Assetto Corsa or Project Cars?

Hi!
Maybe some of you going to see me like an idiot after read this. And you´re right.
I have a low PC specs (At least for this games):

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93Ghz
4GB Ram
Sapphire Radeon R7 240 1GB DDR5
500GB Hard Disk

From your point of view tell me which one would be best for me considering these points:
  • I love the games that have a graphic realism (Specially with car damage, different weather, environment, etc).
  • I'm not very interested in the simulation (I like it, indeed, sometimes I play in car shows and I make good times) because I haven't any steering wheel for now (or something to enjoy the simulation). Indeed, I would prefer that the mouse or keyboard be an acceptable alternative.
  • I like the variety of cars and tracks. At this point I saw that AC have variety of both for the mods, but I don't know if in PC will happen the same.
  • Please don't tell me to buy something like a new processor, or video card. I won't buy anything because it's enough for the games that I have.
  • I don't know if PC will work in my computer. I saw some videos in youtube and it work, but if someone plays it in a computer like mine please tell me.
Many thanks!

whynotboth.jpg

But in all seriousness, PCars will probably be the more complete game for now. AC, even though they claim it's a full release, feels like a beta, and there isn't much to do at all apart from hotlapping and track days online. The A.I. is broken, career mode is a drag... Nice cars tho, and the physics are pretty good apart from a few things they either don't simulate (brake heat/wear/fade) or react a bit weird (high speed grip). Modding is gonna pick up a lot too.

But yeah, for you I'd wait for PCars, you'll have more to do. Both games are probably similar as far as PC requirements are concerned.

I think your pc its not going to keep up with any of the 2 of them.
In AC you will get 90% ocupancy message and i am sure even freezes your pc and thats because your CPU is not near strong enough...and on the pCars you will get verry low fps because of your GPU witch is not strong enough for pCars graphics..and of course CPU is important here to
Not a good situation you are in....but on the playing part pCars is 100% for you

Neither with those specs. Honestly.

Try some older titles, you can pick up Race7 with all addons for peanuts (good Sim with lots of content).
For a more arcade-y racing game, maybe the first Grid will run ok.

AC might run for you but probably at 30 fps with only a single car. pCARS I wouldn't even bother with on your PC. In my opinion it scales worse in terms of graphic quality to AC at lower settings and AMD graphic cards have lesser performance compared to Nvidia cards in it at the moment.

I think you should stick to directx9 sim racing games. With that cpu you won't enjoy either game. On AC, just with your car and just maybe adding a couple A.I to the grid, you might do it at 60fps, but for Pcars is more demanding than in AC. There you will struggle just with 1 car.

For dx9 games you have some options:
- Race07 and its add-ons.
- GT Legends.
- GTR - FIA GT
- GTR 2- FIA GT
- Raceroom racing experience (free to play with some initial content, rest you buy in packs or individual content).
- Stock Car Extreme.
- rFactor
- rFactor 2 (available outside of steam).

These are the older games to look for when searching for games in the sim racing genre. Stock Car, Raceroom, and rF2 are modern games with active developer teams. They just use directx9, but still look nice. The other ones are games from the mid of last decade, and those last three I mentioned (raceroom, stock car, rf2) have better graphics and possibly more evolved physics. But each one of them offers good racing experience package.

@Mane Goddard
I still haven´t understood what you meant with:
I'm not very interested in the simulation (I like it, indeed, sometimes I play in car shows and I make good times) because I haven't any steering wheel for now (or something to enjoy the simulation

I believe you don´t get much fun playing all these titles that have been named here without a wheel. Maybe you´re a hardcore keyboard racer and still can get a lot of fun out of that, but in my oppinion you need a wheel.
Maybe if you turn down all visual features to a minimum you might be able to get 50 fps out of Asetto Corsa or Project Cars with a low amount of cars on the track but it´s a gamble.
rfactor 1 based racing games like Stock Car Extreme should run pretty decent on your hardware. But again I wouldn´t recommend it without a wheel. Probably will be a frustrating experience. I´ve tried to use an x-box controller with Stock Car Extreme and it didn´t go well.

Cheers

@Mane Goddard
I still haven´t understood what you meant with:

I believe you don´t get much fun playing all these titles that have been named here without a wheel. Maybe you´re a hardcore keyboard racer and still can get a lot of fun out of that, but in my oppinion you need a wheel.
Maybe if you turn down all visual features to a minimum you might be able to get 50 fps out of Asetto Corsa or Project Cars with a low amount of cars on the track but it´s a gamble.
rfactor 1 based racing games like Stock Car Extreme should run pretty decent on your hardware. But again I wouldn´t recommend it without a wheel. Probably will be a frustrating experience. I´ve tried to use an x-box controller with Stock Car Extreme and it didn´t go well.

Cheers

I have rFactor 1 and I play it with high settings without problems. I always play racing games with keyboard for many years, and I still play it in that way. In games like rFactor I usually run more on time trial or testing than races against AI. It may sound ridiculous, but I do lots of things in those game modes and I don't get bored to be honest.
Also, on the topic of graphics, I don't know if I would like update the computer only for a game, there is the matter, because I usually play old games (Except in these cases).

You are upgrading your pc to play several modern games. The same way when you invest in a high end steering wheel, you buy it and you can play several games, although you'll mainly spend hundreds of hours in one.

Your pc can be good for the older titles, but if you want to play these you'll need to invest. But buy a (custom) gaming desktop pc, from a gaming hardware store.

Your system(PC) seems better suited for AC, but you seem to like what Project Cars seems to be offering, a more arcadeish experience with a bit of everything.

I've tried an early Project Cars alpha and it was a LOT heavier on my system than AC(My PC is close to yours in terms of hardware, i3 4130 + GT430 1Gb).

If simulation isn't your thing, then definitely go for Project Cars, it's more varied and much more fun to play with for someone like you.

I never understand the buy X or Y questions. Both games are extremely cheap if racing is your biggest hobby. (yes sim racing is cheap, golf is expensive :D)

Get as many different titles as you can get and don't let others decide for you what to buy. Everybody has their own taste and what fits you best you can only conclude after driving them all.

I never understand the buy X or Y questions. Both games are extremely cheap if racing is your biggest hobby. (yes sim racing is cheap, golf is expensive :D)

Get as many different titles as you can get and don't let others decide for you what to buy. Everybody has their own taste and what fits you best you can only conclude after driving them all.

I wanted to know by the experience of those who have this games which seem to suit more to what I want. I can buy them, but I see Assetto Corsa "is not over" at some point although has left the beta, then I'd rather wait a little longer. Besides this thread it helped me to learn more about both games with some answers.

Thanks to everybody. For now I will buy Project Cars (At some point I would have to buy it anyway), but also I will be thinking about upgrading my computer, even if it's only for a couple of games.

For your graphical needs, pCARS is where it's at.

Official minimum specs (http://www.projectcarsgame.com/faq.html):
CPU – 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 3.0 GHz AMD Phenom II X4 940
GRAPHICS – nVidia GTX 260, ATI Radeon HD 5770
MEMORY – 4Gb RAM, 1Gb VRAM

I fear your CPU will fall short and it will look nothing like what you see in videos because you'd have to tone everything to bare minimum.

So for your PC and your wish for diversity, i'd say grab all of them good old SimBin games and Game Stock Car Extreme. You get so incredible much content for your money there, it's insane.
To be honest, i don't know how arcady you can set them, but a friend of mine drove Race07 on keyboard and did quite well :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back