Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

That is an incredible deal for the NLRv3!
Even though mine died on me after a month of use and I returned it, I wouldn't hesitate again at that price, and just deal with any possible future issues.
In fact, I did the opposite of you, and went from a NLRv3 to a 2dof DIY build myself, and aside from the software side of things (SimTools) I really don't notice much difference between the two.
Great find, and I hope it all works out well for you.
Cheers!

I am switching from linear 2DOF to sort of circular ;-) , hope you know what I mean. There is a difference, even Shaun Cole paid attention to it - which is brake lock up feeling. Linear 2DOF cannot offer this feeling, when you brake, you just brake and feel lock up with your wheel only. I notoced that when I tested NLRv3. That is why, apart from other benefits such as one software for all, main reason I made a switch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am switching from linear 2DOF to sort of circular ;-) , hope you know what I mean. There is a difference, even Shaun Cole paid attention to it - which is brake lock up feeling. Linear 2DOF cannot offer this feeling, when you brake, you just brake and feel lock up with your wheel only. I notoced that when I tested NLRv3. That is why, apart from other benefits such as one software for all, main reason I made a switch.

My DIY 2dof motion platform is pretty much a copy of the NLRv3 in functionality (under-the-seat-mover), and I experience the simulated for & aft effects/simulated G-forces as well.

After owning the NLRv3, I knew that I liked the design and how it all fit into the rig, so I basically just copied how it works rather than building one which moves the entire rig.
The bonus is, much like the NLRv3, I can just unbolt it from my main rig and reto-fit it into something else if desired.

If your NLRv3 arrives and you have no issues with it, then that may very well be the best deal on record for anyone ever getting one, congrats!!!
Much like you did,I would have bought it just to have 2 different rigs available to use.
$1000 Euro's works out to be $1500 Canadian, and there's no way I would have passed on a deal like that.

I think that says a lot considering I owned one, had an issue and returned it, yet still think that it's a great piece of hardware.
No bitterness on my end at all, if anything I was quite upset in having to return it, but it had to be done.
Mind you I paid almost $4000 CAD after taxes so that was a huge factor in my decision to return it after the defect, but @ $1500 I wouldn't even have to think twice about buying another one.
I'd just deal with any issues if they arose, either myself or (hopefully) through NLR and their support.

Good luck, you're going to love it!!!!

Reactions: TPS
Upvote 0
I contacted manufacturer, who is based 200 km from my place, asking for some support if anything happens. That was the deal maker. The seller, who is a repo man, said it was operational and gave me 14 days to check it. I know manufacturer myself and visited them once. Now I am constructing 80/40 aluminium rig, because I found a good source, much cheaper than ready made rig.

Upvote 0
I contacted manufacturer, who is based 200 km from my place, asking for some support if anything happens. That was the deal maker. The seller, who is a repo man, said it was operational and gave me 14 days to check it. I know manufacturer myself and visited them once. Now I am constructing 80/40 aluminium rig, because I found a good source, much cheaper than ready made rig.

That's awesome!!!!
I'm located 7000km's away (plus an ocean or two ;)) from the manufacturer, and they don't have a North American service center, which is why I returned it after the defect.

It sounds as though everything is falling into place for you for both the motion platform + 80/20 aluminum....excellent!!!

The "repo man" story sounds interesting, do you have any details or the story on how it came into his possession?
Somebody simply didn't pay their bills, or perhaps an arcade or VR arcade when under and they were forced to liquidate?

When do you expect to receive your NLRv3?

Upvote 0
The "repo man" story sounds interesting, do you have any details or the story on how it came into his possession?
Somebody simply didn't pay their bills, or perhaps an arcade or VR arcade when under and they were forced to liquidate?

When do you expect to receive your NLRv3?

The repo guy said the previous owner could not handle the bills. The price was a killer, but many years ago I was in this business and such occasion tended to happen, that is why I did not think twice. My first Playseat was bought this way also, with the wheel and PS2. I sold the wheel and PS2 for as much as I paid for all pieces. Playseat came for free.

I am lucky, next week I will have it operational. In the mean time I need to sell my 2DOF 100mm SCN5 rig, which in Poland might be difficult.

I visit Canada (Ottawa mainly) regularly, my aunt lives there.

Upvote 0
The repo guy said the previous owner could not handle the bills. The price was a killer, but many years ago I was in this business and such occasion tended to happen, that is why I did not think twice. My first Playseat was bought this way also, with the wheel and PS2. I sold the wheel and PS2 for as much as I paid for all pieces. Playseat came for free.

I am lucky, next week I will have it operational. In the mean time I need to sell my 2DOF 100mm SCN5 rig, which in Poland might be difficult.

I visit Canada (Ottawa mainly) regularly, my aunt lives there.

I wish you well and hope it all works out.

The software is tied to the serial #, so assuming that the previous owner already activated it, have you sorted that out with NLR support to reset it for you?

They are generally very good with their support, and if memory serves correctly then Matthew is to go-to guy for things such as this.

I wonder what ever happened to my returned unit, whether it was sent back to Poland for repair, or if it was liquidated somewhere? Hmmmm..... for $1500 I would have re-bought it in a heartbeat and just dealt with NLR support for the repair. :sneaky:

I'm in Western Canada, and have never been out East (such as Ottawa) before...too cold for me, LOL!!!

Upvote 0
Anyone notice their remade profiles for the V3 feel different to before? Not sure if I'm imagining things but something feels a little different. I have checked all my custom settings and they are the same as before the update.

Upvote 0
Anyone notice their remade profiles for the V3 feel different to before? Not sure if I'm imagining things but something feels a little different. I have checked all my custom settings and they are the same as before the update.
Different how? More/Less motion for the same setting, or something more nuanced?

Upvote 0
i was thinking the same, vr integration doesnt work from my testing, it was alot smoother before now with the camera shake

Upvote 0
@Mascot Okay I give up, where did you source the angled aluminium please? I have tried everywhere for those sizes and my normal supplier can't do it either!
It was from eBay, one 500mm length that I cut down with my chop saw.
upload_2018-12-13_17-53-36.png

Not sure if the same stuff is still available from the same seller (forwardmetals). Good luck!

Upvote 0
Well it seems they no longer sell that size either :(, two companies both refunding my money, I think its the 1/4" thickness which is the problem.

Okay found another company, third time lucky....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can't get a custom made piece, I used a few metal brackets that are intended for roofing, I think. Got them from the local hardware store. They aren't as perfect as Mascot's but they are roughly the same thickness and strength and do pretty much the same job. I had to cut 2 of them down with the angle grinder. You can use a full bracket for the rear two holes and the cut down one for the single hole toward the front. Check out my build log here for the pictures and a better idea of what I used.

Upvote 0
I don't use the VR compensation so I can't speak of that but the profiles feel a little different. Maybe less movement? I can't quite put my finger on it. I am having Rift drama again so I might just be a little distracted and thrown off by that but I could swear that they are not exactly the same output as before. It feels like I didn't put a setting back exactly where it was before. Not night and day difference but normally when I feel something in my gut it ends up being true even when there is no explanation of it. Maybe some others will find the same thing happening to them and report? Or I could just be mistaken.

Perhaps just thinking of what I can expect with the SFX-100 build coming up for me I am already underwhelmed by what I currently have. Also known as sim racer ungratefulness......

Upvote 0
I tried the VR compensation when I had my NLRv3, and found that it felt horribly unnatural.

It makes no sense when using a 2dof motion platform, as the motion that it's generating actually translates naturally to what you should be experiencing in game as well as with VR.
A 2dof seat mover shouldn't be setup for huge movements, but rather shorter + quicker actions which have a negligible effect to the on-screen action.

The only way I could see it being of any use is if you were to add a 3rd degree of freedom such as traction loss, as the larger physical lateral movement could cause tracking/motion issues with what you're seeing on-screen.

Flight & Space sims may also benefit from VR compensation with their more extreme & simulated 360 degree rolls, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried VR compensation but it gave weird feeling. As I never had problems with nausea, it started giving me some. Now I am trying to understand linearity in post processing. Tactile feedback also needs some understanding - Sim Vibe gives much better tactile feedback with its Simcommander. I would like to have all in one software, but now I am very happy I have something different

Upvote 0
Tactile stops working after a few seconds.

Anyone having trouble with their NLR V3 tactile feedback? I'm pretty sure this started after the last update. In any case it used to work fine but now my Buttkicker loses after approximately 6 seconds. It works fine as the sim puts me in the car and then it stops getting a signal (green light stops flashing). The tactile setup/test page seems to work fine but it shuts off 6 seconds after I start a car in any game. I also used the test page to fire off signals for a minute a so straight and that works fine so I don't think the Buttkicker is overloading. Also ever time I pause a game then return it works for a another 6 seconds.

Anyone have this? NLR support hasn't responded yet.

Upvote 0
I don't use the tactile feature in the V3 software so I have no idea. I'm sure someone will get back to you soon, however. Everyone associated with the product on a customer service level are super attentive to requests and problems.

Upvote 0
Tactile stops working after a few seconds.

Anyone having trouble with their NLR V3 tactile feedback? I'm pretty sure this started after the last update. In any case it used to work fine but now my Buttkicker loses after approximately 6 seconds. It works fine as the sim puts me in the car and then it stops getting a signal (green light stops flashing). The tactile setup/test page seems to work fine but it shuts off 6 seconds after I start a car in any game. I also used the test page to fire off signals for a minute a so straight and that works fine so I don't think the Buttkicker is overloading. Also ever time I pause a game then return it works for a another 6 seconds.

Anyone have this? NLR support hasn't responded yet.
This used to happen to me, and I think I was running my buttkicker too loud, so it would auto disconnect after reaching a certain temperature. Have you tried lowering the intensity on the amp?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies