DiRT Rally 2.0 Check Out These New DiRT Rally 2.0 Preview Images

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
With DiRT Rally 2.0 recently announced, Codemasters thought it the right time to give some love to the new for the series Audi S1 EKS EX quattro and the PSRX VW Polo GTi…

Coming to the DiRT franchise for the first time, the incredibly powerful and mightily impressive Audi S1 EKS EX quattro and the PSRX VW Polo GTi FIA World Rallycross machines are some of the highlight cars of the upcoming DiRT Rally 2.0, and to help celebrate their inclusion and keep that hype train rolling ever onwards, developers Codemasters have revealed some nice new preview images to get all excited about...

Dirt Rally 2 preview 1.jpg

Participating in the 2018 FIA World Rallycross Championship, both cars are some of the most impressive and competitive machinery of the current generation of WRX car, and field some of the finest drivers to grace the championship in recent seasons too...

The Audi S1 EKS EX quattro pictured above is that of former DTM champion and all round motorsport superstar Mattias Ekström and team mate Andreas Bakkerud. Based in Sweden, the team have been one of the more prominent members of recent WRX seasons, not more so than in 2018 where Ekström currently sits second in the standings with just two rounds of the current season remaining.

Dirt Rally 2 Preview 3.jpg

In the VW camp, DiRT Rally 2.0 will feature the equally impressive PSRX VW Polo GTi of none other than former World Rally Champion and all round nice guy Petter Solberg, staring in his own team alongside the very talented Johan Kristoffersson. Solberg, WRC champion of 2003, currently sits in third position in the standings, just behind Ekström and the dominant Johan Kristoffersson at the head of the table.

So far, so good!

DiRT Rally 2.0 will release February 26th 2019.

dirt rally 2 preview 2.jpg

If you want to discussion the game with our passionate community, and read about the latest news, check out the RaceDepartment DiRT Rally 2.0 Sub Forum for a great place to pick up mods, catch the latest news and chat about the game with our community. Give it a go, just keep it DiRTy!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Looking forward to DiRT 2.0? Happy to see further focus on Rallycross content? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
There are so many km's to drive in real rally driving that even if the drivers attempt to memorise the stages, it couldn't possibly be like knowing a race track. That's the problem with rally GAMES, you need a tonne of content. It doesn't matter if you redo the same content but the more you have of it the less you can commit to memory and harness at least some of that real rally feeling.

A stage generator done correctly is a fantastic alternative for a rally game because clearly developers are not going to commit to thousands and thousands of km's of individual track. I keep mentioning V Rally 4 and their random generator. It's a nice take on what are hand crafted stages, with the ability to cross over and intersect with different parts of the entire location. I've not played with it much but from what I have seen I am looking forward to testing it more.

RBR and even Mobil 1 RC had a fantastic selection of long stages, but time's have changed and now it takes a lot more work to create bespoke, long stages.

Having said that, could they not convert the DR1 rallies to the new engine and bulk out the rally content there?

When you rally, you perform recce the day or so before. You and your navigator drive, walk and basically scrutinise the stages together, writing pace notes to identify issues, speeds obtainable and any quirks that might cause an issue when your driving flat out. So, you do, in effect, memorise each stage.
I have been hounding Codie’s for a sequel and am over the moon with the announcement of DR 2.0!
The world is looking good again!

The hesitation on VR does bother me...... If there is interest...? Do they not read about other sims and the complaints about no VR? Seems strange that the original has it and they aren't automatically putting it into 2...

The original had it only after a while, and it was always intended to be a test. If they're reluctant for it now, it probably means that not enough people played Dirt Rally in VR for them to see it as a profitable investment.

Yes,definitely looking forward after the Dirt 4 letdown,a title with some good stuff hidden by the huge amount of bad things here and there.

Hope they do some finetuning on the physics,especially on the weight “side” because on the original Dirt Rally it was a joke. Also it would be nice to see more “complex” stages like the ones in WRC7 or Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo with surface changes and so on. Dirt Rally stages were good and fun to drive but too “linear” and repetitive.

Anyway I don’t mind if Codies can’t give us a proper,complete sim (and I doubt they even think about it...) but as long as they make fun games with good compromise between arcade and sim such as DR or the last titles of F1 series,I’m cool with it. I spent lot of hours on DR,I enjoyed that, I expect a proper following.

