Caterham Roadster 500

Cars Caterham Roadster 500 1.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
Ben O'Bro updated Caterham Roadster 500 with a new update entry:

Aero & physics

• engine LUT less powerful, but matching R500 engine (previous was closer to a 620r)
  • street tyres added (not really useful !)
  • AERO redone
  • windshield option in setup under [Generic]
    View attachment 267687
  • Lights !! and brake light. And dashboard for night mod.
    View attachment 267686
  • one setup included, more tame animal
  • still understeery! That's how it is, get over it ;)
  • few more skins
have fun ;)...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Not much to report thus far except this...

bo_caterham_roadster500_2-9-2018.jpg

The shifter use paddle instead of h shifter, need to change =0 to =1
The brake light does not work properly when lights are on, very easy to check in CM showroom and in game.
The mirror image is reverse, left is right, need to use flip=1
A review is usually were we put the good and not so good, at least that is what I expect from a review.
99% of RD reviews are useless.
The errors I found, in an otherwise excellent 3D model and physic, are so basic, made me wonder if the car was ever driven in game before released.

The shifter use paddle instead of h shifter, need to change =0 to =1
The brake light does not work properly when lights are on, very easy to check in CM showroom and in game.
The mirror image is reverse, left is right, need to use flip=1
A review is usually were we put the good and not so good, at least that is what I expect from a review.
99% of RD reviews are useless.
The errors I found, in an otherwise excellent 3D model and physic, are so basic, made me wonder if the car was ever driven in game before released.

i'm usually impatient towards the end and perform a very quick test run before release, hence the often mistakes :) (physics we test longer... but visual details, not so much)
mirror was wrong mapping in 3dsmax, not sure there is a simple 1 or 0 in ini files, it's fixed now
Brake lights is just weak, but working properly,
[BRAKE_0]​
NAME=RACE_brakes_lights
COLOR=100,10,5
OFF_COLOR=20,1,1

i made it 4 times stronger for next update (not as above picture ^^) so it's more visible
And gearbox is correct, it's a sequential 6 gears, not a H
don't get me wrong, i do appreciate the feedback, it allows me to make things greater

Not much to report thus far except this...

bo_caterham_roadster500_2-9-2018.jpg
Yeah I saw but this more of a quick "free for all" variant for now.

As far as shifter goes, I prefer H shifter so I set it to H shifter but this is more for Ben what he likes and prefers the semiautomatic gearbox. The rest of the changes he rolled back from mine are mostly setup options adjustable.

The lights it's hard to tell without racing with others, which I did yesterday and yes the lights are weak, notified Ben and he's updating it so it shines more as he knows what light is what, what texture there is and how much light works for that texture. The lights are kind of funky in AC and depend on your own graphical settings of which I use almost none default. Plus many people probably already run the dynamic lights shaders, I don't yet.

All in all it's a fictional variant and it gets updates when they are ready from other models. Sometimes even sooner than them because it takes a few hours to update this variant quickly but days to go over all the parameters on other variants to make sure it's all copied and set right.

Another I'm adding to all my physics is low RPM stalling, it does not work 100% properly in AC but it does make you stop or damn crawl slow when at low RPMs and it doesn't behave like an electric car with torque from 0 rpm as do all Kunos cars. Maybe the sounds can be updated when sounds are made so that the engine makes stalling sounds say below 75% of idle engine speed. Right now I don't know any sound in AC that has this. For redline modern/electronically controlled engines tend to have a softcut and hardcut, on this one softcut is 8500rpm and hardcut 8550 or 8600rpm depending on what value Ben liked.

Differential setting should get open to edit in setup menu so all tastes of aggressive and casual are satisfied.

The SM tyres are provisional, I've redone the whole aero last month, tyres kind of come last to make.

There is a LAC server with this mod running, feel free to join. I've answered questions there yesterday.

i'm usually impatient towards the end and perform a very quick test run before release, hence the often mistakes :) (physics we test longer... but visual details, not so much)
mirror was wrong mapping in 3dsmax, not sure there is a simple 1 or 0 in ini files, it's fixed now
Brake lights is just weak, but working properly,
[BRAKE_0]​
NAME=RACE_brakes_lights
COLOR=100,10,5
OFF_COLOR=20,1,1

i made it 4 times stronger for next update (not as above picture ^^) so it's more visible
And gearbox is correct, it's a sequential 6 gears, not a H
don't get me wrong, i do appreciate the feedback, it allows me to make things greater

Using real mirror, you can add flip=1 in the C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\extension\real_mirrors/ you car.ini and it will reverse it
The car has a shift.ksanim, showing the left hand shifting manually, if you intend that car to be shifted with paddles, you might want to change the animation for shift_up.ksanim and shift_dw.ksanim. Or do you mean that it is sequential but using sequential floor manual gear shift, not paddles, as there are no paddles behind the wheel.

If you take you car in CM showroom and activate the "car params" tab. it is very easy to check the lights and animations as they appear in game. if you change the brake 0 for this
[BRAKE_0]
NAME=RACE_brakes_lights
COLOR=250,1,1
OFF_COLOR=20,1,1 then the brake light is red instead of yellow.

