Aris of Kunos Simulazioni Releases "Go Faster" Driving Tips Video

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Aris Go Faster Video.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni's Aristotelis Vasilakos has released a nice video tutorial aimed at giving driving tips to players of Assetto Corsa.

Vasilakos is one of the key physics engineers at Kunos and as such has a deep and involved understand of how the Italian development team realise car physics generation in Assetto Corsa. As well as proving himself to be a remarkably talented physics creator, Aris is also a dab hand behind the wheel of both his virtual creations and those of the real world, regularly posting videos and telemetry from his various on track escapades at a number of local real world racetracks.

Making the most of his considerable experience, Aris has produced a very handy 40 minute video using Assetto Corsa that aims to help impart some of his knowledge to the sim racing faithful, with the hope that some of the tips shared in this tutorial will help develop the skills of sim race drivers and make it just that little bit easier to find those missing tenths of a second when out on track. You can watch the video from Aris in full below:

Using the stock content BMW M235i Racing edition around the British Silverstone International layout, Aris takes players through a number of key driving tips and techniques that should form part of every real and virtual sim drivers skill set. From finding your reference points around a circuit to ensuring you know and adhere to the racing line, the video covers of some key basic tips that often get overlooked by new and experienced drivers alike. Although Aris doesn't go into the more advanced techniques some of the more experienced players may make use of during a racing situation, it is nevertheless extremely valuable to reaffirm some of the things Aris discusses in this video, as everything he covers during the 40 odd minute presentation are details that every sim racer, either new or old, should be following to help ensure you are driving to your fastest possible speed.

The video is well presented, interesting and informative and Vasilakos does a very good job maintaining an entertaining show whilst imparting some valuable information. Well worth a watch for any experience level...

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation designed by Kunos Simulazioni and is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Check out the Assetto Corsa sub forum here at RaceDepartment. We have a great collection of mods to download, a thriving Racing Club and Leagues forum where events are regularly filled to capacity, a dedicated area where modders can discuss their creations a busy forum where you can join in the discussion with your fellow Assetto Corsa sim racing fans and a special area of the internet where you can share and download setups with other users of the simulation.

Did you enjoy the video from Aris? Did you learn anything useful? Have any driving techniques you wish to share yourself? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I'd like to see something more advanced. I focused almost completely on setups since Assetto corsa came out and not so much on driving techniques. I feel like now i reached a point were driving techniques will make more differences than setups and they will probably help me with setups as well (understanding how a car should feel like when i want to drive it in a particular way).

Great stuff.

Hopefully in future also more advanced techniques, since Aris certainly can give some tips for the "Aliens" too. Good to start with basics, many people new to sim racing (and also people that aren't new) are not aware of them.

Also video on purely making AC setups would be interesting.

Edit: Setups are probably where people struggle with basics even more. At least myself

Last edited:
I'd like to see something more advanced. I focused almost completely on setups since Assetto corsa came out and not so much on driving techniques. I feel like now i reached a point were driving techniques will make more differences than setups and they will probably help me with setups as well (understanding how a car should feel like when i want to drive it in a particular way).

I'm the exact opposite :roflmao: I know literally nothing about setups of cars, so the only thing I can do is stick on the default set, let out some fuel and go driving! I admit a setup helps a lot, but in all honesty in my opinion working on your driving itself is usually the most reliable way to squeeze out the biggest laptime gains.

Or it could be that because I can't set a car up I don't know what I'm talking about :redface:

I'm the exact opposite :roflmao: I know literally nothing about setups of cars, so the only thing I can do is stick on the default set, let out some fuel and go driving! I admit a setup helps a lot, but in all honesty in my opinion working on your driving itself is usually the most reliable way to squeeze out the biggest laptime gains.

