rF2 BMW M1 @ Silverstone 1975 - Thu 30 Sept 2021

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Is there a performance difference between the different "versions" of this car, or are they all technically the same physics?
Goos question.
Dunno.
My guess is no, but maybe somebody could check the hdv files or something.
Nothing on the Steam page to indicate that there are any differences.

Is there a performance difference between the different "versions" of this car, or are they all technically the same physics?

Goos question.
Dunno.
My guess is no, but maybe somebody could check the hdv files or something.
Nothing on the Steam page to indicate that there are any differences.

I found no differences in carstat.

Phew, so I can pick my favourite livery without the risk of accidentally choosing an inferior car.
Does anyone know what the ideal shift RPM for these cars is? It seems to lose acceleration while the engine note is still rising and I'm not entirely sure where to aim for.

Phew, so I can pick my favourite livery without the risk of accidentally choosing an inferior car.
Does anyone know what the ideal shift RPM for these cars is? It seems to lose acceleration while the engine note is still rising and I'm not entirely sure where to aim for.

1632840000155.png

This car is fantastic fun to drive around this incarnation of Silverstone. In fact, I went from this to having a blast around Imola in a GT3 and the latter had too much grip - I continually ended up coming to a standstill in the corners.

I don't know - I have had a difficult relationship with simracing recently. I never seem to see any improvement in where I am in the standings and it is very frustrating to have no one to race and be literally tens of seconds of the pace. I need to do some more work on it I think to try and improve. I have ended up rage quitting too much over the past few weeks - but then I have not been in the best of places for a number of reasons.

Put me down for a slot in the race. I am sure I will not be competitive or quick, but my goal is to be consistent and keep it on the track as far as I can. It's good to have a goal in mind.

I may even get through Woodcote without ending up in a steaming mess or bouncing off the kerbs. This car doesn't like kerbs.

This car is fantastic fun to drive around this incarnation of Silverstone. In fact, I went from this to having a blast around Imola in a GT3 and the latter had too much grip - I continually ended up coming to a standstill in the corners.

I don't know - I have had a difficult relationship with simracing recently. I never seem to see any improvement in where I am in the standings and it is very frustrating to have no one to race and be literally tens of seconds of the pace. I need to do some more work on it I think to try and improve. I have ended up rage quitting too much over the past few weeks - but then I have not been in the best of places for a number of reasons.

Put me down for a slot in the race. I am sure I will not be competitive or quick, but my goal is to be consistent and keep it on the track as far as I can. It's good to have a goal in mind.

I may even get through Woodcote without ending up in a steaming mess or bouncing off the kerbs. This car doesn't like kerbs.
It's great to have you back with us. I really mean that btw, wasn't just saying it.

Please please please, never give up. When I started racing I had nobody my pace to race against. I made the mistake of trying too hard to keep up. As we all know, a small off will cost multiple seconds, so it's better to race at a pace that you're unlikey to crash. Even if that's slower than everybody else, keep lapping. Eventually others will make mistakes and if you're consistant you'll make up time on them. Make a promise to yourself to try your very hardest to finish every race. The more races you finish, the easier this will get.

Practice the combo as much as you can manage - this really helps. If you have time, read up on racing theory. I used the Driver 51 videos and found them super helpful. I would practice, then study one of the vids, then go and try to put what I'd learned into practice on next week's combo.

Well OK, it didn't really work THAT well for me, as I'm still not (nor will I ever be) the fastest. But it did make me much quicker and more consistant than I was. Just try to remember that sim racing - and especially club racing - is meant to be fun. It a race right? So of course everybody wants to do well, but try to relax and not be too hard on yourself if things don't go to plan. I know, I know, I'm a fine one to talk. But when I do manage to race with a smile on my face, things definitely seem to go a lot better and I always enjoy myself a lot more, so...

Anyway, see you tomorrow. Hope it goes ok. :)

Welcome back and don't give up! I always had times where everything comes together and times where one race after the other is a huge mess-up (like every race with the 190E Evo :rolleyes:). As Denis said, best is practise the combo over and over again as much as possible. I'd also recommend experimenting with the setup until you feel most comfortable with the car. It makes a huge difference for me. The laptimes from when I start to practise with a combo until I have my setup figured out I often spend at least 4-5 hours easily and gain 3-4 seconds in the process. It also depends a lot on how I feel that day, sometimes I'm a second slower than the day before and just cannot find it no matter how long I try.
There are some good books on driving theory and car setups as well.
Also I'd recommend looking at some data. These days I always use the DAMplugin and Motec for the setup and to find points for improvement. For example, one thing you can look for is where you are "rolling", so not braking or accelerating. Like in the pic below the two red circled areas that are gray show I had no longitudinal G-forces so I just "rolled" and lost time. I found that a great tool for improvements.
If you want I can send you some Motec files for a combo so you can compare and see where the differences are.
Glen.JPG

:confused: wow... now here's a tip of the iceberg unveiled of what it takes to be alien-like quick I guess...
Very impressive, yet a bit daunting as well...
If I were to do this much preparation for a club racing event, I'd be able to do about 2 races a year...

Please sign me up, Denis.

Hopefully I'll have time to do some practice laps tomorrow, as I don't think I know this Silverstone layout yet.
Otherwise I'll just take my chances at seeing everyone else disappearing into the distance...:unsure:

Last edited:
Welcome back and don't give up! I always had times where everything comes together and times where one race after the other is a huge mess-up (like every race with the 190E Evo :rolleyes:). As Denis said, best is practise the combo over and over again as much as possible. I'd also recommend experimenting with the setup until you feel most comfortable with the car. It makes a huge difference for me. The laptimes from when I start to practise with a combo until I have my setup figured out I often spend at least 4-5 hours easily and gain 3-4 seconds in the process. It also depends a lot on how I feel that day, sometimes I'm a second slower than the day before and just cannot find it no matter how long I try.
There are some good books on driving theory and car setups as well.
Also I'd recommend looking at some data. These days I always use the DAMplugin and Motec for the setup and to find points for improvement. For example, one thing you can look for is where you are "rolling", so not braking or accelerating. Like in the pic below the two red circled areas that are gray show I had no longitudinal G-forces so I just "rolled" and lost time. I found that a great tool for improvements.
If you want I can send you some Motec files for a combo so you can compare and see where the differences are.
View attachment 506088

Thanks for that - I have used Motec in ACC but didn't know I could use it in RF2.

Z1 analyser is supposed to be good too, but I have never had time to play with it properly

:confused: wow... now here's a tip of the iceberg unveiled of what it takes to be alien-like quick I guess...
Very impressive, yet a bit daunting as well...
If I were to do this much preparation for a club racing event, I'd be able to do about 2 races a year...

Please sign me up, Denis.

Hopefully I'll have time to do some practice laps tomorrow, as I don't think I know this Silverstone layout yet.
Otherwise I'll just take my chances at seeing everyone else disappearing into the distance...:unsure:

Severe danger of sounding like "I am an expert and very quick". With the exception of a couple of club races back in May 2020 (or whenever me, Joakim and Roy joined the fun), I don't really practice for club races. I just show up on the evening and floor it.
Which is why I always do better in Race 2 :whistling:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 81 29.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 57 20.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 60 21.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Forum trophies