Caterham 420R / R300 racecars

Cars Caterham 420R / R300 racecars 1.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
SCALE and STEER inside of AC's controller settings.

The 420R I have has 372*2 deg of lock, which should be well under even 900deg. You will reach the limits of the steering lock before you reach the limits of your actual wheel's lock.

Some old sims would scale the steering of the car to your 1080deg, but AC has always scaled it linearly and correctly for me. Check that STEER is 1080 and SCALE is 1 in AC's controller settings. It should then cut off steering after you reach 372 to the side.

Do you still see the in-game wheels turn when you steer past 372 to the side? If so, something is wrong. It shouldn't be using the full rotation of your wheel, but to me it sounds like it is.
Ta mate, I will have a look at that setting and let you know if it deviates from what you have laid out here. Cheers, AussieStig

Hi. Can you help me with templates? i'm trying to remove the base logos (avon, etc..) How can i clean the car? thanks
There's a DDS for the name+numbers
And a DDS for all the stickers Avon etc.
Make them both empty and transparent and voila
Check the existing skin folders to find the correct names :)

Ps: it doesn't work for the Academy as I forgot a transparency option on the model, it's meant to be fixed later :)

There's a DDS for the name+numbers
And a DDS for all the stickers Avon etc.
Make them both empty and transparent and voila
Check the existing skin folders to find the correct names :)

Ps: it doesn't work for the Academy as I forgot a transparency option on the model, it's meant to be fixed later :)
Thank you very much. I was deleting the files but nothing happened, now i'm gonna try that ;) I only need it for the 420R ;)

That's good, then. Although they both have the same issues; I suppose the cars are interchangeable.

I understand the annoyance with the CSP thing, but I just made a distinction not to support vanilla myself anymore. But I don't make "league cars" either. It'll be a more difficult choice for you guys, having to cater to a specific audience. If they truly want accuracy, CSP would be the way to go. It'd introduce some tire heat management into the game too, making this a bit more interesting, not just more realistic.

Tell him to at least use load and camber curves for the tires. Those are vanilla compliant, not CSP features. It will be as important as using good heat. Trying to make something work with KS stuff is not helpful. These cars are quite light so they will suffer badly from bad load curves especially.

Ideal would be to get accustomed with cphys and take the leap. Otherwise the car might be developed in an inaccurate direction just by necessity.
Which load curve/parameter for a tyre? Camber curves you mean different DCAMBER or replace it with a LUT?

Cphys as in CustomShadersPatch? Documentation of the physics features (probably just Trello still?) and their availability without forcing introduction of an entire juggernaut of a code to the game? (it causes problems, so it would be great to be able to enhance the physics without forced use of graphics features and CPU load/threads for that) Or where can I go and add the features I need/want? Verify (in code) that the physics features enabled by CSP extensions are working as intended? Ability to fix bugs and performance issues is a big one too.

I do checkCSP/physics_extensions from time to time but often the progress is done on graphics.

For SM tyres I have an adjusted tyre heat that I use a while now. What does CSP add heat wise?

What CSP physics extensions would you recommend to be used?

I know for DWB there is the EX 2 or what's it called but no one I talked to could actually explain how the different code path works, what the changes are specifically or how one can verify that it's better than the vanilla and how. Sure it "feels" better but that's about it. I want the details ;)

Only the front on Cats is DWB so the torque application from fake engine doesn't matter, which as far as I'm aware is what this different code path was supposed to improve, application of engine torque. (aka anti features) *cough KS R35 pulling it's wheels under the belly*

Is there a CSP/Cphys code say on github I can peruse and modify to add a DeDion, the setup menu options for it, etc.? I think CM is on github though I still did not go and debug it but may really need to as the bugginess of it is getting quite out of hand with latest versions.

I'm usually on caterhamracer.com discord, so if anyone has suggestions, questions, data, comments, feel free to bug me there :) Rarely on RD but if you message me I should get it.

Go on CSP Discord and ask. Trello is not up to date.

You need to use load and camber curves because the KS method doesn't get even remotely close to real ones.

Cphys also adds heat that works. The vanilla heat doesn't really follow laws of thermodynamics and is missing the real surface layer, so mid-corner and exit balance is usually very off due to lack of surface heating.

Cphys also adds a more correct SAT curve and also slipcurves which can be split up and are more correct, in addition to fixing some bad implementations in some parameters. Like you can't use any RR_SLIP_GAIN in vanilla because the implementation is just bad; and KS values are typically 10x too big anyway. There's a bunch of small stuff like that.

Thanks for this wonderfull mod!Any way to speed up AI on straights on R300?
I didnt notice on other top mods that AI on straight parts is so slow compared to corners.Thanks!
After switching to Direct drive base I can feel how good this car is to drive on my old G27 not so hahaha its epic!

Last edited:
Hi
My windows corrupted so I had to start afresh and download AC tracks etc again. When I have I only seem to have standard ‘gamer’ ‘intermediate’ and ‘pro’ settings (abs, stability control etc), but I think it defaulted to a ‘custom’ set up.
Can anyone tell me what custom settings are? I’m 2 seconds off previous best lap time on ‘pro’ or ‘intermediate’ settings so far so something is different.
Thanks
Glenn
Ps awesome mod - love it

I got into AC very recently, cause Im running a real Caterham r400 on the track and I wanted to prepare some race tracks I havent been to with the help of AC. Im very grateful to find your r300 and r420 mods, and I ran them for a day now. Im still very much a rookie at AC, but I know track settings and real car physics very well and compared to that, I have significantly more understeer into corners AND significantly more oversteer from corner exits. anyway, thanks for the car mod, Ill gather more experience. :)

You can pay to have a go in one - usually silverstone - where they set up cones etc. I am fairly sure that they make it easy for the punters by slinging thinner than normal rear tyres on. The pro guy running the setup is pretty good at slinging the car around the circuit donnuts and all.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.