Car Pictures

1956 Chrysler Norseman, first fully cantilevered roof, crush resistant windshield, 330ci 235hp V8 with a two-speed push-button PowerFlite automatic transmission; the rear window could retract into the roof. Designed by Chrysler, Pininfarina, and Ghia, under the eye of Virgil Exner, and built by Ghia. Total cost $150,000 (1956 dollars).
few-photos-of-the-norseman-were-taken-before-the-car-was-crated-up-for-shipment-these-views-sh...jpg

image_jpg(1).jpg

Few photos of the car exist since Ghia assumed it would get its share of film once on display in the US. Unfortunately that trip was aboard the Andrea Doria, which collided with another liner and sank in 160ft of water southeast of Massachusetts.

Many cars were aboard, stored in a general cargo hold, however,
"..the Norseman was no passenger vehicle and was specially packed and treated with extra care. The Norseman was put into a wooden crate and placed in the number 2 cargo area."
A professional diver examining the wreck in 1994 saw the car,
"The crate had disintegrated and the car was in very, very poor condition. The ocean's salt water invaded the Norseman's metal and most of the car is rust, corrosion and a heap of indistinguishable junk. The tires are still there and have assisted to [sic] its identification."

So little is known of the car that its color is even debated. Chrysler records state a two tone metallic green, Exner wanted overall silver, a surviving design sketch disagrees with both-
an-original-design-sketch-shows-the-norseman-in-its-likely-color-combination_jpg.jpg

The FIRST--as in VIN #1!--1955 Chrysler 300 prior to competing at Daytona. 300 being the advertised horsepower from a first generation Hemi engine. The car still exists and will be unveiled at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Chicago the weekend of November 19-20, 2022.
20221104_185929.jpg

Last edited:
1972 McLaren M8F, 454 Chevy bored to around 500ci (varied with model), near 1000hp in '72; in vintage races today detuned to 750-800hp. (I drove an earlier M8 - rear wing on struts and equal length intake stacks - at Mid-Ohio ca. '94.)

1972-mclaren-m8f_2.jpg

1972-mclaren-m8f_1.jpg

And to these old ears modern high-revving engines can't hold a candle to the sound of a big block V8-

Volvo PV544

Volvo_544.jpg

I always liked these cars, reminded me of old late '40's Chevys, just smaller. I bought one, a '65, in late '77, for a mere $150; beautiful condition, dark burgundy body with black fenders ...no engine, gearbox, or driveshaft (the previous owner having bought it just to get a replacement engine for his speedboat). It sat, wrapped in a car cover, in my back yard for a couple of years (too many cars, too little time) til a serendipitous moment while looking for parts for my '55 Chevy ...I saw a thoroughly trashed TR8 in the junkyard ....?!

Six months later (thanks to a local sport car shop with a bit of ingenuity) this little Volvo had a 3.5L 140hp aluminum V8 with 5-spd gearbox, custom made driveshaft, Bilstein shocks, nice steel wheels, Michelin tires, Alpine stereo, Recaro seats, air conditioning, and my company logo on the doors. Handling was surprising, the aluminum V8 was little heavier than the cast iron four banger it replaced; had to "hinge" the steering column with a u-joint and move the battery to the trunk, a somewhat larger radiator sitting forward of the original, and added an oil cooler; the only visible signs it wasn't a stock Volvo were the wheels and sidepipes. Fun to drive around town or cruise at 70mph on the highway, it racked up many miles all over the SE US. Then I moved 60 miles away and had no where to keep my cars, so all found good homes; the Volvo going to the shop that did the work, they replaced my logo with theirs and the last i saw the car, around 1990, it was still going strong. (Sadly nearly all my photos from '60's-'90's were lost to a flooded basement twenty years ago, so all that remains are the memories.)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back