Automobilista 2 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have deployed a new update to Automobilista 2 - taking the new simulation out of Steam Early Access and into V1 status - this isn't the end of progress, merely the beginning, as plenty of extra development miles are still planned by the Brazilian studio....
  • V1 release now available
  • New trailer
  • 20% Early Access discount remains during summer sale
  • Lots of new content and features

Having undergone an incredibly intense last few weeks of development, AMS 2 is now finally out of Steam Early Access, and comes packed with tons of new content, features and improvements over previous builds of the simulation.

From the release notes:

After a gruelling 3 months of work since its first Early Access release, we are thrilled to finally bring you the official release of Automobilista 2!

We are also happy to say we have also fulfilled the majority of the goals we had set out to achieve during Early Access, and the little bits that are still due should not take much longer. The official release of course does not mean the game is done - as we keep stressing AMS2 is a long-term project which will continue to see major game updates covering every front of development and bundles of new cars and tracks (free and paid) being released in a monthly basis all the way to the end of the year and beyond - the V1 milestone is all but the end of the beginning, a solid baseline upon which we will continue to build on for a long time.

With release time coinciding with the Steam Summer sale we have elected to keep the current 20% Early Access discount embedded in the pricing for a few more weeks. Not only that - with Hockenheimring scheduled to be our first DLC soon, everyone who bought the Game in Early Access or comes to buy it before the end of the Steam Summer Sale will receive the Hockenheimring DLC (which includes 1977, 1988 and 2001 historical versions) for free!

Important Notes:
  • If you already had the game in Early Access please delete your local MyDocs/Automobilista 2 folder to reset your configurations to avoid issues with this release.
  • The Stock Car 2020 series, Bathurst and championship mode as very late additions to this release and are still considered WIP
  • As previously announced, the Early Access Time Trial boards will be reset with this v1.0 release, but this may take a few hours to propagate.
There should be complementary builds tomorrow and Friday to wrap up a few loose ends on this release, but nothing that should greatly deter your enjoyment!

Below is the full V0.9.7.0 - V1.0.0 CHANGELOG:

