Automobilista only shows a black screen and I have no idea how to solve it.

A while back, Automobilista broke for me and I have not been able to fix it since.
Since a video says more than some words, here is a youtube video showing the problem:
If for whatever reason the video does not show, here is a direct link.
If that still doesn't work, basically the first splash screen pops up, showing the game logo. After that things break. All I get is a black screen, whatever I do.

Things I've already tried, and didn't help (not in any particular order):
  • Reinstalled the game
  • Reinstalled Steam
  • Installed the Beta version of the game
  • Verify integrity of game files
  • Run game without DynHud
  • Run game in windowed mode
  • Run game as administrator
  • Disabled Steam overlay
  • Removed Automobilista folder from My Documents
  • Removed d3d9.dll
  • Disabled Oculus VR services
  • Reinstalled NVidia display drivers
  • Run game using Logitech G29 beta
  • Disable Dynamic Super Resolution
  • Disable Geforce Experience overlay
  • Disable Discord Overlay
  • Turned of antivirus
  • Shut down any program that may show an overlay (discord, GeForce Experience, NZXT CAM, etc)
  • Reinstalled Logitech Gaming Software
  • Installed an older version of Logitech Gaming Software
  • Run game from different types of hard drives (SSD/HDD)
  • Run the game in various compatibility modes (e.g. Windows 7, Windows 8)
My hardware
  • Windows 10
  • Intel i7 6700K
  • NVidia GTX 980 (G1 Gaming edition from Gigabyte)
  • 4x 4GB Kingston HyperX Fury RAM
  • Logitech G29
I've also run the game using -trace=2, which did not generate any log file. There are other log files in the directories, but most are empty or contain a single line except for the DynHud log file. The contents from this log file are posted below.
Code:
Process-ID: 32188
Windows version: 6.1.7601
Using parent d3d9.dll "D:\GameShield\AMS Steam\Src\d3d9_2.dll".
Game resolution: 1920x1080
Doing Handshake from D3D side...
    Successfully created a pointer to a PAGEFILE Memory Mapped File.
    Found outdated memory.
First part of Handshake successful.
Doing Handshake from Plugin side...
    Successfully created a pointer to a PAGEFILE Memory Mapped File.
    Found first part of handshake. Doing second part...
Second part of Handshake successful. Handshake complete.
Starting up DynHUD Plugin (D3D part)...
Doing a sanity check...
Sanity check passed.
Initializing DirectInput...
Successfully initialized DirectInput.
Using Java from folder "D:\GameShield\AMS Steam\Src\Plugins\DynHUD\Java".
    Loading msvcr100.dll... done.
    Loading jvm.dll... done.
Successfully loaded Java dlls.
Invoking Java VM...
JVM options:
    -Djava.library.path=D:\GameShield\AMS Steam\Src\Plugins;${system_property:java.library.path}
    -Djava.class.path=D:\GameShield\AMS Steam\Src\Plugins\DynHUD\dynhud.jar;D:\GameShield\AMS Steam\Src\Plugins\DynHUD\dynhud_gamedata.jar
    -Dworkdir=D:\GameShield\AMS Steam\Src\Plugins\DynHUD
    -Xms96m
    -Xmx96m
    -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=5
    -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy
    -Xincgc
    -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true
    -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
    -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true
    JVM properties:
        java.vm.vendor = "Oracle Corporation"
        java.vm.name = "Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM"
        java.vm.version = "25.60-b23"
        java.runtime.version = "1.8.0_60-b27"
        java.awt.graphicsenv = "sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment"
Successfully invoked Java VM.
Retrieving Java objects and methods...
Initialized logging system with log level EXHAUSTIVE.
Creating DynHUD instance Version 1.5.0-Beta (build 130)...
    Detected game "AMS" (supported).
    Creating overlay texture interface for resolution 1920x1080... done.
Loading GameEventsPlugins...
    Found plugin "net.ctdp.rfdynhud.plugins.director.DirectorPlugin".
Found and initialized 1 plugin.
Loading custom fonts...
    Loaded and registered custom font "DS-Digital".
    Loaded and registered custom font "DS-Digital Bold".
    Loaded and registered custom font "DS-Digital Italic".
    Loaded and registered custom font "DS-Digital Bold Italic".
Couldn't register font "Gotham-Bold". It is already registered.
Couldn't register font "Gotham Book". It is already registered.
Couldn't register font "Gotham-Medium".
Successfully created DynHUD instance.
Initializing input bindings...
    Bound "Keyboard::," to "FuelWidget1::DecPitstopLapAction"
    Bound "Keyboard::," to "FuelWidget1::DecPitstopFuelAction"
    Bound "Keyboard::." to "FuelWidget1::IncPitstopLapAction"
    Bound "Keyboard::." to "FuelWidget1::IncPitstopFuelAction"
    Bound "Keyboard::B" to "BrakeTempsWidget::ToggleWidgetVisibility"
    Bound "Keyboard::D" to "GLOBAL::ResetLaptimesCache"
    Bound "Keyboard::E" to "GLOBAL::ToggleFixedViewedVehicle"
    Bound "Keyboard::F" to "GLOBAL::ResetFuelConsumption"
    Bound "Keyboard::H" to "GLOBAL::TogglePlugin"
    Bound "Keyboard::M" to "MapWidget1::ToggleWidgetVisibility"
    Bound "Keyboard::S" to "GLOBAL::ResetTopSpeeds"
    Bound "Logitech G25 Racing Wheel USB::Botão 0" to "GLOBAL::IncBoost"
    Bound "Logitech G25 Racing Wheel USB::Botão 17" to "GLOBAL::TempBoost"
    Bound "Logitech G25 Racing Wheel USB::Botão 18" to "StandingsWidget1::CycleStandingsViewAction"
    Bound "Logitech G25 Racing Wheel USB::Botão 3" to "GLOBAL::DecBoost"
Finished initialization of input bindings.
Successfully retrieved Java objects and methods.
Starting up DynHUD Plugin (telemetry part)...
Successfully started up DynHUD Plugin.
Shutting down DynHUD Plugin...
Successfully shut down DynHUD Plugin.
Disposing DirectInput...
    Disposing Keyboard... Successfully disposed Keyboard.
    Disposing Joysticks... Successfully disposed Joysticks.
    Disposing DirectInput... Successfully disposed DirectInput.
Successfully disposed DirectInput.
Destroying Java VM...
Successfully destroyed Java VM.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this, or seen something similar?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Most obvious: did you run graphics and sound config (AMS Config.exe in the main folder)? That will allow you to correct something that may be monitor/refresh/resolution-related. Does it just sit on that black screen forever? Is AMS "responding" or "not responding" if you look in Task Manager (assuming you can get to it)?

