Community Question | Best Racing Game of All Time?

Grand Prix Legends.

In 1998 it was way ahead of its time and it still has a dedicated community, that releases high quality mods.
If you get used to the cars it's still great fun to drive.

Honestly the racing game that has stuck with me throughout the years since the original Playstation, has always blown me away with every iteration, and is now sealing the deal with VR is.....................

WipEout.

Yeah it's arcade, but with an incredible level of subtlety in the controls and an incredible sense of speed with glorious locations and wonderfully stylised graphics.

I forgot that one, Got pulse and pure and play them occasionally..

Hard to pick just one.
I guess for me, I spent a huge amount of time on Revs on the BBC computer at school, before finally getting on my C64.

GP1 through to GP4 I also spent a lot of time with. Then came Grand Prix legends, a game that felt so rewarding to get right, I don't think I've ever felt so driven to get good at a sim since then, largely due to GPL rank.

Indy 500, Indycar Racing 1 & 2 and the Nascar series. Had them all, played them all to death.

GTR2 was good, excellent in fact, but I don't get the love for the AI. They were too easy to beat in long races, because even if they had a 30 second lead you totally could destroy them in traffic.

AMS1. Probably the best ISI based game for me. Looking forward to see what AMS2 brings.

AC and ACC are probably my current favourites, I think ACC is going to be regarded as a classic that we'll be talking about for a long time. I'm hoping that AMS2 gives it a run for it's money though, just because of the varied car roster.

If I had to pick just one of those, it would probably be GP4, with GPL a very very close second, but I'd be keeping an eye on ACC and AMS2.

the game I have had the most fun with is. euhhh is euhhh, euhhhh Pcars2.:D Despite there are so many great race games released. In know Pcars2 is for a lot of the gamers a no go but I had and still have a lot of fun with it.
AC and ACC are great as well. I don't know if those are the best race games but definitely the ones I have the most fun with.
Not forget the oldies back in the days. Played on a PC with 4 MB ram and if you wanted 16MB ram you had to pay €1100.. :confused: for the ram only.

Assetto Corsa is the best overall. It has all I need. We all agree that good graphics are important, as well as good force feedback, physics, VR and tripple monitor support and lots of configuration posibilities. However, there are other elements the value of which depend on what you expect from a racing game. For instance, since I don't race (only hotlap and drive for fun), AI or online performance are not important. On the other hand I need variety of cars, including lots of street cars, not just race cars. Many modern sims are strictly focused in motorsport racing, and that's a shame. I understand that some people may love Assetto Corsa Competizione or Automobilista 2, if they don't care about street cars.

For the different eras in my mind :
- GPL
- F12002 with GTR2002 and BPR mods
- GTR2 with Power&Glory mod (thanks to Aris) and F1 79 mod
- Assetto Corsa + CSP + Sol + so many incredible mods
- ACC

I find immersion important in racing games as most do. GTR2 and Legends are classic games but in fairness they can't compete with the big boys of today. As technology, FFB, physics improve the whole experience is leading towards reality. Oh that damn copy protection. Grrr

ACC - definately for what teh developers have achieved in looks and accuracy.
RF2 - For almost everything except multiplayer and graphics. Haha.
Raceroom. - Its such a joy to drive around in. And this is my newest of purchases. Shame on me.

I think AC, ACC is technically superior in every way, but Kunos hit the near perfect balance with that game.
There ae a number of titles i look back fondly which i spent my formative years(GP series and F1C 99-02), but AC basically rekindled my love for simracing which was kinda running on low at the time.

Interesting that there is so much love for GTR 2, But pretty much none for Pcars 1/2. Seems they missed their target market entirely.

It cold just be nostalgia. I am suprised how many mentioned Race 07 even though I did it myself. It was the first real sim I tried after having played Shift 2 for many mintes.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.