AC Classic DTM @ Donington GP - Wednesday 3rd June 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Little addition to this:
What you say it completely right, as long as both cars hit the braking point perfectly right.

What you say sounds a bit too strict imo. Like if the car in front is braking too early, you must also brake too early...

So let's add this:

If the car in front is gonna brake 50m too early, outbraking will look like a full on dive bomb but imo isn't one.
So I think this rule needs the addition of:
"you're allowed to make a move that might look like a dive bomb, as long as you can make the corner on the racing line and leave space if the car that was ahead is still next to you".

Basically "you are only allowed to make a move that looks similar to a dive bomb, if the car ahead is taking the corner slower than normally."

I know this leads to hairy situations but I also think it's awesome racing if you're approaching the corner and it's about who will hit the braking point just right.

If course it's absolutely not cool if you park it on the apex with no possibility of taking the corner like one normally does on the racing line.

But it's also great fun if the driver on the inside misses the braking point and you do the switchback of a lifetime, waving at him while he's sliding past the apex :roflmao:
What you say is correct, but you didn't read/understand my post fully I think?
you should have your front wheels level with the lead car's rear wheel at the very least BEFORE you touch the brakes or start to turn in
The important part is "before you touch the brakes".
Rasmus, you're a nice guy and I really like and respect you. You've helped me out a few times and I value your opinion. But please don't open a chink for these guys to stick their foot in the door. Give em an inch and they'll take a mile. If they are on the brakes before they have their fronts overlapping my rears, that constitutes foul play. And that definition came from Bram.

I was not admin last night (thank fek!) so I can do nothing except submit an incident report - which I am in the process of doing - but if people try this nonsense in my events it will not be tolerated, plain and simple.
If somebody brakes to early and you are on a different line, it may be that you get a fair overlap. IF that's the case, you would probably win in a dispute. But lunging from miles back is dangerous and leads to the majority of incidents in our club racing events. So don't do it.

Again a lot of fun last night!:) I had only practiced with the mediums and the hards, so in qually it was my first time on the softs. In my last lap before the chicane I was a few tenths faster then Aki. It would have been great to beat an alien for once but seeing that I became too nervous and I spinned in the chicane:(:cry:. These things always happen to me. I can't keep my head cool at moments that matter. Maybe I should visit a psychiatrist for that.

Anyway, race 1 went well until I overshot my breaking point in Melbourne and was thrown back to 9th. Had some nice battles especially with @karan733 in the Merc. Finished 6th which is Ok because I don't like to have the pole with 4 fast guys behind me . Maybe after some sessions with the shrink....
Race 2 I had a false start:notworthy: and also went off in T1 when @Interslice hit me on the rear. From the replay, I consider it a race incident so it's ok that he didn't wait for me. After the drive through penalty I was last but made it in the end 13th I think, with a lot of nice battles.

Thanks all for racing and @Medilloni for organising.

What you say is correct, but you didn't read/understand my post fully I think?

The important part is "before you touch the brakes".
Rasmus, you're a nice guy and I really like and respect you. You've helped me out a few times and I value your opinion. But please don't open a chink for these guys to stick their foot in the door. Give em an inch and they'll take a mile. If they are on the brakes before they have their fronts overlapping my rears, that constitutes foul play. And that definition came from Bram.

I was not admin last night (thank fek!) so I can do nothing except submit an incident report - which I am in the process of doing - but if people try this nonsense in my events it will not be tolerated, plain and simple.
If somebody brakes to early and you are on a different line, it may be that you get a fair overlap. IF that's the case, you would probably win in a dispute. But lunging from miles back is dangerous and leads to the majority of incidents in our club racing events. So don't do it.
I totally agree and I didn't want to bring up the anger from last night, I'm sorry.
For my non-native English the "before you touch the brakes" sounded more like "before you guys who are both racing touch the brakes".

What some of the drivers did yesterday sounds like some reports should be filed.
I just had the feeling that quite some new drivers were racing last night who are active in the threads and I didn't want them to think that they aren't allowed to try an overtake if they aren't side by side while on throttle.

