Community Question | Your First Sim Racing Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Us sim racers tend to quite like our toys... from rigs, to wheels, pedals, button boxes, VR headsets, apps, software, PC's and plenty of stuff in between.... and for those of us lucky enough to own a wheel, I'd love to know which one was your first...

Not everyone runs with a wheel and pedals, but of those of us that do, I'd like to know which one was your first, and what you thought of that hardware and how in impacted your experience playing racing games and simulations.

For my part, my very first wheel was the little white plastic Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless unit - I thought that was the absolute pinnacle of technology back in the day. Oh, how the hobby got serious after that!

Xbox Wheel.jpg

Although ownership of a racing wheel came late on for me, I also clearly remember playing IndyCar Racing over at my mates house using a really old, spring force PC wheel. That piece of kit brought the whole experience to an absolutely unthinkable level of immersion. The passage of time has dulled my memory of its name now, but suffice to say I was very, very envious of that bit of hardware...

Anyway, have fun reliving days gone by in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread, so not sure if this has been posted - if not I may win the prize for oldest wheel...

Back in the 80s (I'd have to look up when this thing came out) I had the Wheel for ColecoVision. It had an accelerator, but no brakes. You could insert the controller into the side of it and then the joystick would operate as a shifter (2 gears: High and Low). The roads weren't really roads. And you didn't really steer. If there was a corner, the car just went around it. The game jumped from screen to screen and you basically dodge other cars with the wheel - it basically moved the sprite of your car left to right on the road, regardless of what the road itself was doing. I remember the most challenging screen was a curve going around a wall to the right. It was somewhat blind and left the least reaction time to dodge a car that came around it.

ColecoVision-Espansion-Module-No-2-Wheel-004a.jpg

Upvote 0
I've got the Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback Wheel ages ago. Lately, because of Jimmy, i'm getting back to sim racing. I was surprised that the wheel still works, and Logitech still maintain the drivers. So i got it working on Assetto Corsa.

But the dead zone in the middle is a killer. Need to figure out how to get rid of it... :(
View attachment 374214

I'm still using one of these as well, but just placed and order for a G29 that should be here tomorrow. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 91 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 66 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.3%
  • < 5 years