CONTENT - NEW TRACKS

• Added Bathurst Track
  • Added Brasilia Track (2 layouts)
  • Added Granja Viana kart track (4 layouts)
  • Added Cascais Portugal Track
CONTENT - NEW CARS
  • Added Stock Car 2020 Series
  • Added Copa Montana series
  • Added Opala Stock Cars 1979 Season
  • Added 2018 Camaro SS to Street Cars Series
  • Added F-Retro Gen1 Series (also featuring official Brabham BT44, Lotus 72E, Mclaren M23 Grand Prix cars)
  • Added Ginetta G55 GT4 Supercup Series
  • Added Ginetta G58 prototype to P1 Class
GENERAL
  • Added DRS rules for F-Ultimate & F-Reiza series ( valid only for tracks with DRS zones - Azure, Kansai, Interlagos, Montreal and Spielberg)
  • Reduced fraction of a lap that invalidates the next one if driver goes off track in Time Trial mode
  • Provisionally set pit speed limit to 120 km/h & added pit speed limiter for all historical cars to minimise potential issues in initial release (may revisit this later for historical accuracy when required features for proper functionality is coded in)
  • Reduced distance required for AI to pick up speed leaving pits
  • Removed stop-go from first speeding penalty
  • Reduced stop-go penalty from speeding penalty a 2nd Time
  • Doubled speed tolerance for temporarily going over speed limit
  • Reduced pitstop time penalty from hitting crew or wrong area
  • Reduced slowdown time to pay track limit penalty
  • Corrected F-V10 pit speed limit
  • Increased time to remove player from session when black-flagged
UI & HUD
  • Fixed Old Stock info to display correct number of gears
  • Corrected Jacarepagua Historic length info
  • Corrected Copa Montana Gearbox information
  • Added missing ibarra HUD trackmap
PHYSICS
  • Added DRS functionality to AJR Chevy V8, Sigma P1, F-Reiza, F-Ultimate
  • Added parameter for blending Physx & original physics for vehicle collisions with walls (hopefully eliminating "sticky wall" effect)
  • Front and rear wings for all formula cars now detatch with damage
  • Slightly reduced draft effects
  • Further revisions to adhesive friction curve with velocity & minor tread adjustments for all tyres (dry & wet)
  • Slightly increased load stiffness with tyre pressure for F-Ultimate, F-Reiza, F-V10, GT, Prototype classes
  • Increased front tyre sidewall stiffness for Stock Car, Ultima Race, Sprint Race & all prototypes for better compliance & less bouncing at high speed
  • Stiffened up default SuperV8 suspension rates
  • Fixed Metalmoro AJR excessive brake duct cooling
  • Revised aero & suspension damage properties for cars that still had provisional values
  • Fully revised kart physics & AI (all classes)
  • Further callibration of AI throttle application
  • Minor adjustments to P3, P4, Super V8, F-Vee, Copa Fusca, Copa Uno, Opala 1979 & Old Stock tyres
  • Decreased brake fade when below optimal temperature
  • Adjusted default steering lock for Karts, F-Vee
  • Revised F-Vintage & F-Retro V12 engine torque curves
  • Removed onboard brake bias and adjustable roll bars for cars that shouldnt have it
  • Slightly inreased base tyre carcass load stiffness for
  • Minor tyre tread adjustments to F-Retro, GT4 tyre treads
  • Lowered FFB smoothing for F-Trainer, F-Vintage, MCR
  • Lowered brake heating for steel brakes
  • Slightly increased SuperV8 downforce
  • Fixed minor innacuracies in F-Ultimate & F-Trainer tyre diameter
  • Reduced Camaro SS tolerance for shifting without clutch
  • Adjusted suspension damage thresholds
  • Adjusted Sigma diffuser aero
  • Fixed Opala Old Stock engine (now uses proper 300 HP variant)
  • Reduced ARC Camaro default steering ratio
  • Moved Fusca default brake bias slightly rearwards
AI
  • Improved AI throttle application logic so it differs from slow to mid & high speed corners (less hesitation exiting those corners)
  • Enabled different throttle, brake and line accuracy ranges according to AI driver skill (custom AI drivers per series to better explore these ranges still to be added)
  • Reduced range for AI drivers to stray off ideal line & smoothed transitions when exploring different lines
  • Adjusted AI damper rates to avoid bouncing / rolling over higher curbs
  • Further increased AI Strength range (slower @ 70%, faster @ 120%) for all cars
  • Slightly increased AI willingness to condede position when overtaken
  • Adjusted AI speed under blue flag / off track / damaged car
  • Reduced maximum AI lateral offset from ideal line
AUDIO
  • Adjusted surface sound gain (prevent crackling on limiter)
  • Disabled automatic toggling of headphone downmix mode.
  • Fixed error where 4.0 channel configuration in windows resulted in 5.1 mixing mode in-game
  • Placed limiter on surface sound bus .
  • Limiter in stereo output mode is controlled from game code; output set to -6dB to avoid possible output overloading
  • .F-Vintage: Updated gear change sound
  • Ultima GTR (both versions) adjusted gearchange sound volume.
  • Adjusted engine sound position & gearbox sound position for all cars (gearshifts should no longer be offset to the side)
  • Fixed "moving" shift sounds on multiple open wheelers
  • Improved Caterham Academy engine loops
  • Improved loops on several 4-cylinder Duratec engine sounds
TRACKS
  • Updated trackside advertising for international tracks
  • Updated 3D grass shader
  • Updated road shader
  • Disabled 3D grass rendering in rear view mirrors
  • Adjusted far fog climate values (adds a little more haze to the horizon)
  • Imola: Fixed transparent trees
  • Kyalami Historic: Improved AI fast line
  • Revised trackside TV cameras for Adelaide, Adelaide Historic, Interlagos, VeloCittá
  • Fixed bug with Ortona crowds
  • Fixed Azure map coordinates
  • Added ambient reverb to new tracks that still didn´t have them
VEHICLES
  • Added wiper animations and cockpit vibrations for Metalmoro AJR, Sigma P1, Opala (all variantes)
  • Added DRS wing animation for F-Ultimate, F-Reiza, Sigma P1, AJR Chevy & Honda Turbo
  • Added suspension animation for F-Ultimate, F-Reiza, F-V10, F-V12, F-Vee
  • Adjusted driver model & animations for Ultima GTR, AJR, ARC Camaro, Puma GTE, F-Classic G1M2, G3M2
  • Corrected bugs in 3D animations of F-Vintage, F-Trainer
  • Adjusted MRX collision mesh
  • Revised backfire logic for all cars that have it (less backfiring in upshifts, more in downshifts / lifting)
  • Increased headlight range at night for all cars
  • Fixed duplicated Uno in Copa Classic B
  • Adjusted upper driver model LOD switching (fixes the driver appearing to "duck" as car approaches TV cam)
  • Fixed RPM bar / lights for G55, Opala
  • Improved Vertex AO for F-Classic tyres
  • Added batch of new liveries for Kart GX390
Original Source: Reiza Studios

