BREAKING: 2020 AUSTRALIAN FORMULA 1 GP CANCELLED

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews told 7News Sydney: “On public health grounds, there will be no spectators at the grand prix this weekend if a race actually happens at all. That is a matter for them and they will make announcements very soon.”

So Australian authorities have no say in the matter ? Even if they think that public health is an issue they can not prevent the F1 from racing. I found that hard to believe.
Does that mean now that police will be on location to prevent fans from entering the area ?

Edit:
OK, posted that at the same time the cancellation came.

Last edited:
Why is the announcement on formula1.com dated 7 hrs ago? WTH? It just popped up moments ago.
Because they probably wrote it at the time which in itself speaks volumes. Maybe they were hoping for a miracle ? In any case, making it official with less than an hour to go they now have thousands (I guess) on site. That's very poor management.

Why is the announcement on formula1.com dated 7 hrs ago? WTH? It just popped up moments ago.
Likely their comms people has drafts ready to go for every possible outcome, then someone on the webteam forgot to update the timestamp before making it public. In case they change it later, here's a screenshot showing this was prepped over 7 hours ago.

F1 Australia Grand Prix Cancellation.png

Likely their comms people has drafts ready to go for every possible outcome, then someone on the webteam forgot to update the timestamp before making it public. In case they change it later, here's a screenshot showing this was prepped over 7 hours ago.

View attachment 355024
Seven hours of legal meetings to spell check every letter of the announcement also ;)

Hope we can see what happened behind the scenes next year on Netflix.

Was expected this to be announced after WHO declared COVID-19 outbreak to be pandemic.
Guess it’s time to download the free F1 2019 and play it for the next few days.

View attachment 355024
Yeah, I chuckled when I loaded the page and it told me "8 hours ago".
They even embed the precise (millisecond-level! :D) timestamp into the page, which translates to "Thursday, 12 March 2020 15:55:03.762 GMT" - not so long after the media started reporting that it was being called off.
I wonder if they'll bother to "fix" it at all now...

• Deleted member 561801

So not chance of handing over the GP later?

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 181 66.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 117 43.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 125 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 53 19.5%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 73 26.8%
Back