Assetto Corsa v0.6

0.6 notes from Kunos..
So, it's that day of the month again and a new update is ready.

Let's have a look at todays "particular" update.
As you might have guessed, we won't release any new cars or tracks today. We understand that this might be a bit of a let down for some of you, but then again we have already released 35 cars and their upgrades and 12 tracks... considering AC's physics engine depth, I'm sure there's more to explore than simply jumping from one car to the other.
So what's in this new update? Lot's of core work to make AC better, some of it very evident, some of it under the surface but very important.

First of all we are enabling AI Quick Races for all cars, all tracks. You can select whatever car you like, whatever track you like and whatever number of opponents (up to the track limits). Most importantly you can select different opponents to race against. Multi-class, multi-era, multi-performances, multi-whatever.. err...no scratch that, multiplayer is not ready yet (we're working on it, you know we do!).

So this is very important, we worked very hard to enable all cars and all tracks to enable the AI. Tons of data to process, but we didn't just stopped there. We have laid out the ground to build a better AI that understands better the intentions of the player. On some cars you might see a better behaviour, on some others more or less the same, but the work is there and slowly we will update all of them. Your feedback is valuable and that's what early access is all about, so thank you in advance!

What's next? Collisions. You can lean on your opponents now, bump door against door, push and get pushed and the experience should be far better. Most importantly no more landmines and you can go over high kerbs with far more realistic behaviour. That also permits us to make the terrain collisions more accurate and this means more setup work for you, as you might need to make the setup stiffer, user bumpstops, or raise the car height to make sure the car is not bottoming out. If you hear strange scraping noises and experience unexpected spins on fast turns, it might mean that your old setup was way too low... AC is getting more mature and this means that it requests from you the drivers, more skills and more setup work. We are sure you're going to have fun limiting bottoming, without affecting car balance

Sound engine. We have worked on the sound engine to improve the sound of the opponents cars in AI races as well as taking advantage of 5.1 systems. It's been quite an extensive work, way too long to describe, but let us know what you think and if you find any bugs.

As usual lot's of little fixes, bug hunting and optimisations as usual, but also new much requested features like steering wheel hiding, look behind, smoke rendering on mirrors with on/off option, penalties system selectable from UI and more. We are listening the community and working out all the small little details, one by one.

Last but not least, a very important and very complicated theme module management for the UI. What does that means? Modders can now write their plugins and connect them inside the User Interface (like the amazing "Rivali" suite). Theme modules are then saved inside the username/documents/assetto corsa folder. This is very important, as we can update the user interface everytime we think necessary and users will not lose their installed mods and UI modifications (if made following our guidelines). Also, users can now select which UI mods can enable from Options/General menu. There is also an example with documentation for modders. This is far more important than it might seem, and opens the door to modders to create amazing applications that work seamlessly inside Assetto Corsa User Interface.

Hope you have fun with this new update, looking forward to hear your feedback.

The Assetto Corsa development team

Last edited:
I have to say I really like the ai. yes they are too aggressive in lap one but I would rather that then a procession like we see in most games. I find as long as you don't continue like it a hotlap when you see a lockup or some ai action up ahead and be prepared to take avoiding action it allows for a really great race.

In some combos AI's drive great! But in others they are just impossible ... i found it very bad in Imola and Mugello (the ones i tryed at first) ... but they seem to drive better on Monza and Silverstone ... the FPS drops are also very different from car to car ... F40 is the one i felt most impact ... its very difficult to make a fair review cause all behave very different depending in what combo you are driving

EDIT: making good AI's on every situations sounds a very demanding and difficult job ... maybe thats why no developer succeded yet ...

Last edited:
Do we still have start from the back of the grid ? If so I am not even trying this.
Yes you do still have to start at the back, they have enabled "Quick Race" not "Race Weekend" ( which has a practise and qualifying session, before the main race) those 4 special events they added in the 0.5 update. they have enabled the mode that those events used. ( which if you knew how, you could use on 0.5)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically all they have done (or claimed to have done) is added the AI for the rest of the cars (they had the AI for half the cars on the last update)
There is no AI for tracks. AI is applied to cars, not stationary things. all they use to navigate is the " ideal driving line" plus their pre-set " AI line" (which you can see if you activate the DEV APPS down the right hand side and look at the "racing line setup" app)

On the last update you could take any of the "working" AI cars and use them on any track and they behaved perfectly fine. so this talk of track AI is nonsense, If they JUST added track AI how come the working cars could make it round any/all tracks perfectly fine before.. If cars are crashing between themselves, it simply means they havent got the AI tweaked just right for that car, it has nothing to do with the tracks.
You could activate Quickrace in the last update (if you knew how) and if you tried adding one of the cars that didnt YET have AI made for it, this is the exact behaviour they did . So if cars are still going mental all over the place, or all crashing into each other/ or walls then it means the AI isnt done right for that car.. Any of the cars used in the special events of the last update should work perfectly fine on any track ( hence why the fiat abarths work great,) And thats also why i was able to make a new special event which used KTM X-bows @ magione, on the last update
---------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait for them to fully integrate Race weekend. You can access it already ( you could since 0.5 update) but qualifying isnt made yet, so if you try doing a qualify all the AI cars just sit there, they do not drive (coz they dont know they are supposed to), but as soon as they add qualifying (properly) then i can start making Race weekend events ( i already know how to do it and have already made a test one) but as i said before the AI does not drive anywhere so you always come first in qualify and always sit at the front of the grid for the race..

Has anyone found out how to make races longer than 10 laps? They seem to have hardcoded it somehow (I guess to make sure AI won't run out of fuel, but you can always turn off fuel use completely), no matter what I change in the various files I always end up with ten laps - and it's in the longer races that the AI starts to shine; the first two laps usually being just tooth-and-nail battles it's only later that things get much better :)

While it is set as a max of 10 laps via the menus, it wont be hard coded, there will be a file you can edit to change that. it should be completely possible to do any amount of laps you like.. we have seen the Tatuus abarths run out of fuel during a race coz it was too long..

Ive just had a poke around and cannot find the file in question, although im not 100% sure what im looking for..
So i will tell you the other way you can do it.. You can very easily make Special events. ( have a look at the other special events in your game folder to see how its done( if you dont already know) in each special event there is a section under the tab "session 0" heres what that bit looks like ( this was from my own special event i posted last week)

[SESSION_0]
NAME=Quick Race
TYPE=3
LAPS=5
DURATION_MINUTES=0
SPAWN_SET=START

You just need to set the "LAPS=" to whatever you like and it should work just fine.

EDIT: ok scratch that last bit.. ive just tested one of my special events that was a 15 lap race and in the game its saying its a 10 lap race. So we need to try and find the file that handles how many laps you can have per race and edit that to be something higher..

• Deleted member 151827

What makes no sense is that the slower car races with AI are so fun! It's when you start using faster cars is where the AI go nuts! Slower car races are a lot of fun though!

While it is set as a max of 10 laps via the menus, it wont be hard coded, there will be a file you can edit to change that. it should be completely possible to do any amount of laps you like.. we have seen the Tatuus abarths run out of fuel during a race coz it was too long..
assettocorsa/launcher/themes/default/index.html
<div id="sliderRaceLaps" data-filter="racelapslider" class="slider" data-slidermin="2" data-slidermax="10" data-sliderstep="1">

I imagine it's disabled because none of the default setups have enough fuel, and it doesn't dynamically choose the fuel load to suit the race yet.

After more tests with the AI's im geting to the conclusion that they didnt change so much related to 0.5 ... what changed was the colision system ... and thats whats making all the crazy happening

The cars are now much more sensitive to bumps ... a small bump in 0.5 just mean a noise and some small car movement but now in 0.6 it just can throw you out of the track ... this applies also between AI's bumps ... thats why they are all spinning and flying all over the track on start cause just takes a small bump to make then loose control

On slow cars and on cars where you can control better the spinning it doesnt happen so much cause AI's can just control the cars better after a bump but in cars like Lotus 49 its insane ...

FPS drops are also related to the colision system ... its when cars crash and bump thats FPS drops and i get the 95% CPU message ... on the grid i can get 120 fps and then on the turn1 when bumps happens it just drops insane ... the bigger the incidents the bigger the FPS drops ...

So i guess Kunos just have to optimize the colision system and make the AI's be less agressive when driving the more "sensitive" cars like Lotus 49 and others alike ...

The AI's are also faster but if i decrease the level to 94-96% they dont behave much different then before

This is just my observation after some hours on 0.6 ... others may have a complete different opinion more valid then this

The AI need serious help. The biggest question of all is a conceptual one: as a simulation, should AC offer AI that are close to the behavior of real drivers, or an adaptation that drives different than any person can? My opinion is that, as a simulator, customers are expecting to race realistically--that's not to say that aggressive, wild AI aren't fun in their own right, but the game claims to be a next gen sim...I want to implement proper driving technique without getting shunted like some hockey game on blacktop.

In some combos AI's drive great! But in others they are just impossible ... i found it very bad in Imola and Mugello (the ones i tryed at first) ... but they seem to drive better on Monza and Silverstone ... the FPS drops are also very different from car to car ... F40 is the one i felt most impact ... its very difficult to make a fair review cause all behave very different depending in what combo you are driving

EDIT: making good AI's on every situations sounds a very demanding and difficult job ... maybe thats why no developer succeded yet ...
I think they said some cars' AI has received more work than others. Did not clearly specify which, but I guess that's what you're starting to see, Jorge.

"We have laid out the ground to build a better AI that understands better the intentions of the player. On some cars you might see a better behaviour, on some others more or less the same, but the work is there and slowly we will update all of them."

The "most unfinished" may also be the ones causing most fps drop. Just speculating.

Last edited:
Hello guys, I'd like to thank everybody for the very useful feedback you're giving us!
We are listening very carefully and we are at work since yesterday night on trying to understand framerate and CPU overload problems relative to collisions. We are definitely going to nail down this problem at the core engine level.

On a different level, we are fine tuning the cars to make them more even in terms of aggressiveness and using their grip on an equal way (some are managing to use their grip better than others). There's tons of fine tuning left to be done (and more than fine tuning).

After those two things are in place, we will work making the AI more player aware and making it more able to avoid "stupid" incidents. It is important to us to have the AI aggressive, fighting for a place even when packed, because we think it is easier to have them like this "resolving" fast the gaining places problem, even if they are crashy, and then make them more "polite", than having the problem the other way around and not been able to overtake at all.

As usual, expect the ordinary quick fixes in the next days and I'll keep you informed on the developments.
You feedback is very very useful to us right now, so keep it coming and spread the word.

Thanks!

@Aristotelis thanks for the update. I haven't been able to get on since this morning but I haven't ever seen the >cpu 95% message yet. I've been asking around to see if it's more of an issue with Intel or amd cpu's . Like you stated the frame rate drop is the biggest issue for a lot of us at the moment. I'm also trying to figure out a way to get the log files of both my cpu and gpu at the same time to try and correlate what is happening on my system. MSI afterburner won't let me open the log file after its created, to check it out.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back