Community Question | Front Wheel Drive / Rear Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive?

AWD - yeah fantastic... in MudRunner.

FWD - I guess it's OK if you want racing when control loss simply means understeering into the kitty litter and not wiping out the entire field in the process, but from a driving point of view it's rather boring, isn't it?

RWD - Hell yeah - you've gone in 3 wide, braked a tad too late, got on the throttle a tad too early and that rear end is getting well out of shape. You've got to keep it in check and still send it - that rush is what racing is about.

Well, it real life I've only had four wheel drive cars for a long time due to the long and icy winters, but for sim racing I prefer rear wheel drive cars mostly. I also do appreciate FWD cars, the TCR in IR feels just fantastic to drive and offers great door-to-door racing,

From a racing purists point of view it is always going to be RWD.It is faster,looks more spectacular & your steering input is not affected by the wheels being driven.
FWD can be fun.The old Minis did oversteer & one make or touring car series have close racing in real life or sims.
AWD is definitely more efficient than RWD off road but personally I think WRC would be far better to watch if the cars were 400HP RWD instead of the 350HP AWD.

I prefer the qualities of a No Wheel Drive.

It takes a while to learn how best to use gravity, but you'll complete a lap in no time! (Won't be fast, but hey! you did it!)

We did that in motorcycle training, teaches you alot about looking ahead and (not) breaking ( don´t waste momentum :mad:)

For me it´s oldschool, front engine rear wheel drive.

And keep it simple, I really enjoy cars like the MX5Cup and (in real life the GT86), because the Miata doesn´t come in " men´s size :rolleyes:)

But I´m quite fresh in simracing, let´s see what I like next year.

So, whatever drives your car, have fun!!

MFG Carsten

Since we have fwd cars, why not try rwd with only rear braking?
Seriously:
Physically, rwd makes just sense. Or go awd with the same torque split as the brakes are, just opposite of course.
Would be 90/10 I guess? Editing the setup in the dirt games to similar values is great fun. Not uncontrollable like full rwd but still super drifty :D

From a racing purists point of view it is always going to be RWD.It is faster,looks more spectacular & your steering input is not affected by the wheels being driven.
FWD can be fun.The old Minis did oversteer & one make or touring car series have close racing in real life or sims.
AWD is definitely more efficient than RWD off road but personally I think WRC would be far better to watch if the cars were 400HP RWD instead of the 350HP AWD.
I prefer RWD myself, but hasn't AWD usually shown itself to be faster when it's been allowed in a mixed series? By spreading out the torque across more wheels and therefore more contact patch area they can get more power down with less wheelspin. Cars like the Audi Quattro in TransAm, IMSA then DTM 88-91. Or the LMP1 hybrids that could never be balanced well against the RWD non-hybrids because the electric motors on the front wheels helped so much with acceleration traction regardless of what balancing they attempted on raw power, fuel limits, etc

Spent most time on track in trailing arm BMWs; oversteer was my friend..
.. but I enjoy the heck out of a tweaked VTEC del Sol..
Never got comfortable with AWD.

For fun and racing in simulators I generally prefer RWD. Really the answer is all three though. It can be great fun racing FWD touring cars, even some FWD road cars, and for rally there is nothing like AWD although I find all three fun for that.

For the real world I love having an AWD beast for the utility and fun that can be had with it. At the same time my heart is really always going to be with RWD cars, just because I love to slide a car, but I just can't deny the usefulness of AWD and for that matter the legality.

I like all. Obviously RWD gives us the greatest variety of racing cars, which does not make FWD touring cars or even the odd AWD one less enjoyable. The same goes for rallying. Especially RRRE's Audi V8 and DR2.0's R2 cars are tremendously enjoyable to drive.

Furthermore, did Lotus not test FWD vs RWD when developing the (M100) Elan in the late 80s? And did they not conclude a FWD car with moderate power (200 hp) is always faster down a country road?

RWD.

Having had two awd cars(Impreza GTT and Audi S3) (and a dozen FWD cars incl 205 GTI 1.9 Catless) in real life, rwd is the most balanced.

My mate( M2Comp DCT and 6MT) is awaiting his Yaris GR in january, selling his '19 Fiesta ST(great car, but Fwd lol)

I want a Yaris GR (incl the Torsens) so badly.:)

My current car M2 Competition MHD 500HP tuned and running PS4S.
A blast with which I do driftdays and trackdays.

Having had E46 M3/E90M3/1M/M2 OG in the past.

So RWD + LSD= balance and fun.

But I also do not mind an EVO Mitsu/Imprezas/WRC cars and off course Group B...$$$$$$$

I NEVER choose an FWD car in any sim. NEVER. Because it doesn't feel right to me. sorry.

Cheers
Robin

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back