Community Question | Best Racing Game of All Time?

How does GT2 model physics?
Does it model all the suspensions correctly? Does it have a strong tyre model?

I hear people always talk of AC mods being off physics wise etc, what does GT2 have under the hood as it were?
All this modern day marketing fluff about 3 stage tire carcass modelling etc etc and individual suspension components modelled etc did it boast all of that but decades ago?
Or is it guess work?
Has anything actually evolved is what i am really asking....
I mean, how can a game that much older be the 'best' still?

Or is it more edgy and cool the say you like really old games?

Our family grew with up with the Atari 2800 ,it had it’s own special controller also for this particular game.

This was the first ever driving game with a first person view(I found that out on wiki).

Kids today are spoilt brats really,growing up with mobile phones and the sims of today.

We had the better music though and sport.

I remember the stand up arcade machines with the steering wheels where you drove a sprite around a track map,the glory days of the pinball machine,used to live on those.

Humbler times,the air was clean,Australia was a beautiful place.

We are on the downward spiral now.

Fallout 4 times coming.........

Keith Richards will have the World to himself.

Old man shouting at cloud :redface:

P.S. putting on The Chequered Flag by Jethro Tull.

I played it on Atari arcade machines. Its a ultra tough game...

TDU2 and most games of the Colin McRae/Dirt series.

ps : seeing the thread participation(already 13 pages!) I think a poll with 10 choices+Other say which would be nice. We need a winner:)

My ten favorites:
- rFactor
- Gran Turismo 5
- Racedriver GRID
- Grand Prix 4
- Outrun 2006
- GTR2 or GT Legends
- NFS Most Wanted (2005)
- Dirt Rally
- NASCAR 2003
- Mario Kart DS

I'm going to get slammed for this but I think NR2003 is still incredibly good.
I played incredible online races on it, during 3 years, and i still have it on my PC, with GTR2 and Automobilista, my favourites.
I dont like Assetto Corsa, and also have Project Cars 2, better graphics but not realistic...
Assetto Corsa competizione has very nice graphics and driving is really better than AC but its not my favourite, i dont like when you cant make your own track yourself :-(

From a sim perspective and considering everything it has to offer for the money, nothing has been or is close to AC, hands down! Having said that, the question is about the "best racing game", which to the author's point, opens it up to your own personal experience :), so I'll say AC has and continues to give me years of a great sim experience. I think I speak for most AC fans, when I say THANK YOU to all the awesome AC content developers!!!! P.S. If you like AC and GT3, you'll love ACC.

This is a bloody difficult question...!

Growing up the original Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 2 were what got me seriously into racing games. I think the thing that's missing from pretty much all titles now is that these were great games. The fact you had to complete really difficult licenses and grind out results so you can scrape together enough money for that turbo you really wanted added a real sense of purpose and feeling of progression. Similar titles these day that try to emulate that model seem to just chuck new cars at you every ten minutes, with no sense of accomplishment. And pretty much all of the sims have zero 'game' features at all to keep you motivated in single player.

Another great memory was Toca Race Driver, what I loved about that was the intertwining story, though maybe if I played it now I wouldn't be so impressed!

Out of the 'proper' sims, I think the one that's had the biggest impact on me is probably iRacing. I don't particularly like the physics and car handling that much, and the FFB isn't great. Also the pricing structure is ridiculous. But what it does do is make the racing feel so much more real. It's so well organised and on the whole people take it pretty seriously (maybe the price structure does have a benefit?). Admittedly I don't really race online in any other sims, but iRacing gives me that sense that each race I enter is important. The iRating and Safety ratings also 'gamify' it, giving you something to aim for and a real sense of progression and improvement.

In terms of pure content, AC wins for me. It has just about everything you could want in a racing sim and is always the one I recommend to newcomers. The mods like SOL and Custom Reshader have breathed new life into it for me. Though for driving feel and FFB, that feeling of truly being 'in' the car, ACC wins... I just wish the VR support was better optimised.

After all that rambling I can't pick a winner. Sorry.

first racing game that had big impact on my was RAC rallye though :) anyone remember this one? I loved the fact that you could drive Skoda Felicia Kit car in it
526.jpg

Thr best racing game.of all time. That's a tough question. It is not the most realistic, not the most technologically advanced. To reduce the scope I would say the game I had more enjoyment with than with any other racing game.

It is still a tough question though.
The first one coming to my mind is GTR2.
Hundreds of tracks, arious weather settings, good AI (always set at 100% and even in modded track AIs generally did realstic times ; no other sim has achieved that, apart the following simbin titles), I really liked the FFB. the UI was and still is the most efficient one ever made. No other sim has made me feel as involved than GTR2.

Second title : F1 challenge. What an amazing title. I still enjoy to race on F1 (original or modded) or on the WSGT mod, although the FFB lacks details, it is impressive to race on this cars and to enjoy a good AI fight.

Third title : toca race driver 3. This game had everything from dirt racing (and monster trucks!!!) to trucks racing, passing from open wheelers, classic cars and GTs. With a career well presented. Toca race driver 2 had a great car selection but the handling was inferior.

4th : need for speed underground 2. Perfect arcade handling allowing to race on highways and on tight streets and turns, and on tracks. This game was amazing, and not any of the next nfs titles matched its quality. Most wanted had an amazing setting and polices chases, so it came tonmy mind too, but the handling is inferior and relies on large streets or highways with less tight turns.

In the modern era :
- project cars 2 with the good VR implementation, the dynamic weather and the car selection,
- I would like to think about assetto corsa but I always feel the game is incomplete because of the lack of weather settings. But the modding community made this title a must have.
- ams2 may become my choice in the future, it is promising.
-I spent more time on raceroom than any of these modern titles. The lack of weather settings is an issue but the track and car selections are good, and the physics and ffb are maybe those I enjoy the most (ams2 feels really good too, there is something natural in the ffb, really promising).

The general population say Assetto Corsa though, this is AC vs RF2 and AMS1 and AMS2, not including ACC, ams2 is not even on this chart because there isnt enough people to warrant it even being a line i guess.

Scratch that F1 2019 has way more then AC, like double, so F1 games have way more people enjoying and playing holy crap

Screenshot_2020-04-16 Comparison - Steam Charts.png

Last edited:
Interesting that there is so much love for GTR 2, But pretty much none for Pcars 1/2. Seems they missed their target market entirely.

And I don't think I have seen a single mention of iRacing....

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.