Assetto Corsa AI Video and Massarutto Statement

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Multiclass.png

Following the big Assetto Corsa PC update from Kunos Simulazioni, Aristotelis Vasilakos has released a nice video of the new AI code - with some interesting words from Marco Massarutto.

The main thrust of the 1.14 build update released last week focussed around the single player artificial intelligence, an area of the game lacking behind its main sim racing rivals in recent years. Now following considerable work from all involved with Kunos Simulazioni, the current generation build of Assetto Corsa has moved on leaps and bounds since its early days to arguably move very close to the top of the AI pile. With passing and defending from the AI cars and human like behaviour, the new build really is a substantial step forward from the development team.

To mark the new build release and in something of celebration of the new AI physics engineer Aristotelis Vasilakos has released this excellent video of a multiclass AI field racing around the Spanish Barcelona Grand Prix Circuit in Assetto Corsa:

By way of his own personal Facebook page, Marco Massarutto added the following words with regards to the responsibility structure at Kunos:

"I would like to take advantage of this gameplay video to say something. We are a team of crazy, genuine people who love their job, showing some talent but, even more, a genuine devotion for what they do. This makes Assetto Corsa what it is today. But I can't forget to mention that, most of AI&physics algorithms, as well as the tyre model, the netcode and the graphics engine of our game has been programmed by one single person, my teammate in business Stefano "Kunos" Casillo. .

All the tracks (except for one) have been modeled by one guy, Simone Trevisiol, who takes care also about shaders, post processing effects and gfx fine tuning. Most of the sound environment and effects has been managed by one guy (with some programming support), Luca Sodano.

Only one guy, Aristotelis Vasilakos, is behind the car handling, vehicle dynamics and tyre data (that means this lazy guy updated all the hundreds of cars included in the game each time Stefano updated the code behind physics and tyre model). And Gianluca Miragoli is behind the 3D modeling of at least half of the car models and most of the interiors. I should mention all the others that made Assetto Corsa what is today and I thank all of them. But the people mentioned above are with us by the beginning. I'm proud to be part of this team.

Oh, btw: the video shows the new AI algorithms in action: the Toyota TS040 is driven by AI (aggression set at 45%) and it has been placed in the last position in order to show its capability to overtake slower cars at Barcelona circuit , where overtaking sometime is not an easy matter, and it was pretty difficult to see before this update. Sorry to be late, but good things need time.

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation available to purchase on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

If you enjoy the new AI then I'm very pleased for you, it is very good indeed. Want to know what's even better though? I'll let you in on a secret... racing against real people, online, in organised events with an emphasis on respectful driving... enter into the equation RaceDepartment Club Racing! We have the best cars and tracks from the game, great event admins and a lively and enthusiastic club of enthusiasts with some awesome teamspeak banter. Suitable for rookies right through to aliens alike, out club events are for you, the sim racing enthusiast. Get yourself involved and sign up for a race today*

*good times guaranteed

Enjoyed the video? Impressed with the new AI? Liking AC post V1.14 release? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I for one think this is a huge improvement. They did an amazing job. I think perhaps the guys at Kunos struggled with what direction to go due to funding, as they had stated in the past. But let's not forget that they became a part of Digital Bros., which no doubt has brought in the financing to allow this type of improvement due to the time it takes to accomplish. Having said that, I think we will see more improvements as we go along. It is obviously in DB's best interest to make Assetto the best SIM out there in ALL respects. I think now this is very possible. So Kunos, please keep it up! I'm hoping for 24 hour time-cycle, weather-changes (dry to rain) and pit stop set ups etc. With these things, it simply will be the best out there.

In the last few days I've revisited rF2 and Automobilista and reviewed the AI behavior on these 3 sims. It is my opinion that now AC definitely holds the crown by a very good margin, which is truly remarkable taking into account that it wasn't even a proper contender on this matter before.
Although rF2 and AMS have very good AIs indeed, the level of competitiveness and clever/fairness behavior of the new AI in AC sometimes makes me feel I'm racing multiplayer sessions (on the good side). It's even BETTER than MP (because there are no wreckers, although the AI do make small mistakes sometimes, which adds to immersion!).
In a nutshell: in several races the AI never rammed me or tried to block my move in a "moron way" (like rF2 tries to do sometimes, doing zigzags on a straight to counter your offensive), neither passed me outside track or - more important - lost a single opportunity on a clean pass (sometimes slightly scratching paint while "forcing through a tight gap" - but never too aggressively - which is totally acceptable when running 90% aggression and 95% strenght+3% variation). Also, they fight each other in a fierce but fair way, a thing that you definitely don't see so beautifully done in other titles - to the point that you can enjoy just looking to AI battles like you're watching TV.