Or it could be that because I can't set a car up I don't know what I'm talking about :redface:
Just to be more precise, i'd define my driving skills as quite good, but not at the level of those aliens. Speaking of setups, it's still confusing at times, but the basics are there and on RSR i can easily reach the top 10 with a car/track combo. What misses are those little details that makes the difference between an alien and a good driver and it seems quite hard to find information about it. I read "tune to win" and while it helped a lot with the setup, it left me with many questions. Anyway setups make definitely a difference, especially with some cars with a bad default setup. Just yesterday i tried driving the GTR GT3. It's impossible without changing some stuff.
It would be cool to create posts on the forum for each part of the car (suspension, springs, wings, gears...) and discuss about it (keeping them as sticky posts or something), so that we can accumulate information of any kind, maybe with a practical examples on a couple of cars in a determined track. With time we would be able to create a guide so detailed that all the others would be thrown away.

EDIT: didn't mean to brag about my skills, just wanted to specify what kind of details i'm looking for when working on a setup.

Just to be more precise, i'd define my driving skills as quite good, but not at the level of those aliens. Speaking of setups, it's still confusing at times, but the basics are there and on RSR i can easily reach the top 10 with a car/track combo. What misses are those little details that makes the difference between an alien and a good driver and it seems quite hard to find information about it. I read "tune to win" and while it helped a lot with the setup, it left me with many questions. Anyway setups make definitely a difference, especially with some cars with a bad default setup. Just yesterday i tried driving the GTR GT3. It's impossible without changing some stuff.
It would be cool to create posts on the forum for each part of the car (suspension, springs, wings, gears...) and discuss about it (keeping them as sticky posts or something), so that we can accumulate information of any kind, maybe with a practical examples on a couple of cars in a determined track. With time we would be able to create a guide so detailed that all the others would be thrown away.

EDIT: didn't mean to brag about my skills, just wanted to specify what kind of details i'm looking for when working on a setup.
Not that I disagree with the sentiment, the problem is that most set-ups are highly personal.
I've tried taking some of the set-ups supplied by alien(esque) drivers, and I simply can't drive them.
They're much too fickle for my standards.
I assume it's great if you have the skills and reaction-times to drive it, but not so great in my case.

I think most people have a wrong impression of set-ups.
There's isn't a golden set-up for each combo that'll suddenly make everyone faster.
But if you can make a set-up that makes the driver comfortable, that will in turn mean he's able to push harder because he trusts both the car, and his ability to handle it.
And what makes you fast is getting as close to the limit of the car that you can.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, the problem is that most set-ups are highly personal.
I've tried taking some of the set-ups supplied by alien(esque) drivers, and I simply can't drive them.
They're much too fickle for my standards.
I assume it's great if you have the skills and reaction-times to drive it, but not so great in my case.

I think most people have a wrong impression of set-ups.
There's isn't a golden set-up for each combo that'll suddenly make everyone faster.
But if you can make a set-up that makes the driver comfortable, that will in turn mean he's able to push harder because he trusts both the car, and his ability to handle it.
And what makes you fast is getting as close to the limit of the car that you can.
Don't get me wrong, i've never stated that setup should be downloaded. I create my own setups. I partially agree with what you said. There are things that are personal and that makes you faster because you are more comfortable with the car and there are others that makes you faster because the car has more grip, react better to bumps, has more top speed... I don't think there's a setup that is better for everyone, each one of use has his preferences. But general rules exists (monza =low downforce) and aside from what the driver prefers, knowing when to touch the spring and when to touch the ARB is just something that depends from the car and the track, not the driver. Guides don't go so much in details, they usually states "change this=more oversteer, change that=more understeer", which is good if you just started driving, but it's kind of useless if you have enough experience and you want to go over that.

This I like, I like a lot.. :)

Mmmm you might be on to something with that mate... I'll have to have a think on this one. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to be involved and we can discuss it more if you fancy?

Much welcomed tutorial Aristotelis and Race Department for posting it.
Lets be brutally honest here, how many of these sims we all play can we say their Physics Engineer has actually driven the real life cars that are in the sim title they produce for. Assetto Corsa and iracing are the only two I can think of, yet we see the term, "physics guru" or "physics expert" thrown around certain groups that have never driven the actual real car that is in the sim they produce physics for.
I would rather take driving tips from someone that has actually driven a lot of the real life cars in their game, than one that has never driven none.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back