Best Motion system with VR compensation?

Great thread! I spent about 2 hours trying to get the SRS MC set up correctly and had one problem after another (some user error some not). Very frustrating. Finally, I disabled the start up apps for it in Steam VR and ran with out it. As I have a 4 transducer SFX-100 rig per comments in this thread MC really isn't needed. I had already tuned the motion a bit using SRC and got it to a reasonable level. What a relief as I would have had to run through a little task list EVERY time I fired it up if I used MC. Just my .02.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Holly molly, have you guys seen new D-Box platform. Almost invisible. But at $8K, well, better buy than Simucube ActivePedals still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holly molly, have you guys seen new D-Box platform. Almost invisible. But at $8K, well, better buy than Simucube ActivePedals still.
Wow that's quite a price. But also wow what a nice product, it especially looks way better then regular motion devices but overpriced imo(activepedals too). If the price goes down to 3500 euro incl. tax and below then there is a serious market for that product I think. New innovative products always start with a high pricetag, so it's really nice to see this new product. In the future we can get that product probably at a normal price.

I'm wondering if the monitor will survive that shaking for such a long time. Does anyone have experience with that? Is it not better to have the monitor fixed on the ground? How big is the benefit anyway to have the monitor moving together with the motion platform? Such a product is imo always nicer with VR for the immersion that it adds.

So that platform is basically a custom set of D-Box G5 actuators that are mounted slightly differently to allow for a more horizontal footprint. For effectively a bit more $$ over the base g5 equipment($7500), you get the platform which can be a nice deal for certain rig setups. Especially those that aren’t traditional aluminum profile based(unless this platform requires the rig combo shown at added cost).

I will say as an owner of the d-box g5, I have my triple monitors on a separate stand, but it can lead to a slight feel of dampening the motion effect a bit as the screens remain static and thus my perception is a bit lessened while I am being tossed about. I even tend to turn up the motion settings beyond default to sort of compensate.

I am a bit fearful integrating the monitors on my rig for simultaneous movement given it introduces not just motion, but a ton of vibration from the dbox haptics, the tactile effects from my bass shakers, FFB wheel, etc…. It would require some creative mounting to keep them locked down under such stress. Even my wind sim fans made a ton of rattling noise on my rig from all the vibrations before I moved them to the separate monitor stand so they weren’t thrashed about under motion/tactile. It’s certainly doable to mount monitors on motion though and some even in this forum have done as such with actuators. I have been considering switching from triples to a single Ultrawide at some point for this reason, just not at the moment (and really the static screens don’t impact the feel of motion all that much really).

• Deleted member 197115

It looks like it has the same travel as the SC active pedal too :).. Maybe less
The guys claims that it's the same travel range as vertically mounted actuators 1.5".
Only difference that they are mounted horizontally to decrease footprint and use levers for vertical movement.

I tried the V3, and it was way too brutal, and unnatural.
To really really enjoy a motion simulator, I came to the conclusion to get a Hexapod.

The size of the hexapod decides how much it can simulate G-Forces, and these kind of effects need motion compensation. The Cruden Hexapod was too big for me, and way too expensive.

Gforces cannot be simulated by the kind of D-Box systems. They are very usefull when it comes to calibrating the braking. Braking without gforces feels like stepping on a dead braking pedal without braking fluid in a real car...

On the other hand, a Hexapod cannot simulate roadrumbles of vertical actuators. Not a big deal, I use bass-shakers for those effects.

It's short motion effects are less brutal than a seat mover, but I did not like at all how the V3 slaps my back of the head, when I brake, the head is pushed back, and the back of the seat hits the head forward, That is a false cue, the most common false cue, which not many people are aware of, and the most difficult to avoid, specially on short curvy tracks with high power cars (F1 in Monaco). Before feeling the braking, you feel a short moment of acceleration when braking...

Qubic system does only allow one large screen, or small triple 32"screens .
Not a big deal if you use VR, but VR can be less spontaneous to start a quick session.
All moving parts are open and edgy, not very secure, if kids are standing around...
and really no place left to fix controllers.
It's 20K to 26k to 30k...

So I want to raise your attention to the Edge6D, https://www.gforcefactory.com/
The platform cost me about 12.500€, and I could add 3 43" Screens on the platform. I mounted a very light weed blocker around to have a cockpit feeling, because the platform can move so much, (the intensity is adjustable with a volume knob) it made me sick when the light was on, and I could see the edges of the wall and ceiling tilt and roll behind my screens.

I own it for 6month, and has a virtual tracker for the motion compensation,
meaning the motion of the platform is directly send to the motion compensation via a FlyPT module.

VR motion compensation is still experimental programmed by a single person, Dschadu, not by platform producers and not by the headset producers. Oculus makes it more difficult to use, as it does not allow overlays. The sims have to be forced to run in SteamVR, it works with openVR, I haven't tried yet OpenXR. It's a bit tricky to setup with a Quest2, who sometimes looses track depending on the brightness of the main screen or the room.

The Edge6D is silent, you hear more the large screens screech on sudden motion changes, than the actuators of the platform.
I managed to fix all controllers for flight (X-56 Stick and Throttle) and racing simulations simultaneously. (Handbrake sequential shifter, H-Shifter.
I only need to remove the big Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder which I can fix with 2 screws on the plate in front of the Invicta pedals in less than a minute.
It's incredible how I could place flight controllers side by side to racing controllers, and touchscreens on each side. All connected to a USB hub on the platform, only 4 cables leave the rig to the PC, 1 USB and 3HDMI.

