Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

I see that several people here have moved onto the DIY SFX-100 platform.
That's awesome, and mechanically it looks fantastic...can't beat DIY!!!

I'd be all-in for building one myself, but one question.
Am I reading this correctly.....it currently only supports these 10 titles????
https://opensfx.com/supported-games-and-instructions/

Please tell me otherwise, as I'd have a difficult time going from the roughly 125 supported titles on the x-simulator platform down to only those 10.
https://www.xsimulator.net/community/marketplace/categories/game-plugins.2/?order=download_count

I'm thinking that a mix of the two, the SFX-100's overall design, but using x-simulator's SimTools as the software to drive it may be an ideal solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies chaps, very pleased to hear it sounds more than doable in my home situation, more thinking, saving and wife pestering to be doing in the coming weeks me thinks.. :D

Quite a few NLMv3s are being sold here on RD as some users (myself included) are moving to the D-box style SFX100 (which you might want to consider, especially with your P1). It's cheaper too.

a lot of us that have moved on to the SFX-100 full motion build!

Oh FFS! Now you got me all excited again. Damn it, this looks fantastic.. I need to think long and hard about this, and do some research. Looks great, just very, very put off by my severe lack of DIY skills.. but, if I want something epic at a price point I can afford, then maybe its time to push past the comfort zone and see what happens...

Thanks again chaps, will continue to enjoy reading this thread and see how everyone gets on with their epic rig builds !

Upvote 0
You won't have a better resource to help you through an SFX-100 build, or anything else for that matter, than right here in your very own forums.

You'll wonder what all the fuss was about once you've completed your build and no doubt have dealt out a lot of :thumbsup:'s and :inlove:'s along the way.

Our community is awesome.

Upvote 0
@Paul: start your journey with this ;)

bos rozen.jpg

====
Dirt Rally 2.0 with the NLRv3 is so much fun. What a bumpy ride

Upvote 0
@Paul Jeffrey I loved my NLMv3, it's a fantastic compact solution for motion effects. The SFX100 is a step up again though, even though its surge effect under braking and acceleration isn't quite as effective as the NLMv3 (although a passive harness might remedy that - I'll know soon). The feeling of the whole chassis moving beneath you (as opposed to just the seat in the NLMv3) is incredible. You really do feel like you're supported by a 4-point suspension system like a real car... because you actually are. The SFX100 will cost £1,500 but you have to source parts and build it yourself (although support here is excellent), and a used NLMv3 will cost you around the same but is very much plug 'n' play. You'll be effectively getting a DBox equivalent for 10% of the price of a real Dbox though, so it's a bit of a no brainer.
I just finished my SFX100 a couple of days ago and have it in my sim room upstairs. It's noisy through the floor, but so was the NLMv3. I've got an issue with a whistling servo driver at the moment but hope to have that resolved soon.
The old NLMv3:
ij1x4YP.jpg

The new SFX100
T2JvIgy.jpg

I'd recommend the SFX100 over the NLMv3 to anyone who's happy taking the build on. It really isn't difficult for anyone who's done any DIY. I think most users agree it's a much better, more capable product.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the picture!
Those look like servo control units. I was under the impression that they required large power supplies as well. Was I mistaken?

FYI, just because I'm an electrical engineer and can be pretty anal about my own wiring, I don't throw stones! Especially when someone is being gracious enough to show me what I asked for!

Upvote 0
Mate that's perfect. Meets the 'Anton seal of approval', anyway.

Whatever that's worth.....

Mine is super similar. Does the job and you barely notice it under the Simucube power box.
THE most important thing is access. I can lift all of the drivers out on a board if i need to get to them, and the circuit board is on the TOP of the lid. The whole thing fits neatly into the cube shelf next to my rig (you can see it in the photos above) so slides in and out easily and the lid pops off. I might even cut the 'hidden' side of the box away completely for even easier access.
I fear for some of the ultra-compact solutions that people have, access looks like a nightmare.

Upvote 0
Nope, just a power lead to the mains supply. Mine are plugged into a six-gang surge protected extension lead.

Wow! That is a LOT more compact than I was expecting!!!!!
Have you measured to see what kind of power you are pulling ?
Or is it just a matter of being happy as long as the circuit breaker isn't tripping?

Would it be hard to have the motors go to their highest position, then drop down some casters and then have the motors lower the chassis and pull the feet off the ground? If so it shouldn't be hard to add some serious casters that are either detachable or drop into place.

BTW I agree about ease of access. If something can't be easily serviced it can be a nightmare later on. I like to build everything with the idea I can get to anything and change anything at a moment's notice. Ideally I would like to be able to dismantle it all into it's component parts and reuse everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow! That is a LOT more compact than I was expecting!!!!!
Have you measured to see what kind of power you are pulling ?
Or is it just a matter of being happy as long as the circuit breaker isn't tripping?
The actual power draw is quite low. Each servo is 750 watts (or thereabouts) so all four are like a 3kw electric fire at peak, but in reality that never happens, even on startup. Someone posted actual figures in the SFX thread and it was a fraction of that under normal use. My SFX100, Yamaha 5.1 amp, 50" TV, CSWv2.5 and other sim gear was all running without sweat on one 13amp extension lead from a single wall socket.

Upvote 0
That's correct, but there are plenty of SFX100 users in the US. I think they add a transformer?

120V x 20A turns into 240V x 10A assuming 0 loss.
Twice the voltage = half the current.
I would probably only see ~3% loss of power with a step up transformer.

The most power this could draw would be a bit over 2000W, if my steering wheel, computer, and 75" TV were drawing nothing. I need to measure the power I'm currently pulling to see what I have left and verify that I am running all the outlets off of one 20A breaker.

Upvote 0
@Paul Jeffrey I loved my NLMv3, it's a fantastic compact solution for motion effects. The SFX100 is a step up again though, even though its surge effect under braking and acceleration isn't quite as effective as the NLMv3 (although a passive harness might remedy that - I'll know soon). The feeling of the whole chassis moving beneath you (as opposed to just the seat in the NLMv3) is incredible. You really do feel like you're supported by a 4-point suspension system like a real car... because you actually are. The SFX100 will cost £1,500 but you have to source parts and build it yourself (although support here is excellent), and a used NLMv3 will cost you around the same but is very much plug 'n' play. You'll be effectively getting a DBox equivalent for 10% of the price of a real Dbox though, so it's a bit of a no brainer.
I just finished my SFX100 a couple of days ago and have it in my sim room upstairs. It's noisy through the floor, but so was the NLMv3. I've got an issue with a whistling servo driver at the moment but hope to have that resolved soon.
The old NLMv3:
ij1x4YP.jpg

The new SFX100
T2JvIgy.jpg

I'd recommend the SFX100 over the NLMv3 to anyone who's happy taking the build on. It really isn't difficult for anyone who's done any DIY. I think most users agree it's a much better, more capable product.

Loving this and want to try to have a go myself.
Have you got a link to your rig? I only have a playseat, but this is far better (and necessary for motion).
Did you need a 3d printer too?
It might be an idea starting a new thread re this, so not to derail this one too much, as I have MANY questions.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hope this is the right place to mention I'm looking to sell my NLRV3.
I'm in UK and have just sent it back to Next Level for a minor repair to usb socket. When it returns I'll be leaving it in the box ready to ship.
I've had many hours of enjoyment from this unit but my house is up for sale(there's actually a photo of my simrig on property website) and new home won't have a spare room .
Also tbh I'm more into flight sims and although it has great support for DCS, x plane & Aerofly I think this unit is really at its best in racing titles.
I play a lot of elite dangerous and often used the joystick mode which was kinda fun.
Anyway hope there's a good home to be found.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea