Caterham Roadster 500

Cars Caterham Roadster 500 1.3

Login or Register an account to download this content

Ben O'Bro

Premium
Ben O'Bro submitted a new resource:

Caterham Roadster 500 - R500 engine, 500kg++, deadly rocket

Fictional roadster, based on the lightweight R500.
Rather open setup, semis, sequential 6 gears and too many ponies **
RIP.
View attachment 246410
View attachment 246414 View attachment 246415 View attachment 246413 View attachment 246411 View attachment 246412 Few colorful skins*

Also available :
Caterham 165 - http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-seven-165-2013.17002/
SuperSprint 1995 -...

Read more about this resource...

Great fun! Reminds me of the LX8 Dauntless was working on a few years ago. The default tyre pressure seems pretty high for a light car on SM's compared to Kunos cars. What is the opt pressure?
Thanks for this little beast :)

It's got awesome chassis underneath, but the front aero lift ruins the party big time:cry::(
Every corner at seed 60mph or more is just one big understeer galore:poop: no setup changes can't fix it.
I even have to lift the throttle at some corners where any other car can go flat out easily.
I refuse to believe that it has such excessive front end lift in RL

It's got awesome chassis underneath, but the front aero lift ruins the party big time:cry::(
Every corner at seed 60mph or more is just one big understeer galore:poop: no setup changes can't fix it.
I even have to lift the throttle at some corners where any other car can go flat out easily.
I refuse to believe that it has such excessive front end lift in RL
well that car has zero aero :D
no wing no nothing, even worse than actual R500
So i imagine the handling would be challenging.
The aero here is taken from the work @JackCY did on the 1700, reading and making nasa maths to find coefficients to put in AC (i'm not even joking here)
It also has so much power to weight ratio that i would surely be scared to push the car to the limits in reality.
Although i never drove such machine, the handling isn't incoherent to me. And it's not a car you simply drive full throttle all the time to get best times.
If anyone drove something similar (which is a fun question considering the model doesn't really exist) i'm open to feedback:geek:

Great fun! Reminds me of the LX8 Dauntless was working on a few years ago. The default tyre pressure seems pretty high for a light car on SM's compared to Kunos cars. What is the opt pressure?
Thanks for this little beast :)
33 i think at temperature

Did some testing at the Ring, didn't get very far, that's why my video is only 1 minute long.
Feels fine at the low speed stuff, 2/3 gear corners, faster then that and the front just lift off and it's hopeless:( I am gonna buy Automobilista, just to try the Cat, you guys are crushing my dreams, Caterhams are one of my favorite cars in RL, and I just refuse to believe that front aero lift is this bad:cry:

Yes, great car. It's not meant to be driven in high speeds though. Playing on Nurburgring makes you want to cry. The front of the car lifts on any bump which makes it impossible to turn to any direction. On that first long straight part of Nurburgring, when I reached the top of the hill, in high speed, the car almost did a "back-flip". The sound, look and physics (while in low speed) are very good. This is a car you want to drive more than one time. Please do something about it. This is a great job that only needs a little touch to become perfect.
Thanks a lot for it.

Maybe there is hope:)

I know, it's already work in progress to be fixed even for the 1700. Nico reused the older values for this quick roadster project. There are no references for angles and Kunos avoids using them in most cases with aero lift so some of their cars are kind of "meh" when it comes to aero both for driving and when you check the values and see bunch of stuff missing explaining then why they drive so odd. Caterham has angles for lift and they may be a little too aggressive with the lift, it's a quick fix but needs testing and driving and I haven't had time for AC much.(c)v1m30

how can you compare a karting / open wheeler, and porsche all nicely profiled and spoiler equipped XD

they regulated few areas because even GT3 were flying off

besides, we already corrected few things physics wise
aero is also to be adjusted by nasa jack, but it's a hell of a job to do, so that's for later
In the meantime i'm leaving 10 days for holidays, so no update till then.