Last edited:
New roadbook is out! Mainly focusing on co-driver calls.
http://blog.codemasters.com/community/10/dr20-co-drivercalls/

I particularly like this "Co-drivers aren’t voice actors – so in previous games, when we’d ask them to record some “good luck” lines before a stage started, it sometimes felt a bit stilted. With DiRT Rally 2.0 we’ve actually got our co-drivers introducing the first couple of corners before you start, which feels much more natural – both to the co-driver and you, the driver."

There is also some recorded footage of Phil Mills where you can see some Fiesta R5 action on screen.

From what I've read before and what have been written since DR2 annoucement, I would not like to be in codemasters place : during a few years DR1 was said to be the best rally simulator after RBR and for a few weeks I've been reading comments about how bad and arcadey it is.

The track generator in Dirt4 has been burnt on all forums and now everyone is saying it should have been implemented in DR2. D4 also had better tarmac physics, also introducing flaws at the same time.

Unfortunately I can see why codemasters would not listen anything coming from the community (VR support?).
They try to bring something different, more rallycross content (there wasn't enough in DR) and manies say they are not interested. But when CM launch a new F1 title, they are said to do the same game every year.

I may exagerate a bit but let's face it, there is no way CM should listen to our community.

I like the rallycross focus though

From what I've read before and what have been written since DR2 annoucement, I would not like to be in codemasters place : during a few years DR1 was said to be the best rally simulator after RBR and for a few weeks I've been reading comments about how bad and arcadey it is.

The track generator in Dirt4 has been burnt on all forums and now everyone is saying it should have been implemented in DR2. D4 also had better tarmac physics, also introducing flaws at the same time.

Unfortunately I can see why codemasters would not listen anything coming from the community (VR support?).
They try to bring something different, more rallycross content (there wasn't enough in DR) and manies say they are not interested. But when CM launch a new F1 title, they are said to do the same game every year.

I may exagerate a bit but let's face it, there is no way CM should listen to our community.

I like the rallycross focus though

AMEN roadyroad.

It's kinda understandable why there is a lack of stages, because the quality requirements have bumped up a lot, since RBR times, but...
maybe when they finally switch to new engine, or honestly anyone who's doing rally games nowadays - why not go with Trainz route? Having a fully functional internal editor with huge library of assets, and possibility to import your own assets from Max/Blender/whatever? Also nowadays you can have some assets proceduraly generated, like if you "paint" the terrain with say this kind of grass brush, it would automatically add few types of grass blades, maybe bump up the detail/noise in the terrain model, and so on.
This kinda contradicts my opinion in rf2-related article, about making everything in 3dsmax, but rally stages aren't race tracks either. They aren't staying the same for years, it's not needed to make every inch accurate, because well they are roads which change a lot, especially gravel. And the process of making them through the editor like that would be much easier for everyone. I think people would even buy it if it'd be sold separately from the title, as a dlc of some sort. Both train simulator and trainz have such editors, and both are selling their own dlc routes too, so it's possible to have both.

So just call them differently? How hard can it be? Monza is called Brianza in rFactor as well...
The name is not the problem. Plus CM really don't like getting into these grey areas, unlike some other developers.

The most prevalent opinion regarding the generator has always been "good idea, not a great implementation with too much repetition". So it shouldn't really be a surprise that people would still like it for the variety and unpredictability factor if it worked better and had more tiles.

Last edited:
The problem with the generated stages was that they were awfully bland and boring, especially compared to the finely handcrafted and superbly detailed stages in Dirt Rally, and that the amount of "tiles" of which the stages consisted was so low that you'd be driving the same few corners over and over. So yeah, good idea but poor execution. If Codies could improve the stage generator so it would make actually decent stages, then it could be a great feature. Also stage generator is not mutually exclusive with handcrafted real world stages, game should have both.

I thought it was obvious to everyone by now that Codies are in it manly for the $$$ ;)

If they were serious they would make a really good game and improve on that and releasing DLC's.

Just like the serious companies like Kunos !

I mean, isn’t everybody in this for the money? ISI, Kunos and Reiza included?

I don’t think we would be seeing Assetto Corsa Competizione, Reiza 2019 and rFactor 2 if the original titles didn’t make money.

I just still wonder how is a pure rally simulator, something to put you on the skin of rally drivers, Is just pathetic that when you search for the best sim for rally the result is a 14 years old game (RBR). Please I never had the opportunity to play that I want something better than that!!, we have computers hundreds times more powerful WTF is going on!?? :mad::mad:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.