Assetto Corsa Founder Stefano Casillo's Sunday Chit Chat Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Stefano Casillo Live Stream - Assetto Corsa.png

Kunos Simulazioni founder and Lead Programmer Stefano Casillo has produced another interesting fan livestream, taking time out to discuss Assetto Corsa, answer some questions and even play a little bit of guitar!

Unscripted live discussion in a similar format to the recent 'Look What the Cat Hacked In' episodes, Casillo has taken the initiative into his own hands a released the first of a new series of Sunday evening streaming's, where he discusses points of interest in the world of Assetto Corsa and takes questions from the sim racing community. Already well know for his prolific guitar playing skills, Casillo even found a bit of time to blast out some tunes during the 1 hour 26 minute video.

Check out the full video below -

Sunday Chit Chat, Talk, Answer and Play Guitar Video - 28/08/2016

Assetto Corsa is available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in Europe and will launch in North American Tuesday 30th August. Version 1.8 of Assetto Corsa for PC is available right now via the Steam store.

Check out the Assetto Corsa sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussion regarding Assetto Corsa on PC and console. Have a browse through our high quality mods available to download, share your work in our modding discussion forum and best of all, take part in some of our regular high quality club racing events.

Did you enjoy the latest chat video from Casillo? Learn anything new or exciting? Enjoying AC 1.8 on PC or the new console versions of the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

And when he said new feature need work on console too, that probably means stopping of tools only present on PC version so definitively I'm not a Martian: game development is affected by console release.
That's why they have 3 (I think) extra devs to handle the console development... For the other parts, I guess you're a Martian cause you're reading it wrong.

@Rob your expectations (and maybe this reflects expectations of quite a part of the console community) are really surprising me, seeing how REALLY successful games don't have those features.

Freely bindable keys on consoles?
What i always hear is "You can be happy if there are several gamepad layouts rather than being forced to get used to the single layout delivered".

CoD doesn't have customizable servers, Battlefield doesn't have customizable servers.
At least to my knowledge, which is a tad old, but i think "Play now" and pre-defined lobbies are still the norm?

I have not been at the console gig as long as some of you, but ever since 2010 the more SIMish games have had a way to play with a group on the internet, with customizable lobbies (tracks, cars, assists, etc.). FM4-FM6, F1 2010-F1 2016, Shift 2: Unleashed, Grid Autosport, Race Pro,Project Cars, DiRT Rally, etc. etc. Even though all but Forza were P2P, the expectation is still there. Interestingly, Forza is the only game that uses server banks and not P2P (that's the word, at least). So, Forza is much more stable and enjoys quite a bit of fanfare because of it. In addition, Forza is the only one (I believe) where you cannot map each available button (about 11) to a specific function. So that expectation is there too, Forza notwithstanding. Can you not do this on the PC? I'm not familiar with shooters. Can you play with a pre-selected group (private) with settings of your choice? Can you do this in the PC version of Assetto? Now, there is rumor that the multiplayer servers on Assetto are region blocked. So, I could not play with someone in the U.K. There has been no clarification on why this is missing and whether Kunos plans to have private lobbies and when. To tell you the truth, I just assume they can since Forza does, but it's probably expensive. I'm not even sure how it would work, but if it's a real stumbling block, everyone is wondering why not just go with Peer to Peer?

Honestly there is still a lot of issues with shadows... and there is some aliasing aswell (don't know if it's from reflection or just basic). I play max out, with full AA and at 4k... so yeah if I have aliasing than the game is not doing it's job at correcting it.

To go back to shadows, when will they completely fix it ? the sadows on the outside of the car are discusting wich is a shame because you got gorgeous cars (not talking about the shadow the cars cast, but some sort of ghostling shadow on the side of the cars), also for exemple with the audi r8 or the huracan, you got the opening on the hood that blink in replays or third persone view... not to mention that shadows are generated to close of the car which makes for a follow effect instead of having them loaded with a wider range.

I hope people understand what I mean.

From a kid amazed with wheel spinning in a game on commodore Amiga, to making Assetto Corsa! What an amazing journey. We know for sure that he is a simmer, and a hardcore one. And a hardcore simmer prefers physics simulation to feature simulation.:cool:

Edit: As he referred I really don't see what false starts have brought to the AC.
Core versus un-core simulation features.

Last edited:
Physics and conditions in all simulators is ever evolving.
There is no 'done' as he's already stated in the video.
While I don't write code, I do maintain a multi-million dollar flight simulator.
The engineers for every sub-system (motion, sound, weather, control-loading etc...) request access regularly to 'push' updates driven by changes.
While a lot of information and practices are proprietary, I can speak to those that are not.
Every flight simulator is built using test data captured during flight test of the actual airplane.
That data is plotted and qualified during initial evaluation of the sim by the FAA or EASA..
It becomes the 'law' of that sim.
Is every parameter perfect out-of-the-box? ......NO....hence the 'updates by engineers.
Characteristics are constantly evolving.
More data becomes available and when it does, the record is updated... after a test pilot verifies those changes and after an FAA notification.
It is very much like the approach Kunos Simulazioni has taken updating Assetto Corsa.
I sometimes wish the guys in simracing could see what goes on behind the scene.
Then perhaps, they'd get a better understanding of what goes into the process without all the constant moaning.

Last edited:
Ya know, if someone blatantly lies about problems, completely misrepresents their experience, says the game is broken when it isnt, claims everything was downgraded because there is another version of the game releasing on another platform (consoles)... Then a developer that doesnt take any BS and responds appropriately should not be shunned.

He has on at least 1 occasion. And his other responses have still been disgustingly unprofessional. If any other company responded to criticisms that way there would be outrage at them and they would fire the person instantly in an effort to stem the fall of public opinion. There is no way his response to people (even if they are being jerks) of calling customers idiots is in any way acceptable or professional. And no some of his responses were not in any vague notion 'appropriate'.

If any other company responded to criticisms that way there would be outrage at them and they would fire the person instantly in an effort to stem the fall of public opinion.

One of the benefits of being your own boss! :p Personally I love it when Stefano and Marco call people out for acting like fools, it's a bit refreshing in this overly-politically-correct world to see someone speak their mind without giving a damn about so-called "public opinion".

@Rob your expectations (and maybe this reflects expectations of quite a part of the console community) are really surprising me, seeing how REALLY successful games don't have those features.

Freely bindable keys on consoles?
What i always hear is "You can be happy if there are several gamepad layouts rather than being forced to get used to the single layout delivered".

CoD doesn't have customizable servers, Battlefield doesn't have customizable servers.
At least to my knowledge, which is a tad old, but i think "Play now" and pre-defined lobbies are still the norm?
Rob is referring to the fact that on console we are restricted to the '2' predefined layouts that mean some functions cannot be assigned to any button on our wheels. This is standard on any other game I have played but doesn't seem possible in AC at present. I've never considered only being able to have preset layouts as a good idea as we all have our own preferences on what we want mapped to what button and predefined layouts do not accommodate that.

I got the game on pre-order but due to being away only got the chance to get on track with it last night and despite some issues that have been highlighted already I have to say that I love it. The handling and FFB are second to none and I will certainly be losing a lot of time immersed in this brilliant sim. I applaud the devs for what they are doing with it and cannot wait to get back on track with it later this evening.

As to the servers, I am not sure how it works on PC but I assumed that you can create your own lobbies and just invite in those that you want, is this not the case? I think having only pre-defined servers for a racing title is quite unusual but I am a patient guy and because of how good the game is I can wait for this to be added at some later date. Whether that be weeks, months or longer I have no idea but I won't lose any sleep over it as I will just enjoy the title for what is is right here and now :) I just hope that enough of the console community can have that same level of patience and allow the developers the time to see this project progress properly and that enough still purchase it to make the development worthwhile otherwise the console loses a fantastic opportunity to enjoy what is a wonderful sim that will get even better :thumbsup:

I do agree with you that the expectations were too high and many console people thought they would get all the things they have been used to getting in previous titles while for me I always felt AC was going to be a work in progress just the same as it has been for you PC guys. I knew that, I read all about the issues that had been found and things that were not included so I bough it with my eyes wide open and am more than 100% happy with my purchase.

Rob is referring to the fact that on console we are restricted to the '2' predefined layouts that mean some functions cannot be assigned to any button on our wheels. This is standard on any other game I have played but doesn't seem possible in AC at present. I've never considered only being able to have preset layouts as a good idea as we all have our own preferences on what we want mapped to what button and predefined layouts do not accommodate that.

I've never played on either PS4 or XBone, and I'm not sure which one you're on, but PS4 players are saying there's a way to customize your button layout through the PS menu. Problem solved (well, at least on the PS4). :thumbsup:

I'm on the Xbox One and haven't seen anything enabling that up to now. I've seen PS4 players complaining about the same thing too.

From what I'm seeing PS4 players are able to change the button assignments through a PlayStation menu, not an Assetto Corsa menu, so they can make the buttons work how they want. It's not baked into the game but it can still be done easily. If you encounter any PS4 players complaining about it tell them they can change the buttons in the PS menu. Not sure if XBone has that option or not, like I said I've never played either of them, just passing along a bit of info.

funny how being able to just say what you want and calling it as you see it, is seen as offensive these days... ' i pay for it! how dare you?! unprofesional!! '
pure comedy! our ancestors are laughing in their graves children...

@kunos you konw what? its your fault! for being so open about your product! shame on you... how dare you express passion about your great creation and then go ask for money in exchange of top quality product and support.. shame shame!

the internet is not what it used to be... wow i feel old saying that.

One of the benefits of being your own boss! :p Personally I love it when Stefano and Marco call people out for acting like fools, it's a bit refreshing in this overly-politically-correct world to see someone speak their mind without giving a damn about so-called "public opinion".

How on earth is someone being a wanker 'refreshing'?? The only way you could interpret that is that you don't want anyone to ever be nice to each other or polite cause thats too stale. That is absolutely no reason for being a jerk, and not having simple manners is not 'overly politically correct' its just having manners, you know, that thing everyone should have.

funny how being able to just say what you want and calling it as you see it, is seen as offensive these days... ' i pay for it! how dare you?! unprofesional!! '
pure comedy! our ancestors are laughing in their graves children...

@kunos you konw what? its your fault! for being so open about your product! shame on you... how dare you express passion about your great creation and then go ask for money in exchange of top quality product and support.. shame shame!

the internet is not what it used to be... wow i feel old saying that.

It's funny how the courtesy of being able to say what you want and calling it as you see it, apparently is not afforded to those who bought the game without being berated by people who disagree with their views.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back