But yes, a 1.1 is planned ;)

I just drove it on the Nordschleife and, this car likes to play with you, to say the least :) I managed a 7:55.152 (whole loop, without the GP track ofc), I went in the grass (only ^^) twice though due to the known understeer. But overall, it's a really nice car that would do for some akward, wiggly races online :)

Did some testing at the Ring, didn't get very far, that's why my video is only 1 minute long.
Feels fine at the low speed stuff, 2/3 gear corners, faster then that and the front just lift off and it's hopeless:( I am gonna buy Automobilista, just to try the Cat, you guys are crushing my dreams, Caterhams are one of my favorite cars in RL, and I just refuse to believe that front aero lift is this bad:cry:
I know about the jump lift, I've been fixing it on 1700 but it's not in public data yet. There is no reference for some things and right now the dependency lift vs angle is too high, which is noticeable on 1700 but becomes more of a problem once you put 281bhp engine in it and that's what this quicker R500 roadster inspired mod has. I've sent some quick patches to Ben, I didn't have much time to check it out, it was a quick thing overall I didn't know about it until last week or so before publishing. You would have to ask Ben, something about DPR wanting a clean view model to help them setup their gaming rig or something so Ben made a free for all variant out of it.

The rear DWB is not bad, I only drove it with Nico's setup that Ben sent me with the files so I hope he gave you that too in the download as otherwise the car on default settings is probably not very good. Most settings are open though.

It will get updated later although as far as I am concerned this roadster will remain more of a free for all so what Ben wants it will have as such it will not be a realistic R500 and it is not right now either. For other Cats we did not get anything from DPR yet data wise as such they are rather stalled and I will probably set a deadline for that, sadly it is a lot of work to redo if they do send data later on.

The default with Nico's set was quite murderous but easily fixed: brakes, toe, diff, and using ST tyres not SM.

I know this video Kristaps, have it saved, I will try compare the aero lift vs angle when tuning with videos. The static values are fine but angle dependency is lets say aero wing like. When you jump the angle goes high and gives too much lift to a point where with this powerful engine it goes fast enough to flip around. There is no reference lift vs angle for cars that I could find, neither do AC official cars always have lift vs angle defined at all so one can't really use existing official cars as reference either, there is nothing consistent in that regard.

Well even with no angle dependence it will almost flip if you go flat out. Speed and how much throttle you keep during the jump plays a major role than any aero since rear stays on ground if you floor it through then you essentially power the rear under you and it's the rear grip and power that is making you flip. I tried it now a few times, if I lift off during jump the car doesn't go anywhere near crazy in the air. I will have to eventually calculate the speed he's doing in the video if he's going full throttle no idea I don't do that with many cars in AC over this jump as it will ruin your steering, line and braking ability.

Even making rear lift more with angle than front would have to be crazy imbalanced for it to have an effect.

The aero is still work in progress and will get updated on all the Cats.

The data we're using are from this Cat standing in a wind tunnel:

P9u3Cuc.png

As usual this doesn't seem to be a quick and easy fix. Even the comments in the source for the data literally say: interesting result and quite disturbing. And that's exactly how it drives and also seems to be in line with other less precise source from CSR variant. The front to rear lift balance though cannot be verified from a 2nd source and may be "faulty"/not correct.

The Kamil's Academy Cat, I think it was Kamil, had even higher front lift balance but it's total lift was low so one didn't notice it as much, with these more realistic lift values this high very high front lift balance is what makes it want to flip over and also lose so much front grip overall compared to the value being better spread out front to rear.

Some flipping may also be from suspension but I find it quite unlikely, it's more likely the car is still a bit murderous due to some polish needed on the rear suspension, but for a quickly done thing it's usable.

The front-rear lift balance will have to change most likely and quite a bit of testing be done with any reference possible. Does DPR have any aero data, no idea but it would certainly be of big help.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back