I'll edit my post though, it wasn't great... You say I'm a nice chap, well you're too and I didn't want to step on your toes :)

If I overtook someone under braking & continued to brake beyond the apex, I would class that as a dive bomb. Adding in caveats about leaving space &/or being on the racing line, for me, would lead to a lot confusion and it would be difficult to address.
Yeah braking beyond the apex is definitely not hitting the braking point.
My statement was only about if the guy in front is braking too early and you're not, it will look like a dive bomb but isn't.

In professional racing this basically never happens but in club races almost everyone brakes too early a dozen times per race hehe.

But anyway, I'll edit my post like I said. I didn't want to start a "pro dive bomb" argument, absolutely not!

Edit: I have the feeling that I'm gonna get some dive bombs from Denis and Patrick the next time I'm racing with you guys :D
Looking forward to be on track with you all :)

Last edited:
@Interslice hit me on the rear. From the replay, I consider it a race incident so it's ok that he didn't wait for me. After the drive through penalty I was last but made it in the end 13th I think, with a lot of nice battles.

Thanks all for racing and @Medilloni for organising.

Sorry that happened han. I had no idea who that was. We were nearly 4 wide into the corner and I tried to go as far outside as i could when you drifted into me. Thought you had enough grip to stay inside me. IRL I would have seen you drifting and lifted off, but in fixed view it was too late. Ye one of those racing incidents i thought. I felt like i had to put the foot down and get out of that spot on the kerb before the next wave came through!
I haven't seen the replay so maybe it was a bit different. Looked like your back tyre hit the corner of my front bumber in game.

Not sure if correct but to my mind it is up to the person on the inside to keep their line on the exit, if they power on early and slide across and hit another car they are always going to struggle not to spin out as the car is already sliding.

Is it possible to copy replay files (stored in the replays folder) from one machine to another? If so would someone be able to zip them up and host them on Dropbox or something so those of us that forgot to save the replay or like in my case had replay settings that only saved half of my last lap could have a look?

Is it possible to copy replay files (stored in the replays folder) from one machine to another? If so would someone be able to zip them up and host them on Dropbox or something so those of us that forgot to save the replay or like in my case had replay settings that only saved half of my last lap could have a look?
Yes that's possible. After chiming into this thread I'd like to have a look too hehe

If you will also allow me the opportunity to say that we are not all perfect for a 100% of the time, we all do something silly. ( if only I had a clear mind for a 100% of the time )
It’s separating that from someone who is being plain silly and wreaking someone’s race.
I hit John last night, it really was a mistake, two drivers doing opposites at the wrong time, I did not even want to overtake.
I have quite often spent most of a race trying to overtake one person, I can even remember who they were. ( there is a lot to be admired by clever defending )
I see that as racing, to me just as important as any part of the racing, John and I especially have those situations, John is always usually quicker than me so it the normal situation that I am defending. ( must try and sabotage his computer again ):roflmao:
I can race with John because I trust him 100%, normally I get so nervous with people I don’t know too well, I really am expecting the nose of their car to be put where there is no chance of a pass. So often I get punted off in this situation usually not always they never stop. 50/50 ( controlling nerves is a real problem for me )
Of late I have been looking at the replays from other drivers point of view, helped me realise the whole world is not out to get me. :roflmao: :roflmao: This is by far what happens to all of us all of the time. ( I am glad to say the outcome is rarely intentional)
This is quite a complex situation to define, there are so many variables, but basically I am saying, I agree with Denis, if you cannot get your front wheel level with his rear wheel, without lunging then it is a fair opportunity. I try and look at helicorse which is right in the middle of the screen, checking if I have room. I am not always of the mind set to do that 100% of the time.
It’s getting so that all i am trying to do is look for free space in a race. @Medilloni i am so sorry about the unintentional tap. It probably ruined your race.:redface:
That’s what we are talking about, ruining people’s race.
Funnily I also hit Erik with the caterhams last week, after spending what seems like a life time of being caught and overtaken or blue flagged by him I just had to overtake, so I can sort of forgive that one.:unsure:
I usually am weighing up situations before overtaking, like if I get past can I open a gap, how difficult is a overtake, should I wait for a mistake ( I know how nervous I get ) , how many laps left, what am I going to gain or loose, where is my best place on the circuit for a opportunity, will the driver have an incentive to go faster when I pass.
The last one is knowing the driver, @Denis Betty is one of my Achilles heels for that one , just know if I pass he is quite likely to find a lot more pace than I have once I am by.:roflmao::roflmao:

Sorry about the waffle too much time on hand at present.:(

PS.
I have this strange idea that the person in front of me earned his place there in qualifying, that I respect, I rarely try an over take until the race is under way.
Why people appear from the back and overtake half a dozen people before the first corner is beyond me. What do they think is going to happen to all those faster drivers, they are just going to re-overtake.? ( now add to that the fact that a load of cars are about to be done before the first corner )

Apologies for missing last night guys. Was driving home from work and had a blow out with no spare tyre so had to wait for recovery (Japanese import cars at it's finest)!

I'll definitely be there for next week :)

I'd echo a lot of what Ernie says - although I'm very new to racing with you guys I've been sim racing a long time (I have a very understanding wife thankfully!)

There were a few people closing the door on me yesterday, which at first I was a bit taken aback by, but then I realised there is a lot of fun in battling for position, which naturally needs a little aggression.

But thats different to knocking someone out and ruining their race, for which rightfully someone should stop and let them back past.

But as we all know there is a very fine line between those two situations!

Just being curious: did you try racing with damage at 100%? In a few races I tried in ACC I noticed that drivers were more cautious because driving with damage cost time and repairs also. Or does it take the fun out of our races?

Just being curious: did you try racing with damage at 100%? In a few races I tried in ACC I noticed that drivers were more cautious because driving with damage cost time and repairs also. Or does it take the fun out of our races?

I was all for this once Han, someone kindly explained there would only be a couple of drivers left after a few laps. 10% is a good deterrent. It can certainly dull the cars performance, if what a little difficult to quantify at times. :)

PS, if it were a league race with points then it makes some sense.

I think the damage percentage is higher in the rfactor 2 club races. I'm not sure about Raceroom - I've only done one race & recieved a black flag :redface: . I vaguely recall reading some negative comments about the driving standards (lots of new faces) @ the time when RD started ACC club events, so I'm guessing the 100% damage was a measure to introduce good driving practices in the absence of more seasoned RD drivers. AC, rf2... club races don't have that problem, so I agree with Ernie.

I was all for this once Han, someone kindly explained there would only be a couple of drivers left after a few laps. 10% is a good deterrent. It can certainly dull the cars performance, if what a little difficult to quantify at times. :)

PS, if it were a league race with points then it makes some sense.
IRacing uses full damage. If you get substantial damage you can press ESC and wait a few minutes for a tow back to the pits then often find you are facing 10 minutes of repairs.

The damage didn't seem to bother a lot of people, they could just race again in another hour or so. I think if we had run 100% damage with the Caterhams on Monday it would have been a case of last man standing wins.

Form my experience the problem with 100% damage in AC is that the damage isn't really nicely implemented...
Most of the times you won't get any damage from little incidents, which kills the "more cautious" effect.
But then in AC you have these kinda weird collision physics so even from very little hits someone is gonna fly into the wall with a quadruple spin.
With 100% damage the car that got the little hit and could continue will have zero damage effects, while the car that flew into the wall will have the race ended.

Which is why over the years, the AC club settled for low damage. Overall it's better to calm down the few too aggressive drivers than have lots of "good drivers" have their races ended by stupid collision physics.

Anyone got some tips for using the replay in AC? I found pressing F2 or F3 puts the driver name at the top whilst it cycles through some preset camera angles, but I was wondering if there was an app to show the driver names with their car number that might help?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back