Automobilista 2 is available now, exclusive to PC.

Want help getting the best out of the simulation? Start a thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let the community help you out!
AMS 2 1.jpg
AMS 2 release footer.jpg

Last edited:
This is probably related to...

...this

The snappy oversteer is really what turns this sim in to a simcade imo. Would really like this to away but I doubt it :( Still hoping for a positive surprise in the future.

Take a look at this video 4 minutes in you can see the SCV8 bounce of the ground several times, this is not how suspension works, quite the opposite, it's suppose to prevent this from happening.

If you want to test a more extreme example of this for yourself, take a P3 car around Cadwell Park. Get up to speed and strange things will happen in turn 3 and 5.

I'm glad that so many of you are enjoying AMS2, I just wish I could enjoy it too.
Ever since the release of EA I felt that there was something off with the physics in AMS2. Many things got sorted up to this point but there are still things I would love to see get some attention. Like the wobbly suspension mentioned above and the feeling that the car pivots around an axel when you turn, very much like the Shift games but maybe a bit less extreme.
Also the FFB is not to my liking on my G27. I can get it to feel mediocre at best but that's about it and when I switch to another car I have to start fiddling with the FFB settings again. Should not have to change the FFB for every car, things like this will unfortunately keep me away from AMS2.

I really really wanted AMS2 to be my next go to sim as I ditched rf2 a couple of moths ago for reasons I won't go in to here, but at this point I will stick to ACC for my GT3 fix and AMS1 for everything else.

But with so many positive reviews I still want to congratulate Reiza on the release, I guess this one just isn't for me.
I agree with most of what you say but it's a function of the core physics engine itself in my opinion because some of these traits (not all) are present in other ISI/Rfactor/ProjectCars physics engine based games like Project Cars, F1 Ch 99-02, RF2, even the NFS Shift games, etc. I still see that there's a multiple-decades-long issue still standing in AMS2 where it's often as if there's an invisible force pulling the car's front-end into the corner. This can happen at any stage of the corner: entry, mid, exit. In real life, the car's inertia wants to always make the car go straight or towards the outside of the corner while turning but in ISI/RF/PC physics land it's like there's an invisible force that sometimes over-powers the force of inertia and makes the car keep turning into the corner sharper and sharper. It does seem improved from previous iterations of the engine so that's a good thing but it's still there.

I agree, oversteer looks very unnatural too and still quite on/off and just "gamey" in general. I see so much oversteer being saved by just returning the wheel back to centre (or a touch past) rather than actual getting the car's rear to rotate in an angle relative to the vehicle's direction of travel (ie. the car continues on it's path towards the outside of the corner while the rear swings out and points the front towards the inside should be happening). Then, the oversteer often suddenly just ends out of nowhere rather than the wheelspin and slip-angle being modulated & controlled by the driver's pedal & throttle inputs.

There also seems to be times when the vehicle starts to oversteer and the vehicle seems like it's simply not responding to any driver inputs...then, because the vehicle doesn't seem to be responding, the driver adds more input (ie. even bigger throttle-lift or even more opposite lock) and then it's like the car suddenly "wakes up" and finally starts responding to driver inputs. But, since you've now added extra inputs to compensate for the inputs not previously having any effect, the car now suddenly snap-re-grips and often this leads into a snap overcorrect (the snap-overcorrect can be saved easily if you drive these sims often and are used to this behavior but that's besides the point). Like the point above, this does seem to be slightly improved compared to previous generation games based on this engine or it's "cousins."