I'm very happy with what we have now, considering AC's AI a serious "race training aid". Too bad we cannot add some of them on MP servers.

On first try with the new AI I was really impressed. On Sunday I raced AI like they were courteous real life players. All was good. They were also more widely spread and seemed to take better lines and race cleaner, rather than just follow a predetermined path with barely 0.05s / lap difference in pace. The special events races also seem more difficult; for which I am glad. Previously I had little trouble getting the Alien achievements (beating AI at 100% starting from the back of the grid on a 5 lap race). With the Audi TT Cup race I struggled to get past my starting point in Hard (AI at 95%) and the AI in Hard were faster than the RSR world record (at the time, at least)

Having completed Medium (90% AI) in the Porsche 911 GT1-98 race (great car BTW) at Silverstone on Sunday, pretty easily, I spent about an hour on Sunday afternoon, and literally 4 hours on Monday evening trying to get the achievement on Hard. I was 2s a lap faster than the fastest AI, pretty consistently but really struggled getting through traffic. So many times, maybe 4/5 or 9/10 attempts, I was taken out in the first few corners when I didn't think I should have been. At least 3/10 times was caused by AI taking each other out at turn 1 and me getting hit trying to avoid the accident. I'd even take off slowly and give the rest of the field about 100m gap and still get taken out. AI either doesn't concede the racing line when it should, or I've not placed my car where I think I have (possibly the later after looking at replays of multiple incidents). I run heli-corsa so I've always got a good idea of where the AI are and am careful to not move in front of them, or turn in, until it's safe, but more often than is sane they'll take their line like I wasn't there and punt me off the track. The other thing they still do is have insane grip at some corners and then park up on the apex at other corners, making it hard to follow closely. Almost every time I get up the inside of a car into Brooklands and be pretty well clear, only to have the car on my outside drive right around me and push me off through Luffield. A number of times I put moves on a car through Vale and Club only to have them come bouncing over the inside curb at Club and take me out. The cars weren't too badly behaved when the pack spread out, but that opening few corners was always hell (I know I reckon I had at least 100 attempts as reset every time I got damage).

Of course, this could all be a product of my poor/overly aggressive driving :) After literally over 1000 multiplayer races (> 900 in iRacing and a few years in Assetto Corsa and AMS leagues) I think I have a pretty good eye for how "real" sim racers drive.

I guess it's worth saying that on Sunday I was super impressed with the AI and posted that I think it's better than AMS and other sims. Now, I'm just annoyed having spent so long trying to get a Hard achievement and failing haha :'( The Porsche 911 GT1-98 achievement was kinda like any iRacing race I guess: complete mayhem at the back - so maybe that means AI is working well lol.

Last edited:
Expect that races against AI now are better than 90% of public server races. Also, some cars you can't find online, against AI you can drive anything you like, anytime you like

I've run several races against the A.I. since the update and the races have been more exciting than the rookie league races I ran against humans in iRacing.

Porsche Cup at Monza, 20 lap race against the A.I. was impressive.

I started 25, last place. Worked my way slowly up through the field to about 6th by lap 15 or so. The lead pack of 5 cars was a few seconds ahead , I was between them and the 2nd pack which was about 2 seconds behind me. Then this blue Porsche broke away from the rear pack and started running me down, after about 2 laps he drafted pass me on the Rettiflo Tribune, then a lap later I drafted past him on the Variante Ascari. We swapped positions about 3 times in the close laps. Through all of this we started catching the front pack, with one lap to go I drafted past the 5th place car on Variante and we went door to door through the Parabolica then I slowly started edging him out entering the Rettiflo Tribune, I was able to pass him and won by about a car length.

I don't ever recall in any sim the A.I. cars battling against the human driver quite so much. Typically when you pass them, that's it. These dudes will run you down , set you up then draft past you on the straight or stick a nose under you in a corner. It was pretty amazing.

Ran another race in the Mazda MX5 at Bilsterberg that was bananas !! The newly update A.I. files for this track combined with the updated A.I. is amazing !

It's much better now, except they added a FWD car and the AI are completely incapable of driving it. The challenge at Zolder results in a 5+ car pileup every time.

