Automobilista 2 | Early Access Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios have today deployed the first official Early Access build for their new Automobilista 2 racing simulation.

It's here folks! A new build of the much anticipated Automobilista 2, now publicly available in Steam Early Access has landed!

Release announcement in full:

Automobilista 2 is finally here! We are very excited to be able to share what we have been working on all this time.

Please note that as an Early Access release the game is not yet complete - Time Trial & Championship mode are currently disabled but should become available over the first few weeks of Early Access.

Below are some further known common issues and limitations of:this initial release:
  • UI & HUD are still deep in development, and currently feature the essentials for all game modes to work - this will be expanded with new options & features over the course of EA, with same pages being completely redesigned.
  • Early Access is exclusively in English for the time being; Localization to other languages should only be added in time for the full Release.
  • Driver names, suits and helmets are generic for all series as the whole system is being reestructured (also part of requirements for a revamped Opponents settings and the Custom Championship Tool);
  • All 3D driver animations are still placeholders and may not fully fit the car yet;
  • Other Car-related 3D animations have not been exported which mean suspension arms are graphically static, damage is very limited and wiper are not operational
  • Some series still have WIP or placeholder liveries - these will be updated or expanded over the course of Early Access

The are many other substantial updates to every front of the game planned for Automobilista 2 throughout Early Access and beyond - we´ll be posting regular updates to inform what´s coming up the pipeline as we progress.

AMS 2 EA Release.jpg

FORCE FEEDBACK

Default FFB settings are designed for Logitech G2X series - if you have wheels with stronger motors you should scale those settings down to avoid clipping.

A more detailed guide for FFB settings will follow up soon.

AMS 2 EA Release 2.jpg

FOR THOSE WITH AMS2 BETA INSTALLED

Upon this release AMS2 BETA owners will have two AMS2 apps in their Steam library - the Beta and this Main Release.

Both apps will be the same as of tonight and for the next few days until the next AMS2 Beta update (which may or may not be also deployed to AMS2 Main depending on the importance of the updates).

If you are an exclusively offline racer there is no reason to install the Main Release of AMS2 - you may continue using exclusively AMS2 Beta. If however you plan to race online or run Time Trial mode when it becomes available with non-Beta users, you must install the Main Release.

If you have further questions about AMS2, please make sure to check on our AMS2 FAQ here

Remember folks, although the simulation has moved from closed beta status, the title is still very much in Early Access state. Don't load up expecting a fully realised and finished title just yet, but I'm sure you will agree with me that the road to V1 status is going to be an exciting journey...

AMS 2 is available now via Steam Early Access.

Having trouble with the game? Post a new thread in the AMS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and our exceptional community will help you out!

Last edited:
Nice Video but it would be nice to have other sponsors besides ever straight, corner and over head with either Reiza or Automobilista banners everywhere. I know they are supporting the game, but to to me it's over the top, it's just my thought.
IMO the graphics on the Adelaide track are at a level distinctly above what most (if not all) of the other tracks I’ve tried seem to be. This lends support to the idea that there may be a lot of unfinished/unoptimized placeholders currently in use for the graphics. There’s no reason to think that the banners, billboards, and advertisements would be any different.

I’m gonna throw my 2 cents into the mix with a video I created yesterday on Automobilista 2. Totally my opinion on why I think we should all have a little patience.

The F3 car is what has me worried. The F3 car at Taruma was my go to combo for Game Stock Car (or Automobilista). It's not just a lack of grip which worries me but where it loses it, how it loses it and how it regains it. It just feels wrong and completely different from GSC. Now the question is, can they fix it without completely rewriting the tire model? I would have thought Reiza would have sure that they could get the tire model correct before paying a cent to SMS.

I'm fine with having patience as $33 isn't a whole lot to spend (I'm glad I didn't spend over $100usd), but my concerns with going with the PCars2 tire model haven't been alleviated yet and I haven't even started looking at wet weather physics yet.

Is it me, or does the braking feel different today? They seem to be a bit more sensitive. I can still manage them, though I did / do have to adjust my technique to accommodate the new feel. I also reset my max brake setting in the wheel property app. I'm pretty sure it's different now. Am I loosing it guys? This was with the Roco. I believe that car was updated, I'd have to check. Actually, I felt it with the F3 and the Sprint as well. Talk to me guys.

Also, saw a Lobby that featured the Ultima at Adelaide. Sounds like a good match. Didn't join because every session I try to join boots me out eventually. Less than a minute. Plus, all the other cars are just stationary on track at various locations. Weird. My ping can't be that bad.

Hey guys, in all the latest clips you posted I've not seen yet a pedals input graphic... has this been
implemented or is it missing? Very important piece of detail for me. If unavailable, is there any
SimHub overlay which is compatible with AMS 2 and works fine?
No implemented at the moment, but SimHub works just fine. Any overlay that has pedal inputs should work. I posted a small pedal input overlay widget earlier.

Is it me, or does the braking feel different today? They seem to be a bit more sensitive.
Have you read the changelog? ;)

Do you think the “Electronics” category in the vehicle selection screen is currently trustworthy? I noticed last night that the F-V10 does not have TC listed while the AJR does. Those being the opposite of how things were in AMS 1.

Overall, I’ve been running with driving assists allowed=off and I’m wondering if that would actually disable or “globally defeat” traction control on cars that are supposed to have it.

At present it’s kind of hard to tell how things are supposed to be functioning when the car listing info is questionable and the TC and ABS settings are currently active with non-zero values by default for every single car.

Perhaps now they can work on the velcro walls. :roflmao:
I'll gladly keep the velcro walls if somebody will lock the race director away in a room. This is currently my biggest fear specific to the game engine. That we won't be able to disable or "turn down" the track limits behavior.

I certainly hope you won't be able to do either. People need to learn to observe track limits, as pretty much every single online race shows.
In an ideal world you would only have a lap disallowed if you were short cutting the track or otherwise gaining an advantage by going outside track limits. Realistically, having a game try to decide what constitutes an innocent “off” vs what gains an advantage may be a bit much to ask. I do, however, think it might be somewhat possible.

Say I have an off in sector 1, and I end up completing sector 1 slower than my previous one or two or [x] laps with no off-track events. Why does that lap, or especially the subsequent lap, need to be disallowed? I can’t have gained an advantage if I completed the sector slower, can I?

I especially think the current track limit behavior should be able to be turned off or reduced if you’re lapping by yourself in a test session. I can maybe see where disallowing the “current lap” with the off event might make the decision making more consistent or just easier for the game to process. I absolutely see no reason at all why subsequent laps need to be disallowed when you’re the only one on track. The only circumstance where disallowing subsequent lap times makes sense to me is a qualifying session with other cars on track. Time trial mode should obviously not allow any track limit exceptions.

Last edited:
@BillGuy I don't understand the logic of not having track limits on practice. What is the point of practicing under different rules than do apply during a race? Apart from supporting you in creating bad habits, I mean.

Next lap is only discarded if you have an off-track in the last sector I believe. It's to prevent people from getting an advantage on entering the next lap. Ideally it would do it like Raceroom does where it only applies to the last corner or its general idea, but I still don't see the problem.

It's a level playing field anyway. There are track limits, and people tend to disregard them (Hockenheim T1 is a great example of how bad it can get), so the rules are fairly strict, but fair and equal for everyone. Learn to race within track limits and you'll never have an issue (outside of a bug, which should be reported and will be fixed).

@BillGuy I don't understand the logic of not having track limits on practice. What is the point of practicing under different rules than do apply during a race? Apart from supporting you in creating bad habits, I mean.

It’s simple really, how can you know whether or not you’re pushing the limits if you never go off track to some degree or another? Maybe you’re skilled enough to always creep up on the limit “from underneath” but I sure as heck am not. I’d be willing to bet a substantial percentage of sim drivers aren’t either.

Next lap is only discarded if you have an off-track in the last sector I believe. It's to prevent people from getting an advantage on entering the next lap. Ideally it would do it like Raceroom does where it only applies to the last corner or its general idea, but I still don't see the problem.

That does make sense, thanks for pointing it out.

I certainly hope you won't be able to do either. People need to learn to observe track limits, as pretty much every single online race shows.
Actually, I didn't mean to "Like" that comment. It isn't about observing track limits, however, it is very nice of you to assume we are not doing so. Have you ever watched a V8 race at Adelaide? There is wall brushing from time to time. It happens. The difference between this game and RL is that the game punishes you more. Thank you for your assumptions.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.