If that doesn't work, delete the UserData folder from your Steam installation of AMS in addition to the Automobilista folder under Documents.

I have never heard of such a pernicious problem (you have tried just about everything!!!) with AMS.

Running AMS Config.exe and changing some settings doesn't help, and when you delete Automobilista from your My Documents folder it runs AMS Config.exe by default. I haven't removed the UserData for Automobilista from the Steam folder, which is something I'll try later today. Once the black screen shows, it basically hangs on it forever. Task manager is a bit strange, it basically shows that it's changing from not responding to active, and back again. I haven't looked at it for longer to see if it changes again after a while.

Having similar issues with an i7-4790k and an AMD R9 Fury -- running the 17.7 AMD drivers, game would run fine a week or so ago (before upgrading to the 17.7 drivers? Seems like I also ran it AFTER the driver upgrade just to see if there was any performance hit, which there didn't seem to be).

I've tried doing almost everything listed above short of reinstalling Steam (reinstalled game, verified integrity of installed files, etc.), but when I try to launch AMS my two side monitors go blank and my main screen just becomes a pixellated mess, then after several seconds Windows reboots.

Pretty sure I tried to run AMS Config.exe last night, but it wouldn't launch at all.

Also having almost the exact same problem with RaceRoom Racing Experience, Race07, and GTR2.

No problems running Assetto Corsa (which I also purchased and launch through Steam), or iRacing (I don't use Steam for iRacing).

Very odd problem. Going to try rolling back my video drivers tonight.

:(

I was wrong about running the 17.7 drivers -- I'm actually running the 17.12.1 (Adrenalin) drivers, and that's what I upgraded to last week. I just learned that the first 2 Adrenalin drivers 17.12.1 and 17.12.2 have known issues with DX9 games (crashing, artifacts..etc.):

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...alin-driver-related-issues-with-a-hotfix.html

Ironically, I think the 17.7 drivers were the last known drivers that DID work with Automobilista and RRE. Will try to roll back drivers tonight to verify.