What you're saying about the weird, unnatural point/axis on which the rear seems to be rotating about is probably related to what I'm trying to describe.

I've been saying it for years, it doesn't matter if it's U.I, sound, physics, graphics, damage model, etc. only so much can be done if you're essentially making content for an existing engine rather than developing and evolving/advancing that engine (like iRacing does a lot, and Kunos too to a lesser extent). Until that happens, these unnatural behaviors will remain as they've remained in one form or another going back many years.

I'm also happy people are enjoying AMS2 and genuinely wish Reiza success but I just wish they spent much more time, money, resources into digging deep into the coding of the physics engine, damage engine, sound engine, and less time on all the content (many great cars and tracks).

The game engine is the woman, the content is the makeup and clothes. You can only do so much with makeup & clothes to try and hide, fix, improve, or compensate for the actual woman herself. You can even clone a woman (another game using the same engine) and put much different clothes & makeup (game content) on the other one but you'll still eventually notice they're both the same woman underneath it all.

Last edited:
Like a lot of people, I just jumped into this game with the official release. Yesterday, after buying it, I only had half an hour to test it: the first impression wasn't good, probably because I chose some unlucky track/cars combinations. I had the impression that it looked and felt too much like PC2.

Today, I came back to it, with the idea that probably this game in its current state wasn't for me and with refunding in my mind. I spent one more hour testing it and now my opinion changed drastically. I had a blast trying some of the cars (sprint race, fiat uno, the old impala, the Ginetta G4 super cup and some of the prototypes). I tweaked the FFB a little bit and some of the settings and now I love how it feels. So I will stick with it. It looks and runs superb. This definetly has the potential of becoming one of the best sims in the near future if Reiza keeps working to tune and improve it.

Yes, I do TV cameras for some of the tracks. I hope it helps to convince you the track was done from scratch. And a lot of hard work went into it. Not by me, the track team. They deserve the kudos.

Cool. No need to convince - I was just speculating and because to me it'd be great if they
could add more tracks in the future, more popular tracks similar to what PC 2 has. Since
Reiza is adding some classic tracks like Mount Panorama, Spa, Silverstone and probably
Nords, I was just being optimistc wanting more. Thanks for your input.

Yes, I do TV cameras for some of the tracks. I hope it helps to convince you the track was done from scratch. And a lot of hard work went into it. Not by me, the track team. They deserve the kudos.

I hope VR TV cams are in the works. It is my biggest disappointment right now is the lackluster VR replay system.

Finally spent a bit more time with AMS2 release version tonight, doing some MP races and such.

I honestly don't see where all the criticism/complaining is coming from. It doesn't feel like PC2 at all IMO, it feels like improved AMS1. There are certainly things that need polishing, and the dedicated server apparently is not the best to work with at this point, but nothing major stands out to me.

I had some issues with the FFB before release, as the constant re-adjusting by Reiza has not always felt like an improvement to me, but I've started completely from scratch with the final release version (completely removed the settings folder) and out of the box, it feels spot on. The only thing that needs a bit more adjusting is the FFB gain between cars, as there are some inconsistencies still.

I've replayed that part multiple times and if you're talking about the left rear wheel in particular, I'm pretty sure the issue with that shot is not that the wheel is bouncing off the ground, but rather the car model is not properly aligned with the visual track surface and/or its own shadow, which at that extreme angle creates the illusion that the wheel is not touching the track.
If you look closely, you'll notice that there seems to be a gap between the wheel and the track for the whole duration of that shot, not just during the "bounce". But if you ignore that visual gap, the wheel acts as if it was in contact with the track surface throughout the shot, it doesn't seem to bounce or anything (unlike both right wheels). Same applies to the left front wheel, but we only see that one for a brief moment.
You might be right in this instance but you can't ignore the fact that the cars are bouncing excessively in AMS2.
It's like the only thing working on the suspension are the spring, like they forgot to fill the damper with oil.

@DEIC Such comparison is pointless, though. You are comparing two different games. There are other explanations for that, and we can't possibly know what the truth is. It might just as well be the case of PC2 tracks being less detailed/bumpy or the PC2 suspension/car not responding as it should. There might be countless other reasons. We don't even know if the arbitrary number of the world movement setting is comparable between the games.