It took me a year to check and try most kind of simulators, including the NLR systems, which, complete, cost more, and are simply bad with very unstable rolls and still no surge, the very expensive https://elektrax.com, very brutal, like the V3, but with TL, which can hardly be used for flight sim. Same for the Tracktime 3DOF, too expensive, 1 screen, https://simracing-store.com/int/simulatoren/komplett-systeme/tracktime-3motion.

The Edge6D is the best compromise, in space, in motion, in security, in noise, in maintainance costs, in performance both in racing and flying, and finally in price!

The Edge6D is a wonderfull piece of engineering, with excellent TL, no technical problem at all, and a high standard of security, no open parts in motion.

Support is great!

Attachments

• Edge6D left.jpg
    Edge6D left.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Edge6D right.jpg
    Edge6D right.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Brutal? That is all VERY configurable. The default settings are to high and need to be pulled down.

You can turn everything down so low that you can't even feel it.

Last edited:
I know that, and I tried that, but I did not find a satisfying sweet spot, to have enough motion effects without a headache after 20minutes. It's my personal opinion, I found no acceptable seatmover, they all cause false cues and headaches, too me.

What is the point of having motion, if it needs to be turned almost off...
And what is the point of motion compensation then, which is the topic, and the reason for my post

Last edited:
I know that, and I tried that, but I did not find a satisfying sweet spot, to have enough motion effects without a headache after 20minutes. It's my personal opinion, I found no acceptable seatmover, they all cause false cues and headaches, too me.

What is the point of having motion, if it needs to be turned almost off...

I'm not suggesting that just because a number of us had a good experience with the NLRv3 that it would make you happy.

The important thing is that you find something that works for you and your rig.

Enjoy your Hexapod system!

Hi, I am trying to research the best motion system that allows me to use VR with motion compensation and is relatively silent. I am using regular OpenVR for iRacing + AMS 2 , but starting to use OpenXR mods for ACC and AC to get better performance.

My general perspective so far on the pro and cons on each solution. My two priorities are:
  • Needs to work excellent with VR (OpenVR and OpenXR motion compensation)
  • Should be relative silent to not shake a house too much. Some haptics are okay, but should be okay for residential setup

D-BOX D-BOX 4250i G3
Pros:
  • Mature software, competitive advantage with its own SDK integration
  • Motion + haptics combination is mature
  • Most expensive option, but got much cheaper
  • Very reliable
Cons:
  • Can be loud with haptics
  • Not much travel if more motion is preferred for flight sim or rally - could be a limiting factor when using VR
  • No VR compensation
DK2+ Motion System
Pros:
  • More travel than D-BOX
  • Few titles support, but support generally is good
  • Good feeling for road texture
  • Low response times
  • Experienced US based company, reliable
  • Cheaper option

Cons:
  • No VR compensation

Qubic System QS-220-PL

Pros:
  • A lot of travel, strong specs for latency and motion
  • Experienced company (motion systems) with good support
  • OpenVR and OpenXR VR motion compensation (based on my NLR Motion Platform V3 experience)
  • Advertised as silent and home use friendly

Cons:
  • Not a lot of third party reviews

PT Actuators Scorpion Super
Pros:
  • A lot of travel
  • Works with OpenVR motion compensation via SRS
  • More affordable

Cons:
  • No OpenXR motion compensation
  • Travel might not be needed for regular road racing
  • Increases height of rig

RS MEGA+
Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Open Protocol
  • SRS supported
  • Open VR motion compensation
Cons:
  • SFX rigs can have a 10 khz driver noise issue that is hard to address
  • I assume there are support issues and that repairs would rely on DIY
  • No OpenXR motion compensation

Based on my hard critera, the logical option seems to be Qubic System QS-220-PL, but curious what others experiences are.
Hello,
RS MEGA supports motion compensation with SRS and a witmotion sensor, and that is based on Open VR. (Maybe other brands you mentioned also do that if you use SRS for motion - I haven’t researched so I can’t say)
Sharing the link there.
Cheers

Hi, that Witmotion solution provides only 3DOF motion compensation, is there another solution for 6DOF motion compensation with RS MEGA, which anybody would have succesfully implemented? OpenXR / OpenVR / Any other? Controller / Tracker based Motion compensation? With which motion software? SRS seems to be only working with Witmotion and it is limited to that at the moment.

I have this Witmotion solution with SRS at the moment, and RS MEGA+ with TL, and the heave and yaw effects are causing the flowing around the car, making it impossible to use at the moment. So better solutions are welcome.

How does Simhub differ much from Sim Racing Studio? Has someone experience of this VR motion compensation? Math based would be awesome, even it may take some time to configure properly, but after that, it doesn't take any distractions from anywhere, as it does the compensation based on ordered movements of the simulator, I suppose? Does this Simhub VR motion compensation work with all VR headsets or is this limited to some?

Or can you use Simhub to provide only the VR motion compensation and let SRS do the motion sim controlling? SRS has atleast the UDP re-transferring to other softwares after it has used data to itself for motion calculating

Based on the results in Beta it should work with all VR headsets, or at least same that SRS supports. But really can't offer much details until it's released and all specs should be made available.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back