Assetto Corsa AI Video and Massarutto Statement

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Multiclass.png

Following the big Assetto Corsa PC update from Kunos Simulazioni, Aristotelis Vasilakos has released a nice video of the new AI code - with some interesting words from Marco Massarutto.

The main thrust of the 1.14 build update released last week focussed around the single player artificial intelligence, an area of the game lacking behind its main sim racing rivals in recent years. Now following considerable work from all involved with Kunos Simulazioni, the current generation build of Assetto Corsa has moved on leaps and bounds since its early days to arguably move very close to the top of the AI pile. With passing and defending from the AI cars and human like behaviour, the new build really is a substantial step forward from the development team.

To mark the new build release and in something of celebration of the new AI physics engineer Aristotelis Vasilakos has released this excellent video of a multiclass AI field racing around the Spanish Barcelona Grand Prix Circuit in Assetto Corsa:

By way of his own personal Facebook page, Marco Massarutto added the following words with regards to the responsibility structure at Kunos:

"I would like to take advantage of this gameplay video to say something. We are a team of crazy, genuine people who love their job, showing some talent but, even more, a genuine devotion for what they do. This makes Assetto Corsa what it is today. But I can't forget to mention that, most of AI&physics algorithms, as well as the tyre model, the netcode and the graphics engine of our game has been programmed by one single person, my teammate in business Stefano "Kunos" Casillo. .

All the tracks (except for one) have been modeled by one guy, Simone Trevisiol, who takes care also about shaders, post processing effects and gfx fine tuning. Most of the sound environment and effects has been managed by one guy (with some programming support), Luca Sodano.

Only one guy, Aristotelis Vasilakos, is behind the car handling, vehicle dynamics and tyre data (that means this lazy guy updated all the hundreds of cars included in the game each time Stefano updated the code behind physics and tyre model). And Gianluca Miragoli is behind the 3D modeling of at least half of the car models and most of the interiors. I should mention all the others that made Assetto Corsa what is today and I thank all of them. But the people mentioned above are with us by the beginning. I'm proud to be part of this team.

Oh, btw: the video shows the new AI algorithms in action: the Toyota TS040 is driven by AI (aggression set at 45%) and it has been placed in the last position in order to show its capability to overtake slower cars at Barcelona circuit , where overtaking sometime is not an easy matter, and it was pretty difficult to see before this update. Sorry to be late, but good things need time.

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation available to purchase on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

If you enjoy the new AI then I'm very pleased for you, it is very good indeed. Want to know what's even better though? I'll let you in on a secret... racing against real people, online, in organised events with an emphasis on respectful driving... enter into the equation RaceDepartment Club Racing! We have the best cars and tracks from the game, great event admins and a lively and enthusiastic club of enthusiasts with some awesome teamspeak banter. Suitable for rookies right through to aliens alike, out club events are for you, the sim racing enthusiast. Get yourself involved and sign up for a race today*

*good times guaranteed

Enjoyed the video? Impressed with the new AI? Liking AC post V1.14 release? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
the only improvement i saw in several yt-vidz is that the AI can overtake now and battle, wow, gtr2 allready could that 2006 :rolleyes: :D ..... but they still suffer from having a mediocre pace@100% and loose time with their 'internal AI-Battles' and brake too early.

an ai-endurance race with gt3 shows how you can easily drive from 24th to <10th place at 100%ai and 100%aggressiveness.

@1:11:40 there is the time-table

yeah tried all the settings,only way I can reduce it is to run the steering so heavy that its almost impossible to drive,rf2 is perfect,just up the setting {minimum torque I think it's called] till the wheel starts oscillating then back it down abit which leaves a tiny dead zone that the wheel needs but is barely noticeable while driving.

That setting is in AC too, it's called minimum force and does the exact same thing.

the only improvement i saw in several yt-vidz is that the AI can overtake now and battle, wow, gtr2 allready could that 2006 :rolleyes: :D ..... but they still suffer from having a mediocre pace@100% and loose time with their 'internal AI-Battles' and brake too early.

I think a part of this is related to the AI line (braking too early, strange lines etc). If this is done properly you'll have better competition against the AI. I plan to update some AI lines for myself for better racing against them and have already uploaded two on RD. You probably can finetune them even further within the KS editor but I haven't looked at that yet.