But if you want to go with the explanation that the developers that just made an entire new complex game don't really know how to use the engine they built said game in because a camera shakes a bit more than in a different game on the same engine, then...sure, I guess. To me it kinda sounds like a Michelin-star chef not knowing how to make hard boiled eggs properly, but, I mean, it might happen I guess.

Man, you are smart, but AMS 2 does have some real problems with suspension, and that might actually be causing some of the camera annoyances people are having. Just as some other people have said, it's wobbly and it never feels like any of the cars can be made "rigid", always having some weird suspension travel and feeling soft.

Also, a test I like to make with some sims is too apply excessive steering, where the car will understeer and go almost in the direction it was traveling. With the Formula Ultimate I couldn't replicate that, causing always oversteer, wich I don't think is right and where some of the handling nuances not really describable to me, but felt from other well regard sims, don't even compare.

@Martin Fiala It's strange how we can all have such huge different opinions in the world of sim racing, like we're all playing different sims.
Not saying you're wrong, if that's how you perceive the game than that's how you perceive it. I just wish I did too and could join the fun.
I agree with most of what you say but it's a function of the core physics engine itself in my opinion because some of these traits (not all) are present in other ISI/Rfactor/ProjectCars physics engine based games like Project Cars, F1 Ch 99-02, RF2, even the NFS Shift games, etc. I still see that there's a multiple-decades-long issue still standing in AMS2 where it's often as if there's an invisible force pulling the car's front-end into the corner. This can happen at any stage of the corner: entry, mid, exit. In real life, the car's inertia wants to always make the car go straight or towards the outside of the corner while turning but in ISI/RF/PC physics land it's like there's an invisible force that sometimes over-powers the force of inertia and makes the car keep turning into the corner sharper and sharper. It does seem improved from previous iterations of the engine so that's a good thing but it's still there.

I agree, oversteer looks very unnatural too and still quite on/off and just "gamey" in general. I see so much oversteer being saved by just returning the wheel back to centre (or a touch past) rather than actual getting the car's rear to rotate in an angle relative to the vehicle's direction of travel (ie. the car continues on it's path towards the outside of the corner while the rear swings out and points the front towards the inside should be happening). Then, the oversteer often suddenly just ends out of nowhere rather than the wheelspin and slip-angle being modulated & controlled by the driver's pedal & throttle inputs.

There also seems to be times when the vehicle starts to oversteer and the vehicle seems like it's simply not responding to any driver inputs...then, because the vehicle doesn't seem to be responding, the driver adds more input (ie. even bigger throttle-lift or even more opposite lock) and then it's like the car suddenly "wakes up" and finally starts responding to driver inputs. But, since you've now added extra inputs to compensate for the inputs not previously having any effect, the car now suddenly snap-re-grips and often this leads into a snap overcorrect (the snap-overcorrect can be saved easily if you drive these sims often and are used to this behavior but that's besides the point). Like the point above, this does seem to be slightly improved compared to previous generation games based on this engine or it's "cousins."

What you're saying about the weird, unnatural point/axis on which the rear seems to be rotating about is probably related to what I'm trying to describe.

I've been saying it for years, it doesn't matter if it's U.I, sound, physics, graphics, damage model, etc. only so much can be done if you're essentially making content for an existing engine rather than developing and evolving/advancing that engine (like iRacing does a lot, and Kunos too to a lesser extent). Until that happens, these unnatural behaviors will remain as they've remained in one form or another going back many years.

I'm also happy people are enjoying AMS2 and genuinely wish Reiza success but I just wish they spent much more time, money, resources into digging deep into the coding of the physics engine, damage engine, sound engine, and less time on all the content (many great cars and tracks).

The game engine is the woman, the content is the makeup and clothes. You can only do so much with makeup & clothes to try and hide, fix, improve, or compensate for the actual woman herself. You can even clone a woman (another game using the same engine) and put much different clothes & makeup (game content) on the other one but you'll still eventually notice they're both the same woman underneath it all.

I am your biggest fan man! Ahah

Kind of joking, but I am with you when it comes to the flaws with the ISI engine and further modifications/iterations. It's really apparent with trail breaking.

I was enjoying Rfactor 2 until I started to notice that problem, and it really annoyed me. What made me awake to it was driving beamng at the time. That game does have some serious weight transfer and inertia dynamics for sure.

Now I am mostly happy with AC, but it also has it's flaws of course. ACC I do think it really is the closest simulation I've seen, judging from videos of gt3, even to the grip dynamics and it scared me.

Man, you are smart, but AMS 2 does have some real problems with suspension, and that might actually be causing some of the camera annoyances people are having. Just as some other people have said, it's wobbly and it never feels like any of the cars can be made "rigid", always having some weird suspension travel and feeling soft.
I have to take your word for it, because, again, I just don't notice anything like that. But I am also very ignorant when it comes to car handling "feel" in sims and I'm basically limited to "feels good and reasonable" or "feels weird and wrong", so once people start talking about how the physics are completely off and ruined because the tyre is flexing 5 mm less than it should, I just shrug and walk away, because I have little to add to their conversation.

AMS2, to me, sits completely in the "feels good and reasonable" category at a level close to where AMS1 is, sometimes even higher because it feels more "natural" than AMS1 (where "natural" means "what I would expect a car like that being driven like that feels and handles like"). I'm not noticing any real problems with suspension being wobbly as far as I can tell.

I have to take your word for it, because, again, I just don't notice anything like that. But I am also very ignorant when it comes to car handling "feel" in sims and I'm basically limited to "feels good and reasonable" or "feels weird and wrong", so once people start talking about how the physics are completely off and ruined because the tyre is flexing 5 mm less than it should, I just shrug and walk away, because I have little to add to their conversation.

AMS2, to me, sits completely in the "feels good and reasonable" category at a level close to where AMS1 is, sometimes even higher because it feels more "natural" than AMS1 (where "natural" means "what I would expect a car like that being driven like that feels and handles like"). I'm not noticing any real problems with suspension being wobbly as far as I can tell.

Yes, I understand what you mean and I do find myself being certainly excessively exigent with how much accuracy on the physics and FFB I expect. But, even in the simulations I do prefer I find myself doing that, I am guilty of jumping around almost all of them and find the one that seems the least annoying . I think AMS2 really annoyed my concept of what I expect from a SIM and don't understand why some of the suspension problems can't be resolved, as to me it's really apparent no top sim does that kind of behavior.

I do find myself attracted to the game and wanted it to be great and maybe they can fix the problems. I had to refund in EA and I tested 1.0 by "other" means, because I really wanted to see how it felt now. I own a good collection of sims on Steam, like AMS. AMS is great, but it's plagued by another issue I have with ISI engine.

have to say that rfactor 2 physics and ai are definitely best out there and the graphics are good. maybe the only game where you can race with ai and not just hotlapping or multiplayer.ams2 f1 are ok to drive but another cars have wierd understeer effect like pc2.

Fairbanks_ABGF

Is that gasoline I smell?
I have been driving more cars in AMS2 and overall been spending a little more time on it, and I (kind of) agree. I don't know if i should call it "PCars 2 understeer effect" because I never played any Pcars title, but especially the Formula Classic cars exhibit behaviour that I would probably characterize as such. Especially in slow corners, 2nd gear speed, when you turn in, you have to feather the throttle to keep the car from going straight, but just a tiny bit more throttle will almost spin the car around, even though there is no turbo pressure and no power. And then you get off the throttle completely, and the car just plows straight on. Playing with the throttle in corners feels like driving a car with a spool diff. Coasting at slow speed will just push you to the outside. And I don't know what's the problem. The front feels weightless in these situations (even when braking for a turn-in), and the rear feels like it's forcing you to keep both rear wheels at the same speed.

HOWEVER: This doesn't feel as bad when in the V12, or V10, or in the little F3 cars, or at least to a much lesser extent. Also, It feels as if this issue is not as present in the non-open wheelers.

Overall I'm enjoying the game very much, but that specific problem and the fact that there is no clutch/choke simulation in some cars is driving me insane :D. But I've never sat down in an actual 80s F1 car, so I will not judge whether that is right or wrong, it just feels different to any other simulated similar car from other titles.

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 86 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 121 27.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 72 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 43 9.7%