In the last few days I've revisited rF2 and Automobilista and reviewed the AI behavior on these 3 sims. It is my opinion that now AC definitely holds the crown by a very good margin, which is truly remarkable taking into account that it wasn't even a proper contender on this matter before.
Although rF2 and AMS have very good AIs indeed, the level of competitiveness and clever/fairness behavior of the new AI in AC sometimes makes me feel I'm racing multiplayer sessions (on the good side). It's even BETTER than MP (because there are no wreckers, although the AI do make small mistakes sometimes, which adds to immersion!).
In a nutshell: in several races the AI never rammed me or tried to block my move in a "moron way" (like rF2 tries to do sometimes, doing zigzags on a straight to counter your offensive), neither passed me outside track or - more important - lost a single opportunity on a clean pass (sometimes slightly scratching paint while "forcing through a tight gap" - but never too aggressively - which is totally acceptable when running 90% aggression and 95% strenght+3% variation). Also, they fight each other in a fierce but fair way, a thing that you definitely don't see so beautifully done in other titles - to the point that you can enjoy just looking to AI battles like you're watching TV.

I'm very happy with what we have now, considering AC's AI a serious "race training aid". Too bad we cannot add some of them on MP servers.
Sorry, I can't believe you race the AI in rF2, at least not nearly enough to really form an opinion. While I'm impressed with the AC AI update, there's no way it's rF2 level. There are many things that are based on personal feel like FFB or physics but the AI in AC is still work in progress. At least now I'll race the AI in AC, and I hope they can improve the experience even more.
Again sorry, I don't mean to offend but I've had many races in AC and rF2 against the AI. rF2 is the most human like of any sim I've ever had - they block, change lines if you do the same, constantly put on pressure, ... Does that mean rF2 is the best sim since sliced bread - I wouldn't say that as everyone has there preferences and each sim has there strengths and weaknesses.
My $.02

Although rF2 and AMS have very good AIs indeed,

Really? AI of AMS never been 'very good' IMO. It is just acceptable conditionally. rF2 has indeed very good AI. I think it is still way better than AC. But rF2 lacks the visuals. :D

Apart from human like "intelligence", also plays an important role in immersive single play is AI physics. AMS AI has dramatically simplified physics (low physics rate) that is easily recognizable, just like rF1. AC AI has same physics with player, which is ideal. Huge advantage but had been overshadowed by the poor AI. Not sure about rF2 but it looks good enough. I would believe if they claim it has same physcis with player's.

Sorry, I can't believe you race the AI in rF2, at least not nearly enough to really form an opinion.
My $.02
Hi William, that's ok, maybe I haven't found the perfect combo or adjustment in rF2 as it isn't my every day sim, although I have it since the very beginning. I use it normally to play "old content" (everything that needs an h-pattern and heel and toe skills, and tries to kill you on every corner) :), and I don't play it as often as others. That said, I suspect that AI is somewhat dependent on cars/track combo (in every sim out there, by the way).
Like I said, it is my opinion (based of course on my experience) that AC now has the upper hand.
I agree with you that rF2 has a good AI, make it even excellent, but the fact that they block you twice in a straight is something I don't like - i.e., if you're disputing a position on a race, make your mind and take left or right, but not zigzag in front of your opponent each time he changes side and tries to overtake you. Also, I had several moments where the AI just drove towards me when we were almost 1:1 side by side (I had my nose at his door already, so to speak). The AI wasn't trying to block me, but instead trying to pass the guy in front... it was like it didn't check his mirror before doing the maneuver. This happens sometimes in tracks with long straights, like Belgium for instance. Does this makes it a bad sim? Absolutely not!
Now, I'm not saying also that this happens all the time, of course not - but happened enough times already (where in AC since 1.14 I haven't seen this once - at least until now).
I had memorable battles in rF2 and AMS in the past, even perfect ones, and I like them both and plan to keep playing them - but this update made me almost believe (by the first time ever on some SP races) that I was playing against humans - and this "moment" is what made my opinion.
My two cents, too. Together with yours 0.02, we now have four. :thumbsup:
Too bad we can't even buy a beer! ;)

It's much better now, except they added a FWD car and the AI are completely incapable of driving it. The challenge at Zolder results in a 5+ car pileup every time.

Wierd. I completed these on beginner and intermediate today. Never once did I see a 5 car pileup. I spent about an hour trying to get to hard level, but never got better than a hard fought 2nd. Maybe bad luck...i dunno, but i've never had pileups like that in any of the TT races at Zolder so far.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back