I've heard multiple times from different sources that ISImotor based games such as rFactor 2 use simplified physics for AI cars, is that true? Saw similar mention about AMS.

Because if so, comparing is kind of stupid. Of course it's easier to make AI when it doesn't have to obey laws of physics. Assetto Corsa uses full physics (+ some stability control I guess, which admittedly is fake assist too) for AI cars which is much harder to make work, would imagine.

Again, not sure about this. Just what I've heard. Should check that AI of sims are on same complexity physics wise, before comparing. What other sims have this good AI, that uses similar level of physics as player?

Just because it looks awesome, doesn't mean it actually (coding-wise / as technical achievement) is. If it's not racing the same car as player, but something that is easier to keep on track than reality, then it's basically cheating.

Last edited:
not really, all the vids ive seen are people doing multiclass, which was never really the problem, i haven't really looked properly though admitadly

Best to try it for yourself and see of course as we all have different expectations but here is a clip from a TT Cup race that should demonstrate that the trains of cars issues have been resolved.

This has just uploaded so the quality might still be a bit low, should be 1080p eventually.

The AI cars fight each other, and me, and use different lines around the track. They also make realistic mistakes, running wide or entering corners too fast and compromising their exit speed. Another impressive feature is how intelligently they seem able to deploy the push to pass feature. At 1:53 you'll see the Audi Exclusive #76 car use push to pass to leave me behind, I'd already used the push to pass earlier in the lap. Then at 2:21 he's equally a sitting duck as I use push to pass off the final corner. You can also see plenty of action continues between the AI cars both in front and in the mirror.

Sure it may not be perfect but it is a huge improvement and most importantly of all playable.

I've heard multiple times from different sources that ISImotor based games such as rFactor 2 use simplified physics for AI cars, is that true? Saw similar mention about AMS.

Not gonna get 100+ cars on track and still have reasonable fps if that wasnt true :p

What other sims have this good AI, that uses similar level of physics as player?

None to my knowledge. They all 'cheat' or have AI hacks to make them quicker.

Yes, ISI-based sims use "simplified" physics for the AI. Tire model complexity is reduced and suspension is eased to allow the AI cars to use more binary throttle/brake... this allows more complexity, more CPU-time, to be assigned to the player's car. AI still has player's engine & aerodynamics. Grip, power, & brakes are adjusted by the AI Difficulty setting, though one can change that from default if one chooses.

What rF2 has over the other ISI-based sims is multiple racing lines, including wet, blocking, and car-specific lines. rF1 had AI learning and rF2 extends that learning with two more modes.

From a gameplay perspective, it's whether the AI actions are convincing rather than whether they use "player" physics.

Last edited:
So, one question remains...whats the advantage of real-physics for AI if they can't compete on your level?! The human player is always smarter. Afaik, the AI could not even use different setups in AC.
I also prefer difficulty classes over percent usage like on f.e. f1 serieS. You beat your championship in one class and move to the next level^class.

Not sure if there is even any game out there which not uses 'CHEATED' ai.

Personally I don't care if the Ai cheats or has different physics as long as the illusion of racing a real person can be perfected and it can be adjusted to a pace that I want. Making the Ai too good will make it a perfect racing automaton and that's not what is needed IMO. Even the best real drivers and riders make mistakes.

Afaik, the AI could not even use different setups in AC.
They can, though. AI uses the setup named AI_default

From technical and programming standpoint AI that uses real physics is more advanced. So dismissive and reductive comments like "wow, GTR2 did this in 2006" aren't very justified.

AI in some old Flatout game was always "competing on my level" because it used rubberbanding AI. In my opinion it wasn't good AI just because it was competitive, knowing it rubberbands felt stupid. Having simplified physics for AI or giving them extra grip to make them faster, is the same thing to a smaller extent.

All sim AIs cheat (AC too with stability control) then it comes down to which one cheats the least. And AI that wouldn't cheat at all (and still give a fairly good race) surely wouldn't be most competitive, but it would be the most intelligent.

Surely AI that is too slow for you isn't entertaining to drive, depends on your pace. But thinking that AI laptimes determine how advanced it is technically, can be deceptive.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea