Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

I just tested NLRv3 - impressions? Super cool, but unfortunately I could drive it in front of 42 "TV, not with CV1.
It's different from my 2DOF by Prosimu. It gives more cues from under your butt. Moreover. there is some sort of inertia, which linear SCNs cannot not give, because their movement is too direct and more zero-one operation.
This inertia of the seat itself provides more natural feeling IMO.
Is better? Worse? I do not know but I can see the benefits in the form of a single, refined software, silence and size as far as NLRv3.
What is the most important - NLRv3 is extremely fast, no delay whatsoever and the cues come from under your butt, not from behind your back, which is different and I would take a guess more natural. I am thinking about selling my 2DOF and switching to NLRv3.
Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
Nice analysis and comparison there mate. The more I think about it and get people's opinion on motion, the more highly regarded the V3 becomes. I'm considering going the D-Box style motion actuators which I was absolutely sold on a week or two ago. The more I use my V3 the more I like it. I'd hate to move onto something like that and feel like I'm missing things that the V3 once gave me.

If I do decide to move on with it, I'd definitely keep the V3 until I've properly tested the new actuators out. I may end up keeping the V3 and finding the servo's a new home.

Upvote 0
Nice analysis and comparison there mate. The more I think about it and get people's opinion on motion, the more highly regarded the V3 becomes. I'm considering going the D-Box style motion actuators which I was absolutely sold on a week or two ago. The more I use my V3 the more I like it. I'd hate to move onto something like that and feel like I'm missing things that the V3 once gave me.

If I do decide to move on with it, I'd definitely keep the V3 until I've properly tested the new actuators out. I may end up keeping the V3 and finding the servo's a new home.
I wonder if anyone has tried a D-box system with the NLRv3 mounted on it? The v3 could be tuned to offer the effects that the actuators don't.
Do it, @anton_Chez !

Upvote 0

I have been having the exact same thoughts buddy.

Like you, a few weeks back, I was absolutely sold on the SFX-100 project and am really enjoying that thread. It's very impressive stuff and an absolute game-changer based on its 'within-reach' viability compared to other solutions. As a result it's very easy to get swept along on the wave of enthusiasm!

However it also led me to take stock of what I had and evaluate and appreciate both the strengths and weaknesses of the V3. That ranged from the simplicity of it's installation and how neatly it all fits within my P1, (thanks again to the @Mascot method), to how quick and easy it is to set up profiles and make on-the-fly adjustments and finally, to how it feels in-game.

As a result I spent a little time on Saturday tweaking and testing the slider settings once again, (I still use your post-processing settings for formula and non-formula), to even more conservative levels than was the case before. I focused on reducing those seat movements (and their speed), which push me towards the pedals but not by too much that the opposite forces, experienced upon gear change and acceleration, are lost entirely. I also created profiles for certain individual cars where acceleration and braking forces are more brutal and a more generic profile simply wasn't going to cut it.

However as I sim 100% in VR now, even the reduced motion ques were still very clearly defined and effective. My son was back from Uni over the weekend and he had a good few laps in AC and rF2. He was as immersed as ever but from the outside I was surprised how much the platform / seat still moved, even with reduced settings. With his VR being output to the monitor, it was also very impressive to see how quickly and accurately the V3 responds. There's no discernible lag whatsoever. It really is an impressive piece of kit when set up properly to personal taste.

I'm also loving the curb effects, which RF2 now outputs to the V3. These not only appear to be directional to the left and right hand sides of the seat, (with the vibration felt along my thighs) but front to back as well, i.e. as if the V3 generates an output to each wheel. (And I'm not using any tactile set up) I was enjoying Zandvoort GP yesterday and could have sworn I felt the left rear in my left arse cheek when I put that wheel only on a curb :) as opposed to down my left leg / thigh when I put both wheels on it. Placebo effect maybe? Need to test some more!

After all that I found myself asking, do I actually need any more than this? So I've cooled on the actuator idea for now but if I did ever go down that route, would it be possible and beneficial to keep the V3 in situ anyway?

We are lucky to have such choice I suppose but as it stands, I certainly don't feel short changed with regards the V3 and my own experience and immersion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been having the exact same thoughts buddy.

Like you, a few weeks back, I was absolutely sold on the SFX-100 project and am really enjoying that thread. It's very impressive stuff and an absolute game-changer based on it's 'within-reach' viability compared to other solutions. As a result it's very easy to get swept along on the wave of enthusiasm!

However it also led me to take stock of what I had and evaluate and appreciate both the strengths and weaknesses of the V3. That ranged from the simplicity of it's installation and how neatly it all fits within my P1, (thanks again to the @Mascot method), to how quick and easy it is to set up profiles and make on-the-fly adjustments and finally, to how it feels in-game.

As a result I spent a little time on Saturday tweaking and testing the slider settings once again, (I still use your post-processing settings for formula and non-formula), to even more conservative levels than was the case before. I focused on reducing those seat movements (and their speed), which push me towards the pedals but not by too much that the opposite forces, experienced upon gear change and acceleration, are lost. I also created profiles for certain individual cars where acceleration and braking forces are more brutal and a more generic profile simply wasn't going to cut it.

However as I sim 100% in VR now, even the reduced motion ques were still very clearly defined and effective. My son was back from Uni over the weekend and he had a good few laps in AC and rF2. He was as immersed as ever but from the outside I was still surprised how much the platform / seat still moved, even with reduced settings. With his VR being output to the monitor, it was also very impressive to see how quickly and accurately the V3 responds. There's no discernible lag whatsoever. It really is an impressive piece of kit when set up properly to personal taste.

I'm also loving the curb effects, which RF2 now outputs to the V3. These not only appear to be directional to the left and right hand sides of the seat, (with the vibration felt along my thighs) but front to back as well, i.e. as if the V3 generates an output to each wheel. (And I'm not using any tactile set up) I was enjoying Zandvoort GP yesterday and could have sworn I felt the left rear in my left arse cheek when I put that wheel on a curb :) as opposed to down my my left leg / thigh when I put both wheels on it. Placebo affect maybe? Need to test some more!

After all that I found myself asking, do I actually need any more than this? So I've cooled on the actuator idea for now and find myself asking, if I did ever go down that route, would it be possible and beneficial to keep the V3 in situ anyway?

We are lucky to have such choice I suppose but I certainly don't feel short changed with regards the V3 and my own experience and immersion as it stands.
Pretty much mirrors my own thoughts right now too.

Upvote 0
@Steve D If you get a chance, would you mind posting your NLRV3 settings that you've been tuning? i think you can export the profiles so maybe even a dropbox or something might work better than screen shots?

For me, this project is exciting but ultimately it's time vs value. As you know IRL, while you do get all sorts of feedback but you actually end up ignoring most of it and really only taking into account the feedback that's relevant to the next input decisions. Now if we had a system that gave you all the feedback avenues possible you'd still be ignoring most of it but atleast you'd have a full menu to choose from. The cost of getting that menu only to discard most of it, that's where I go back n forth. The V3 is a tasting menu. You get a few selected items but they're well done. Maybe I need a second breakfast...

I also ran some laps around silverstone national with the motion off practicing for next weeks race. The laptimes weren't impacted but I simply didn't enjoy it as much. Then it occurred to me. As much we talk about realism this, immersion that, it ultimately comes down to a simple question; are you enjoying it? If so, keep on. If not, make the changes *you* feel are necessary to make you enjoy it. Not what works for others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spot on guys. Well said Steve, exactly what I'm thinking. As much as it's a budget oriented motion solution, even though people might scoff at that statement seeing it's a $4,000 AUD item, the more I have it the less I feel the need to move onto anything else. I mean, the same can be said for the CSW vs OSW wheelbase route, but the DD wheel certainly adds a great deal to your experience compared to any consumer wheel. I take that for granted now, too. I'm constantly turning the feedback level up on the regular cars I drive, perhaps because I am getting used to the forces over time and feel the need to increase slightly. Having that experience now would certainly dampen any enjoyment I potentially would get should I end up using a consumer grade wheel again in future. I'm not sure the same can be said with motion and the V3.

It's actually a fantastic bit of kit, nothing about it makes me feel I have an inferior product compared to the vastly more expensive options out there. The thing with the SFX build is that, as good as it is, I am worried I actually might miss the V3 and what it does so well, I guess what we take for granted. It will be a different sort of experience, for sure, but where the OSW is 100% an upgrade in every single way you look at it (except for it being more expensive) over a consumer wheel, with no downsides (software compatibility being the exception), the same cannot be said for V3 vs chassis mover. Even in the seat mover catagory, I would say it's right up there with more expensive and elaborate systems. I had mine in the front most room of my house. The same cannot be said for something like a Stage IV. That needs a garage.

My opinion of course, but my point being it does the mechanical side of things so well, with the bonus of just about everything else being top of it's class. Looks, space, sound, operation, customer service, price, availability.

Upvote 0
You are 'bang on' again Anton and I know that you, I and others are not simply Next Level V3 fan boys either, just waxing lyrical for the hell of it and with blinkers on.

Like a fair few of us, I've parted with a fair chunk of my 'hard-earned' on a regular basis to get my set up to where it is today, since I started this journey in to sim-racing 12-months ago. I've certainly been susceptible to a fairly heavy dose of 'upgradeitus' along the way but I'm so chuffed with how everything has come together and the experience I've had, (and in no small part as a result of the brilliant support and camaraderie on these forums), that I actually feel very, very privileged to own it along with having a wee sense of pride. :)

And it cannot be understated how integral and important the NLRv3 has been in that experience for me. Without doubt 100% contributory since day one to the point where the experience is incomplete and lacking if I forget to switch it on or haven't selected the correct profile. Sure the platform has its limitations and the motion experience is not entirely grounded in the reality of real life physics and track work but of late especially, (and as @RobertR1 rightly alluded to), I've really appreciated the few things it does do very, very well. And that was enough to 'check my stride' and 'put the brakes on' whilst I carried out some objective reassessment when I would have usually just whipped the card out and started spending out on that SFX shopping list. I even had a 3D-printer earmarked for, (ahem, cough), business use! :D

That says an awful lot about the quality of the V3 in my opinion.

And I'm still not a fan boy.....honest!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you fellas noticed all the additional post-processing adjustment options since the last update? I noticed them for the first time last night but I'm almost afraid to touch them. :)

Upvote 0
Have you fellas noticed all the additional post-processing adjustment options since the last update? I noticed them for the first time last night but I'm almost afraid to touch them. :)
I haven't updated my NLRv3 software for ages. As a Win 10 user, updates scare me sh!tless.
If it ain't broke etc.

Upvote 0
Steve I haven't come across anything new in the post process tab since they added the ability to move the sliders into negative values. Which basically reverses the movement you currently get with the sliders in positive. I've just had a look now and everything is the same as I remember it.

Am I looking in the wrong spot? I need something new to break to fix....

Upvote 0
Here you go. I've now got additional pp for Heave, Sway, Surge & Yaw. (v2.79)

I wonder if they are even meant for the V3, especially with Yaw present?

upload_2018-10-23_14-8-31.png

upload_2018-10-23_14-8-58.png

upload_2018-10-23_14-9-19.png

Upvote 0
Is it true that NLRv3 has more powerful output than common linear SCN type actuator? What I noticed is that NLRv3 is very fast, meaning must be sort strong. Correct im if am wrong

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back