Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

I have plugged it in, downloaded the software and run diagnostics.The base levels out perfectly.

The problem is not that it doesn't move or that it isn't level.

Look at the motor base which I have perfectly square in the picture.
Now look at the seat base which is rotated to the right relative to the base.

In the picture it looks like the whole unit may be twisted to the right, but look carefully, the motor base is square. Only the seat mount is rotated to the right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The level you can easily account for in the software. Next Level will tell you to do this and is part of the process. I have mine level adjusted by a few clicks both on the roll and pitch axis. The seat mount being out of square looks odd, however it seems that the base is also not aligned with the lines you have superimposed. It does look slightly off however if you're looking at the section between the NLR lettering and the warranty void sticker. I'd email them and see if there maybe is a way to get it back to square without sending the whole thing back. Might be a bolt and a little adjustment that does it.

It's possible. I've sent an email to Mathew at NLR to ask about this.
It's not obvious from inspecting the universal joint that there is any room for adjustment, but it is possible that there is a tiny bit of space around the bolt holes to allow for a couple degrees of adjustment.

Based on the mangled box and a few gouges through the powder coating on the seat mount, I believe this was knocked out of alignment during shipping. I suspect the entire contents of the box fell out at some point.

Upvote 0
It looks like there are two bolts, a large through bolt about 1/4 20 (may be metric) and a smaller bolt on each side. I'll wait to hear back before I try anything.

It does look very beefy.

Ujoint2.jpg

Upvote 0
I figured I would still make a bit of progress on this while waiting. I tried to be as precise as possible and made 8mm holes for the 8mm bolts. Everything fit perfectly. The dimensions for the bolts on the drawing in the manual are nuts on. I'll dress the aluminum once I have the top holes drilled after my P1 cockpit gets here.
anglemounted.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I'm going to have to flip the angle in my earlier idea for mounting the 80x40 pieces that my chair bolts to on top. I was told that my P1 Cockpit would probably ship tomorrow :) Woo Hoo!

Upvote 0
I loosened the main 6 allen key bolts at the top and the two main universal joint bolts, took my rubber mallet knocked it straight and then tightened the bolts back down. My NLRv3 is now square. The thing seems like a tank. The top bolts are just tighten hard. The Universal Joints I took care to count the number of turns I loosened them so I could get the torque right after re-tightening.

So I'm just going to call it good and move forward.

:) :) :)
shippedP1Cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I loosened the main 6 allen key bolts at the top and the two main universal joint bolts, took my rubber mallet knocked it straight and then tightened the bolts back down. My NLRv3 is now square. The thing seems like a tank. The top bolts are just tighten hard. The Universal Joints I took care to count the number of turns I loosened them so I could get the torque right after re-tightening.

So I'm just going to call it good and move forward.

:) :) :)
View attachment 288940
Great to hear that. Now after you receive your P1 cockpit and install everything, I want a detailed review of it. I’m waiting for my AccuForce V2 and my next purchase will be the NLV3.

Upvote 0
You realize that there will be the initial build and then iteration for a while. I'm still waiting for Heusinkveld to get caught up with their Sprint pedals and I'm waiting for Fantec to release their DD1/DD2 to see how well that is received. I could still go OSW, but will stick with Fanatec if the final product is good.

However I will install the flight controls in the first pass.

Now I'm looking at my peddle transducer mounts and thinking I may try something like these to allow the pedals and transducer to vibrate together without being dampened out by the weight of the chassis. It's an experiment.
51hOBaEIUQL._SL1181_.jpg

Upvote 0
Why would you even consider writing for DD1 or dd2 when there is OSW available?

OSW has a great system and it has it's own benefits like inexpensive upgradable motors, upgradable encoders, and a dedicated group who are improving it's software regularly.

I'm not trying to get into a debate comparing them. SimRacingBay puts together some nice kits and supports their products, or you could buy the parts individually and save a few bucks.

Fanatec has simplified setup, wireless connection, cleaner wiring and cleaner overall look and I still need to see it, but I believe a smaller power supply.

One of the prerequisites for my system is that it be mobile and quick to setup and quick to stow. I think the Fanatec DD would make it easier by saving me a few USB cables and allowing me to easily mount the power supply inside the P1 base.

I don't have dedicated space for my Sim rig. It needs to be able to be wheeled out of my room scale VR area which is also the center of my Theater room.

Upvote 0
OSW has a great system and it has it's own benefits like inexpensive upgradable motors, upgradable encoders, and a dedicated group who are improving it's software regularly.

I'm not trying to get into a debate comparing them. SimRacingBay puts together some nice kits and supports their products, or you could buy the parts individually and save a few bucks.

Fanatec has simplified setup, wireless connection, cleaner wiring and cleaner overall look and I still need to see it, but I believe a smaller power supply.

One of the prerequisites for my system is that it be mobile and quick to setup and quick to stow. I think the Fanatec DD would make it easier by saving me a few USB cables and allowing me to easily mount the power supply inside the P1 base.

I don't have dedicated space for my Sim rig. It needs to be able to be wheeled out of my room scale VR area which is also the center of my Theater room.

It is not only that. Most of all you get ultimate control over parameters of FFB which can make for polarizing and everything in between, experience with it. With Fanatec, in compare, you will get mostly their way or no way plus unknown reliability.

It is really not that difficult to make OSW rig portable. Henk's system is good example. Number of USB connections is none issue as you can put USB hub on the rig and have only one USB cable going out to PC.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Wow!!!
With that shipping debacle I would have returned and exchanged that unit in a hearbeat!
Sounds like it took quite a beating, so there's no telling what else may be wrong with the things which you can't see, such the internals & electronics.
Or was it a one-off a used/open box deal or something?
Best of luck!

Upvote 0
Yeah, it does make me wonder.
I will say that I got immediate feedback from NLR when I had pre-sale questions to ask. However when I asked them about the adjusting the unit square or how to deal with the damage both through their website and directly back to the guy Mathew I've received nothing yet. I've heard that they have excellent support, so now I'm hoping they are just busy and this isn't a sign that they won't support this unit. If I don't get a good feeling that they are going to support me if there is a problem later on, I'll ask for a replacement unit.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it does make me wonder.
I will say that I got immediate feedback from NLR when I had pre-sale questions to ask. However when I asked them about the adjusting the unit square or how to deal with the damage both through their website and directly back to the guy Mathew I've received nothing yet. I've heard that they have excellent support, so now I'm hoping they are just busy and this isn't a sign that they won't support this unit. If I don't get a good feeling that they are going to support me if there is a problem later on, I'll ask for a replacement unit.
I would ask for it anyway. You have paid top dollar for brand new and undamaged unit. Not some knock-off no matter who's fault it is.

Upvote 0
Their support is usually pretty good. I wouldn't let one instance give you any other impression. Of course if it's your first time dealing with them then it's not a great look so I can understand any frustration. But on the whole people have been happy with the level of post sale service so hopefully you get the same treatment.

Upvote 0
I got an email from Brendan from my request on the website. He asked me to generate a zip file that includes diagnostic information. If it checks out AND they will support it under warranty, I'm not going to worry about it.

My Cockpit is scheduled to arrive on Monday by end of day, which is good because I won't get any work done after it gets here :)

My isolation mounts should get here on Wednesday. I have a pile of 8mm bolts arriving today. I expect that I'll be working on it a little each day and finish it up next weekend. I have a lot of ideas, but want to see how everything fits together before I start drilling and cutting.

I'm not averse to using wood in some places and also using it for prototyping before ordering more 8020. I'll probably leave 3/4" plywood under the removable flight pedals and for my transducer mounts. For anything else I've got some African Purpleheart in my shop that could make for nice accents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 83 59.7%