Brake Trainer

Apps Brake Trainer 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
AugGust submitted a new resource:

Brake Trainer - Pinpoints your braking points

Brake Trainer pinpoints your braking points

It learns your braking points, and gives you a visual cue when you approach them

Usage Guide and Demo

Configuration Parameters
ParameterEffectDefault
Record fpsResolution it takes snapshots of your position. Makes braking point more accurate, at cost of memory60
Record durationAdjusts...

Read more about this resource...

Is it possible to transfer the learned brakepoints from Player A to Player B? So someone can improve his brakepoints by learning from faster guys.
Yea easily. Look inside python/apps/brakeTrainer/braking.txt. Each [Section] specifies the braking data for each car&track combo. Just copy the section (Starts from square brackets until the next one) and paste into the other person's braking.txt

But if the other person's racing line is drastically different, it might not trigger some of the braking zones

Small idea for future. Would be great to move forward or backward (edit) breaking points in game. Second idea is to save breaking points from best sectors (not from whole lap). I don’t know if it’s possible.

Can you make the app scalable?
Next plan is to make a few more options for the UI, maybe streamline it to just the lights or something
Small idea for future. Would be great to move forward or backward (edit) breaking points in game. Second idea is to save breaking points from best sectors (not from whole lap). I don’t know if it’s possible.
The sector times are not exposed by native AC API, would have to dig into other apps to see how they did it when i have more time, then maybe. Probably won't do an editor, because it would then need a UI, etc etc. You can always just try to brake a little later, and if your time improved from that, it'll register as your new point

Maybe you can incorporate the reaction time it takes to react to the red lights?
As in make the red light flash earlier by like ~0.2-0.3 seconds? It's an exact countdown so i didn't think there was a reaction aspect involved. For the next version I could just add an offset setting, earlier or later. Would be trivial to do
Could you make to play sounds when I approach to a braking zone?
Can't imagine what kind of sounds would play at what moments to let you know... Beeping or something? Would be weird imo

As in make the red light flash earlier by like ~0.2-0.3 seconds? It's an exact countdown so i didn't think there was a reaction aspect involved. For the next version I could just add an offset setting, earlier or later. Would be trivial to do

Can't imagine what kind of sounds would play at what moments to let you know... Beeping or something? Would be weird imo
Yeah, you could adjust it in the app settings, so everyone can personalize it

Would it be possible to take into account the tyre specification as the braking point differ front H -> M -> S.
Hmm mayb can allow the app to change between different sets of braking points. I'll take a look at more possibilities soon, will have some time to touch the app more later in the week

Would it be possible to take into account the tyre specification as the braking point differ front H -> M -> S.
Hmm this might require to change the way each set of brakepoints are saved, essentially making everyone have to redo their saved data.

I think the brakepoint differences between each compound are normally not too large, and the driver can account for the slight change manually

Automatically calculating them might be not reliable and make the driver overshoot the corner instead

Unless many people ask for it I think i won't be looking into it for now

I like the added sounds, but they are a bit loud compared to other noise/sound... Is it somehow possible to make them a bit less? Also the option to turn on or off recording is great. I think you should make an option in the settings when it should record (practice, quali, race). That way i don't forget to turn it back on next time after a race (or to turn it off before a race)... Thanks for the great work.

If you put the following in a file config_defaults.ini (in the same dir as config.ini), the config page in Content Manager will look nicer and have explanation when hovering over a field. Besides that, users will be able to return to default settings:

[CONFIG]
record_fps = 60 ; Record fps (Resolution it takes snapshots of your position. Makes braking point more accurate, at cost of memory)
record_duration = 3.0 ; Record duration (Adjusts recording history length. Also affects how early the countdown begins); from 1 to 10
brake_threshold = 0.3 ; Brake threshold (The % of brakes that have to be applied to trigger the detection); from 0.0 to 1.0
brake_duration_threshold = 0.8 ; Brake duration threshold (The duration the brakes have to be held above the threshold, to record as a braking point)
flash_red_duration = 0.5 ; Flash red duration (How long the lights stay red when you hit the braking point)
flash_early = 0.0 ; Flash early (Make red lights appear earlier, or later if negative. Do not set this larger than Record duration)
bar_scale = 100 ; Bar scale (The distance the bottom bar represents, in meters)
lock_rec = False ; Lock recording (Prevents registering new brake points)
sound = False ; Sound (Beeps at you as you get closer to the braking point)
[INTERFACE]
transparent = False ; Transparent background (Transparent background)
no_bar = False ; Bottom bar (show bottom bar)

Last edited:
I like the added sounds, but they are a bit loud compared to other noise/sound... Is it somehow possible to make them a bit less? Also the option to turn on or off recording is great. I think you should make an option in the settings when it should record (practice, quali, race). That way i don't forget to turn it back on next time after a race (or to turn it off before a race)... Thanks for the great work.

If you put the following in a file config_defaults.ini (in the same dir as config.ini), the config page in Content Manager will look nicer and have explanation when hovering over a field. Besides that, users will be able to return to default settings:

[CONFIG]
record_fps = 60 ; Record fps (Resolution it takes snapshots of your position. Makes braking point more accurate, at cost of memory)
record_duration = 3.0 ; Record duration (Adjusts recording history length. Also affects how early the countdown begins); from 1 to 10
brake_threshold = 0.3 ; Brake threshold (The % of brakes that have to be applied to trigger the detection); from 0.0 to 1.0
brake_duration_threshold = 0.8 ; Brake duration threshold (The duration the brakes have to be held above the threshold, to record as a braking point)
flash_red_duration = 0.5 ; Flash red duration (How long the lights stay red when you hit the braking point)
flash_early = 0.0 ; Flash early (Make red lights appear earlier, or later if negative. Do not set this larger than Record duration)
bar_scale = 100 ; Bar scale (The distance the bottom bar represents, in meters)
lock_rec = False ; Lock recording (Prevents registering new brake points)
sound = False ; Sound (Beeps at you as you get closer to the braking point)
[INTERFACE]
transparent = False ; Transparent background (Transparent background)
no_bar = False ; Bottom bar (show bottom bar)
Yea the sounds are pretty loud in hindsight. I'll release a small update with the softened sounds that you can manually replace inside the snd folder first. For now I can't find the functions that allow me to check which session it is, but it should be easy to implement if they're available. Great tip about the default cfg will include in the next version!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.