The 18.1.1 drivers are supposed to have extensive DX9 fixes, but they reportedly don't work well with iRacing, so it's older drivers for now. No idea if the 18.1.1 drives address the problems I'm seeing with Automobilista or RRE, though.

Last edited:
I was wrong about running the 17.7 drivers -- I'm actually running the 17.12.1 (Adrenalin) drivers, and that's what I upgraded to last week. I just learned that the first 2 Adrenalin drivers 17.12.1 and 17.12.2 have known issues with DX9 games (crashing, artifacts..etc.):

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...alin-driver-related-issues-with-a-hotfix.html

Ironically, I think the 17.7 drivers were the last known drivers that DID work with Automobilista and RRE. Will try to roll back drivers tonight to verify.

The 18.1.1 drivers are supposed to have extensive DX9 fixes, but they reportedly don't work well with iRacing, so it's older drivers for now. No idea if the 18.1.1 drives address the problems I'm seeing with Automobilista or RRE, though.

It's a miracle to find a driver that works well with all sims at the same time, unfortunately. Best is usually just no major problems with any one sim and you live with the less optimal rest.

Oops -- quick update . . . looks like Automobilista IS working now with the 17.11.4 drivers. Wasn't able to launch the game config at first, but after rebooting I was able to launch it and configure the graphics, and the game now launches and runs fine.

:)

Last edited:
If multiple games aren't running you have some pretty major issues. Did you use the third party Display Driver Uninstaller when changing drivers, that gets rid 100% of it, but you need to boot to safe mode.

Not sure about the OP's problem, but my problem was directly related to the latest Adrenalin drivers from AMD (17.12.1, 17.12.2, and 18.1.1) -- all of these drivers have a DX9 bug which causes problems with DX9 games -- for Automobilista, Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends, and RaceRoom Racing Experience (RRE), all three games were unplayable. DX11 games like Assetto Corsa and iRacing ran just fine with these Adrenaline drivers, but DX9 games were rendered unusable.

Rolling-back (using DDU) to a pre-Adreanalin driver (in my case, I chose 17.11.4) completely solved my problem. All three games are now playable, and this is a bug/issue for AMD graphics users that should be noted by the developer (e.g., YOU).

;)

Not sure about the OP's problem, but my problem was directly related to the latest Adrenalin drivers from AMD (17.12.1, 17.12.2, and 18.1.1) -- all of these drivers have a DX9 bug which causes problems with DX9 games -- for Automobilista, Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends, and RaceRoom Racing Experience (RRE), all three games were unplayable. DX11 games like Assetto Corsa and iRacing ran just fine with these Adrenaline drivers, but DX9 games were rendered unusable.

Rolling-back (using DDU) to a pre-Adreanalin driver (in my case, I chose 17.11.4) completely solved my problem. All three games are now playable, and this is a bug/issue for AMD graphics users that should be noted by the developer (e.g., YOU).

;)

I have been running 17.12.1 since it came out with no issues in any title.

I have been running 17.12.1 since it came out with no issues in any title.

Interesting! What GPU are you using? I'm using an R9 Fury (non-X), and I couldn't even launch any of the DX9 games mentioned with the 17.12.1 drivers. I was able to launch and run Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends with 18.1.1, but there were lots of graphical glitches -- Automobilista and RRE wouldn't even launch.

I wonder if the DX9 issues are primarily associated with the Polaris and Vega GPUs, with the older "Islands" GPU families having better DX9 compatibility?

I occasionally have an issue where the game starts, but hangs on a black screen before the Reiza into splash screen. I learned to turn off the power switch on my Fanatec Forza CSR wheel, then AMS starts. I turn on the wheel and then I'm good. Same thing happens with PC2 and RRRE, but its very sporadic. Not sure if the Logitech wheel has a switch or if its just fanaLEDs that causes the problem. Could be completely unrelated.

I have exactly the same problem on the last few weeks and still is not solved.
If I do a clean install, all is good. Exit and enter again, config all my options, exit. Then I cannot enter anymore, I get a black screen and the sim does not launch.

Reistalled the drivers, again clean install of ams, and the same happens again, it runs in the first time, but it seems that, after create all the player´s config, the sim won´t run anymore.

The next thing to do, is a older driver installation, let´s see.

The same problem for me, It will start and work for a few hours and then a black screen like OP, I've tried everything but nothing ever works. I have the latest Nvidia drivers and everything. I've tried every solution but nothing seems to help. I do have mods install but the game has booted up with the same mods previous times, and I've made no changes and it doesn't want to load.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.