I will be glad to test them for you if you like, specially as I drive in VR, when animation and cockpit details are very important.;)
Thank you for this cars and the others, those Catheram are a blast to drive in AC as I am sure they are IRL.
will wait for the update to try drive it again.:)

Last edited:
There is a LAC server with this mod running, feel free to join. I've answered questions there yesterday
Great driving with you, and the other cool guys on there mate.... You're very quick, was awesome fun!
Even with the (in my opinion) extremely minor fixes that can be made...
This is an absolute blast to drive! What a superb canyon car!

Using real mirror, you can add flip=1 in the C:\Users\xxxx\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\extension\real_mirrors/ you car.ini and it will reverse it
The car has a shift.ksanim, showing the left hand shifting manually, if you intend that car to be shifted with paddles, you might want to change the animation for shift_up.ksanim and shift_dw.ksanim. Or do you mean that it is sequential but using sequential floor manual gear shift, not paddles, as there are no paddles behind the wheel.

If you take you car in CM showroom and activate the "car params" tab. it is very easy to check the lights and animations as they appear in game. if you change the brake 0 for this
[BRAKE_0]
NAME=RACE_brakes_lights
COLOR=250,1,1
OFF_COLOR=20,1,1 then the brake light is red instead of yellow.

I will be glad to test them for you if you like, specially as I drive in VR, when animation and cockpit details are very important.;)
Thank you for this cars and the others, those Catheram are a blast to drive in AC as I am sure they are IRL.
will wait for the update to try drive it again.:)

like Jack said, and as written, it's not a proper R500 but a fictional version of the car, that was meant for fun, and as such i will take liberties not to spend more time on it, like animation for the shifting.
It should actually be sequential on stick like the race r300, but since very few people have a stick allocated to just that, the palets are just good enough. With the speed you get, you shouldn't have time to look at the missing animation of your hands ;)

all fixed:
  • diff option added in setup.ini
  • tyre texture flipped fixed
  • mirror flipped fixed
  • brake light increased (a lot) + mesh LED increased lodA & lodB
  • maybe IA shifting up could be increased a bit in RPM
http://benobro.org/sub/bo_caterham_roadster500_1.21b.7z (data open)

Last edited:
There is update incoming where I've rolled back some unnecessary changes (important part of aero etc.) but kept Ben's easier to drive default setup. Gearbox is now proper sequential with it's gears as it should have for R500 seq. variant I've also added the animation file back and it seemed to work fine for me the driver was shifting up/down correctly. These are not paddles, it's a classic ground shifter up/down.

Ben's adding some extras for shaders.

There is a v1.3 setup there but it's just a quick change to the LAC setup I clicked quickly while driving online they other day. It has 1 way diff with locking on power and it will bite your ass if you're not careful. The diff is open in setup menu so play with it and other settings to get the handling you want.

There are some notes in readme changelog.

But you gotta wait for 1700 update as again I spent the day updating roadster instead :)

Now car is very low with the provisional suspension and brakes need to be set to 61%+. This due to hub weight update. I was wondering why on earth the old one has so low brake balance.

I've updated my setup quickly so it works better with this low height etc.

See attached file if you want to try the aggressive 1 way differential. Camber is reduced so it doesn't lock front tyres so much, as right now when the car is so low front camber goes too high on braking.

Ben also asked and someone else will sooner or later, why is this update faster? Because the aero is now relatively correctly without missing parts, lower lift and lower drag a lot lower drag, plus gears are closer together and engine stays in high RPMs more, making you shift more/faster. The drag is probably to be a little higher and I will update it later when it comes to it, right now the whole windshield area is removed as if there is no driver causing drag.

Well after crashing many times on bumpy PCH I switched to LAC and the roadster didn't seem to need extra height beyond what is now uploaded. Keep the car high in setup menu options for now.

Even doing LAC is bloody suicidal, who wants to have a go below is a link to a CM preset, I've reduced the AI to 90% aggressiveness because they kept crashing from rear at 100% a bit too much.
https://acstuff.ru/s/9MeK
Goal is to finish and get away from "cops" (phoenix's cop skin for mustang and corvette). Some cars may retire as the AI is maxed out and they may crash and burn.

15:51 let me know what camera view do you want I will upload it to YouTube (there seems to be no track cam yet on LAC, at least I don't have them). Still don't know LAC though, scratched a rail once or twice luckily no damage to suspension unlike many crashes before (>_<) Had even closer battles with the AI in supercars but always wrecked somewhere. When the fast section starts I can't hold them anymore as their tyres are heat up, great earo and tons of power. Up to 200km/h fine, past that, no chance.
Those supercars keep baiting me to go faster when they get behind me and then in front.
Setup attached, set brakes either in setup back to 100% or set outside AC to 85% or step on it less.
It will slide in 3rd-4th gear under power even, not for faint of heart pushing it on limit. It will steer on power you just have to get it right so it's not too much in some corners.
The aero helps ==> it goes faster. SM tyres seem OK now with pressures and temperatures.

Attachments

• TAA_62b85p_v1.3.ini
    1.1 KB · Views: 194
  • TAA_60b80p_v1.3_C.ini
    1.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks