Community Question | Front Wheel Drive / Rear Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Race cars come in all shapes and sizes, and one of the most distinctive variations are the driven wheels - but which format is your preference?

Some of us loath front-wheel drive machinery, claiming RWD is the only way to go (and frankly, that does have merit), while other sim racers really enjoy the different set of skills needed to peddle a tin top with all the power coming from the front of the car. Throw into the mix the exceptional grip of 4WD and the seemingly endless ability to throw it around even the tightest turns, and you have yourself a pretty wild and different collection of driving styles from which to choose.

With the joys of sim racing presenting players plenty of opportunity to take a pick from pretty much every type of car... ever, each of us has the chance to get behind the wheel of our favoured type of racer...

... which one is yours?

4wd footer.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest i enjoy driving all type's BUT
RWD's has to be somehow kind to me through their feel as i don't like and don't feel comfortable driving squashy RWD's ... And to be precise i SUCK at DRIFTING...

I think for a pure racing car, it has to be RWD, however I have to say what I find the most interesting is FWD, mainly for how much technology has been developed for them to not drive like FWD cars. If you read some of the development of the S2000 and Super Touring cars, they devoted millions of pounds of research into developing suspension and special diffs that would eradicate power understeer to a large degree.

All can be fun, but I think, logically, RWD is the best. You can get the best handling balance in a RWD:

- Fronts do the bulk of the braking, rears do the accelerating. This lets you get a nice heat/wear balance.
- Under accel, weight transfers to the rear wheels, so it makes sense to have the power there.
- In powerful enough cars, you can use the throttle to help rotate the car at corner exit.

I prefer the qualities of a No Wheel Drive.

It takes a while to learn how best to use gravity, but you'll complete a lap in no time! (Won't be fast, but hey! you did it!)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back