us lucky enough to own a wheel, I'd love to know which one was your first...

Not everyone runs with a wheel and pedals, but of those of us that do, I'd like to know which one was your first, and what you thought of that hardware and how in impacted your experience playing racing games and simulations.

For my part, my very first wheel was the little white plastic Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless unit - I thought that was the absolute pinnacle of technology back in the day. Oh, how the hobby got serious after that!

Xbox Wheel.jpg

Although ownership of a racing wheel came late on for me, I also clearly remember playing IndyCar Racing over at my mates house using a really old, spring force PC wheel. That piece of kit brought the whole experience to an absolutely unthinkable level of immersion. The passage of time has dulled my memory of its name now, but suffice to say I was very, very envious of that bit of hardware...

Anyway, have fun reliving days gone by in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Mine was a "Medion PC Lenkrad" (from Aldi - similar to the linked image)
lenkrad-mit-fusspedal-foto-bild-120555850.jpg

. I still can hear and feel that middle button click :)
It might still live in the attic at my parent's.

Upvote 0
you gotta love the print there promising "non stop action"! Seriously, what would be the alternative? A gadget which only works for maybe half an hour and then needs to relax for two hours from all the heavy work? A gadget which only works every now and then, depending on the moon phase?

Upvote 0
I was rocking the CH Products back when I started sim racing. Started in 1989 when I stumbled across Indianapolis 500 - The Simulation at a Babbages in Clearwater Florida on Christmas break. Only had the "wheel" for a while and drove with the buttons on it. You were either full on the throttle/brakes or full off. I added the pedals a few years later and I thought I was in a whole new world of control!
I too played Indy 500 back in the day. The Yellow Chevy was the easiest to win with. My fave was the Red Buick, the hardest to win with was the blue car (Lola)?

Upvote 0
Currently running my first wheel which is a logitech g920 and pedals just upgraded to a fanatec shifter, waiting on heusinkveld sprint pedals, and simetik k2 rig. Currently researching which direct drive wheel to buy.

Upvote 0
Good morning,
I own a G29 and I would like to understand what I need to set both in the logitech software and in the RaceRom game to make 180 ° turns at low speed. More than 90 ° I can't.
Thanks bye

Upvote 0
Goodmorning everyone. I just purchased RaceRoom and I immediately had a problem with my G29 steering wheel
I immediately went to the Macao circuit and when I reach the hairpin bend I can't turn.
The wheels don't make more than 90/100 degrees.
I have done various tests but I have not succeeded.
Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what rumors to change about the game settings and maybe about the logitech software?
Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Goodmorning everyone. I just purchased RaceRoom and I immediately had a problem with my G29 steering wheel
I immediately went to the Macao circuit and when I reach the hairpin bend I can't turn.
The wheels don't make more than 90/100 degrees.
I have done various tests but I have not succeeded.
Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what rumors to change about the game settings and maybe about the logitech software?
Thank you in advance.
Make sure the steering lock in your car setup is set to 17 or higher. Then the hairpin shouldn't be a problem when you steer fully to the right. Turn in on the "BUS" writing on the ground.

Upvote 0
I think mine was the Thrustmaster Grand Prix 1, but my memory keeps telling me it was called the Thrustmaster 2. However, I remember the throttle and brake being levers behind the wheel, with buttons on the front for changing gears, which matches all the Grand Prix 1 pictures I've found.

Eventually the throttle input became very spiky so I upgraded to the MS Sidewinder (non FFB) and then to my current Logitech G27.

Upvote 0
I've got the Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback Wheel ages ago. Lately, because of Jimmy, i'm getting back to sim racing. I was surprised that the wheel still works, and Logitech still maintain the drivers. So i got it working on Assetto Corsa.

But the dead zone in the middle is a killer. Need to figure out how to get rid of it... :(
1589881478075.png

Upvote 0
After buying GPL all those years ago, I bought a Trust F1 racemaster, lusted after the Act-labs with shifter but hard to get in the uk

progressed to Microsoft FF sidewinder looking for a better racing experience but in all honesty I found the FF annoying and didn’t enhance any aspect of driving with it, sold it on and went back to the Trust until I bought a Logitech Momo
i loved that wheel and the FF seemed to me a world apart from the sidewinder.

If only the Momo was a bigger diameter and had more rotation....I then bought a driving force GT.
Noisy and the paddle shifters were terrible but I kept with it until I got a G25
G25 served me well until a Fanatec Forza CSR with club sport v1 loadcell pedals came up locally very cheap.

with The exception of the Trust wheel, everything I bought was used

As demand for lockdown activities increased, I sold everything apart from the Trust ,on eBay , making a very healthy profit on everything. My only regret was selling the Fanatec pedals, instantly regretting it the moment the hammer fell and knowing I’d be buying them again in the future.

Upvote 0
For me its the T300 RS Alcantara as well.

Bought it January to train Heel,n,Toe for my Touristdriving on Nordschleife.

Well things escalated quickly with building an aluminium rig, than progressing from PS4 to PC for the tripple monitors and the AC Mods.

Than modified the T3pa Pro pedals to load cell, clutch feel and better potientiometer links.

Now I´m almost finished with my cockpit, only have to get the rotary encoders to work.
( Everybody can buy a button box :cool:)

Still wanting for a DD wheel, but can´t justify the expense. ( it´s still f....ing 2020:poop: and i haven´t done one lap on track this year)

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I've got the Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback Wheel ages ago. Lately, because of Jimmy, i'm getting back to sim racing. I was surprised that the wheel still works, and Logitech still maintain the drivers. So i got it working on Assetto Corsa.

But the dead zone in the middle is a killer. Need to figure out how to get rid of it... :(
View attachment 374214
FFBCLIP apps for AC works great to eliminate clipping and tightened the center on my now dead DFGT (after 10 years of sevice!)
Edit: + FFB deadzone fix. Both available here on RD

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back